Hey guys just a quick question what does it mean when the following is said:

Quote by casualty01
Altered Dominant (aka. altered aka. Alt, aka. diminished wholetone scale ... because it starts out like a H-W diminished scale and ends like a wholetone scale, aka pomeroy scale.... named after herb pomeroy .... dude that used to teach at berklee )
1-b2-#2-3-#4-#5-b7 (or you might see it or consider it spelled like so 1-b2-#2-3-b5-b6-b7) either way, same thing...

this chord covers all your bases when coming to a dominant chord lol. the dominant chord is full of inherent tension from the beggining (the 3rd and the 7th creating a tri-tone) and that tension always wants to resolve up a fourth ( it can resolve to major chord, a minor chord, a minor/major 7 chord, or even another dominant) so with the inherent tension ..... why not **** it up even more and create the most beautiful tension you possibly can lol....... the more tension, the better it will resolve up that foruth.

In short, what does resolve mean???
Quote by Aguamento

I'm glad he handled it calmly. Joe Satriani should realize that with only 7 notes in the world, some songs are going to sound similar.

My Gear

Yamaha G-225
Ibanez RG7321
Santa-fe 5 String
Ahead 7A Drumsticks
Resolving is releasing the tension that has been built up. It is usually done through a series of chord movements back to the root, or series of notes that follow the chords back to the root if your soloing.

This is definatly not all there is to resolving, but it is the basics.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Resolution is basically the releasing of built-up tension in a progression. The very end of most popular songs have a strong resolution, usually ending on a great "closing" chord to make it feel like it's finished.

For example, if you were to play I-IV-V-I, the the last I is the resolution of the progression.

MadTaco
"He who controls the past, controls the future. He who controls the present, controls the past." - Orwell