Page 1 of 3
So I wanted to do a guitar build but my dad said no cause I got too much else going on, and yet for someone reason when I proposed this idea to him he couldn't have jumped at it faster. Anyways here's my build. It's a guitar case that holds 2 guitars, I'm not sure if this has ever been done before, I googled a little, didn't see much but yeah, that's my build. Since I live in America and we use USD, my budget is $144.56. I plan on making it a 3 layer case wrapped in snakeskin looking tolex. It will be wood, and Styrofoam building material for the inside, wrapped in black plush, or velure. So here's some specs for you guys, it's all I got so far.

Dual Guitar Case.

41"x15 3/4"x5 1/2"
2 2 1/4" Layers (Guitar layers), and 1 1" layer (Top layer)
Guitars will be embedded 2" deep
Wood is just regular plywood
Snakeskin tolex on the outside, black plush, or velure on the inside.

Now the pics.

Last edited by Comrade Curry at Mar 9, 2009,
Well I'm idealing trying to going for as light as possible, this means it won't be solid wood, in fact there will be more Styrofoam and empty space then wood, but yes it will be heavier than the average guitar case for the obvious reason, I just wanted to be able to bring two axes in one case rather than bring two cases.
Looks good but since it would still be pretty heavy you might want to put two little caster wheels on the bottom end of the case and a handle on the other end to make it easier to carry around.
Quote by 100%guitarmad
Safe!

First time I've seen anyone outside of my circle of friends use the term "safe!" as an expression of admiration.

Sorry, that's irrelevant.

Very interesting build, by the way. I was wondering if people would build gear other than guitars for the 100 pound challenge.
Quote by Comrade Curry
I have a question, does anybody know the name of the user who can get you discounted parts I think it was? Or maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else?

LP Addict or nuthinbuttrubl8 are both licensed dealers of parts from allparts, and nuthinbuttrubl8 also does a few other places. Send of them a PM.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
by carpet you mean fur like material (carpet would be too hard on the paint)

tolex and fur like material you can get in a fabric store

tolex 10$ a yard
fur material 5$ a yard

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Quote by Nagashiro
by carpet you mean fur like material (carpet would be too hard on the paint)

tolex and fur like material you can get in a fabric store

tolex 10$ a yard
fur material 5$ a yard

Yea I already knew that, and no I didn't mean carpet I'm pretty sure I said plush or velure.
ddduuuddeee...... thats gunna be a bitch to carry, weight wise, but thats a freakin awesome idea!

sell it to a company and make mucho moneys!
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Quote by Johansensan
ddduuuddeee...... thats gunna be a bitch to carry, weight wise, but thats a freakin awesome idea!

sell it to a company and make mucho moneys!

Lol tell you the truth, that's REALLY why I'm building it, see if I can make a quick buck off it lol, oh well if it doesn't work out, I'll still have a nice case.
Quote by Comrade Curry
Lol tell you the truth, that's REALLY why I'm building it, see if I can make a quick buck off it lol, oh well if it doesn't work out, I'll still have a nice case.

lol if it doesnt work out still go to someone and be like hey! heres my idea, ill sell it for... 1 MILLION DOLLARS
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
The thing is, unless the caster bearings are perfectly perpindicular to the ground, the wheels wont swivel, leaving you basically with set wheels that are much more prone to breaking off. unless you put 4 on. Just a thought.

Edit: You may have already beat me to it, but if you havent already, then you should make the 2 guitars point opposite directions so that the weight of the bodies balance each other and then you dont have to offset the handle as much
Last edited by mattocaster99 at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by mattocaster99
The thing is, unless the caster bearings are perfectly perpindicular to the ground, the wheels wont swivel, leaving you basically with set wheels that are much more prone to breaking off. unless you put 4 on. Just a thought.

Edit: You may have already beat me to it, but if you havent already, then you should make the 2 guitars point opposite directions so that the weight of the bodies balance each other and then you dont have to offset the handle as much

Thats a good point in your edit, the guitars would balance each other out so that you could put the handle in the middle right?
Alright so as kind of an update to this thread, my dad said next weekend we'd go to the store and get the basic building materials (Wood, stuff to make the forms for the guitars), so yeah. I've also been thinking of a metal edging on it, what would be a good material to use, I hear maybe aluminum? But maybe there's something else.

Also, here's a pic of the stuff to make the forms for the guitars, kind of.

Don't you just wrap the guitar in plastic, spray foam, and set the guitar in, so it fits like a glove when foam dries?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Comrade Curry
Also here's the snakeskin I'm gettin' for it to give you guys an idea, I remember a guy who recovered a half stck with this, among other things, and that's what I wanted the case to look like.

