Hi Folks, I have a speaker cabinet (I use it for both Guitar and Bass) with a 160 watt head. The cabinet takes two speakers, but I only have one. I can pick up a speaker for cheap enough, but it is rated for only 100 watts. How likely/easy is it to blow this speaker (i.e., is it worth my while to buy this speaker???) Thanks for your help, Doug.
Depends on the rating of the other speaker. Both speakers, added up, should match or exceed the rating of the head.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
So you're saying that you have one 100 watt speaker and you want to run a 160 watt head through it?

It can and will blow the speaker. If you dont play too loud, it probably wont rip it apart, but I wouldnt take the risk. Just do it properly and have 2 speakers, try to have them together rated above 160 watt to be safe, not too much other though.

And be careful if I'm reading this right, bass and guitar through a single cab? Make sure you have speakers that are rated to handle the bass frequencies.
As long as the other speaker was at least 80 watts it would work.

When you have two speakers of different wattage in the same cab you double the lowest speakers wattage to figure the wattage of the cab hence:

80 watt + 100 watt would be 80x2 which would make a 160 watt cab, not a 180 watt cab.

If that doesn't make sense I can explain it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I would use guitar OR bass, not both at once. So, two speakers (which is what I would set it up as) would decrease the wattage? I have an 8 ohm already, and this one is also rated for 8 ohms. I can connect in series or parallel, and the head can accept an 8 ohm or 16 ohm hook-up. I'll have to check the existing speaker rating (wattage) but I would assume I should be o.k., then. (Does the shared wattage work in either series OR parallel???) Hope I'm being clear enough here...thanks for the responses so far...Doug.
Quote by Kevin Saale
As long as the other speaker was at least 80 watts it would work.

When you have two speakers of different wattage in the same cab you double the lowest speakers wattage to figure the wattage of the cab hence:

80 watt + 100 watt would be 80x2 which would make a 160 watt cab, not a 180 watt cab.

If that doesn't make sense I can explain it.

It makes perfect sense (atleast the equation does-the reasoning I don't get -yet). Very helpful though. I'm going to go check the existing speaker...thanks, Doug.
Quote by TinyRivers
I would use guitar OR bass, not both at once. So, two speakers (which is what I would set it up as) would decrease the wattage? I have an 8 ohm already, and this one is also rated for 8 ohms. I can connect in series or parallel, and the head can accept an 8 ohm or 16 ohm hook-up. I'll have to check the existing speaker rating (wattage) but I would assume I should be o.k., then. (Does the shared wattage work in either series OR parallel???) Hope I'm being clear enough here...thanks for the responses so far...Doug.

But you said you use one cab for both, correct? Thats what I was referring to. Yes, Im pretty sure that the wattage works for both wiring schemes.
I don't know anyone who uses the full capacity of a 100 watt amp. It should be fine.
Unfortunately, the other speaker has nothing noted for wattage, and I can't find anything online from the numbers on back. It was originally paired in this cab with a 16 ohm speaker. I only just found out that this is not supposed to be a good set up (8 ohm and 16 ohm) even though I've used it this way for years (???). Anyway, I'll pick up the 100 watt 8 ohm speaker and replace the 16 ohm and see how it goes. I don't see me using it that loud anyway....thanks for all the replies. Doug.
I hope you're planning on using bass speakers if you're running a bass through that amp...
Yeah, it was originally made as a bass cabinet, and the replacement speaker is supposed to be a bass speaker...the head I've always used is good for both though, and since I've started playing guitar more I'll likely use it for that...Doug.