Hey, NICE build idea! I could see this one having very practical applications, even as a soft-shell case option.

Ok, the REAL reason I posted.... WHERE DID YOU GET THAT TOLEX?!?! I'm going to buy some as soon as you tell me, so I can redo my half-stack.
Quote by Øttər
Don't you just wrap the guitar in plastic, spray foam, and set the guitar in, so it fits like a glove when foam dries?

Because, I'm afraid it would fit too well? And I would have to sand it so that it would fit a little better, well I don't know how to do that honestly, but it does sound like it may be worth investigating.

Quote by SoulTrip
Hey, NICE build idea! I could see this one having very practical applications, even as a soft-shell case option.

Ok, the REAL reason I posted.... WHERE DID YOU GET THAT TOLEX?!?! I'm going to buy some as soon as you tell me, so I can redo my half-stack.

Thank you, I got it at http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/products.asp?id=45012, really just googled tolex lol. I think nuthinbuttrubl8 gives you a discount from that place, but I'm not sure.
I just thoguht that was how it's done, is all.

I mean, then you would have the perfect shape of the guitar, and all you would need is some really grit sandpaper. It would be great.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
I just thoguht that was how it's done, is all.

I mean, then you would have the perfect shape of the guitar, and all you would need is some really grit sandpaper. It would be great.

Well some questions come into play really, how do you creat a square form for it? Well you could use the case I guess, but what material would you use? Only thing I can think of is Great Stuff.

And that stuff is hard to control as far as expandability, consistency, etc., so for the ease of it I'm going with the construction foam, but thanks for the thought, I don't really know how they do it, so I'm taking a guess.
I don't know... Someone suggested it in another case building thread, and I thought it was a great idea.

Upon further examination, it is a terrible idea.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
For the record, it has been done before, I'll try finding it now
I think it was on guitarsampsandkeyboards
But yeah, I was looking at one not long ago, not for use, just browsing accessories

It does however look like it'll be a real cool case to own!
Quote by tushmeister
For the record, it has been done before, I'll try finding it now
I think it was on guitarsampsandkeyboards
But yeah, I was looking at one not long ago, not for use, just browsing accessories

It does however look like it'll be a real cool case to own!

Yeah tell you the truth I've found alot of people who have done it, but oh well I'll have my own
Alright, got home from school today, gathered up some money, and headed to Lowe's. Got a 2' x 4' x 3/4" and 4' x 4' x 1/4" sheets of plywood, and a 4' x 8' x 1/2" of blue insulation sheeting. Cost $33/$150. Now the pics.

4' x 4' x 1/4"

Scale of the width to my 1/2" finger.

2' x 4' x 3/4"

4' x 8' x 1/2" of blue insulation sheeting

dude, that is the awesomest idea ever, wanna sell me one you make? haha
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
2008 Ibanez AEG20E A/E Cutaway
2011 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro
Amps:
Epiphone Valve Jr. Halfstack BitMo Trio Modded
60W All Tube Egnater Renegade Head and Cab.
Quote by evortre
dude, that is the awesomest idea ever, wanna sell me one you make? haha

...are you serious? I mean, this is kind of an experiment a little, see what materials could be used, the cost etc. OH, and also on the build part I changed the design a little, see there's still the bottom level with the guitar, but the the level will have the guitar on the opposite original side, if that makes sense, and will be held by straps, it'll reduce the weight ALOT.
and yeah, i could be serious. haha, depending on my economical situations. lol. if it comes out sweet, i might have to take one off your hands! :P
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
2008 Ibanez AEG20E A/E Cutaway
2011 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro
Amps:
Epiphone Valve Jr. Halfstack BitMo Trio Modded
60W All Tube Egnater Renegade Head and Cab.
Alright guys heres a little update to the build, cut the wood and will be glueing shortly, problem is, some of my wood bent so I'll have to fix it when i place the wood to glue.

Wood pieces

Bottom piece

Curved wood

Just anchor it with some screw if you need.

this is looking Fittttt, throw some wheels on this badboy and and it could be much easier to carry(drag) around!
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by halvies
great idea! kudos to you for thinking outside the box and good luck

Thanks for all the compliments guys, it's starting to come together and take shape, I'm really getting excited, too bad I can't buy stuff till probably another 10-14 days Oh well. Next purchase will be covering materials But before that I have to let my glue dry and form the guitar molds. Pics to get you pic junkies your fill lol

1 of 2 of the case pieces. (Notice the football from the mill?)

Case pieces that hold the guitars, this also includes new design, eliminating a layer, and making it similar to a regular case, except for the two guitars

If anybody's wondering why there's no clamps its because I put about 1000 nails in 'em so they're pretty solid.
Page 1 of 3