Poll: illegal music downloading?
Poll Options
View poll results: illegal music downloading?
Arrrrgh!
416 76%
nay >:(!!!!
130 24%
Voters: 548.
Page 1 of 4
I dunno if i'm allowed to talk about torrents but i'm interested to see whether ultimate-guitar likes to download music illegally or legally.

So if your a scurvy intertube pirate raise your right wooden leg and say Arrrgh and if your a self-righteous nay sayer say nay
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.
I buy almost all of my music.

I've torrented no more then 10 albums.

I still buy albums [unlike many others]. I buy physical CDs FTW.

I have torrented lots of games, and downloaded practically all... "images" on my computer.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I download music illegally purely because it is unethical.

Also, if I hate a particular artist, I download all their music illegally just so they lose money. Take that you stupid fucking Jonas Brothers!
Quote by Trefellin

Also, if I hate a particular artist, I download all their music illegally just so they lose money. Take that you stupid fucking Jonas Brothers!

They're not losing money if you weren't going to buy it in the first place...
There hath he lain for ages and will lie,
Battening on huge seaworms in his sleep;
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by man and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.
Quote by Trefellin

I'm sorry, but you really must be simple.
torrents aren't illegal. downloading copyrighted material is.
Quote by iceman95
ok
here's what you do
1. Take a fork, preferably metal.
2. Put some tomato sauce on it.
3. Let tomato sauce on fork dry.
4. Turn it in and call it: "The Spaghetti Massacre."

New guitar fund = beer/0
Quote by Trefellin

Thats just your excuse for downloading the Joe Bros. *Goes and deletes Jonas Brothers Albums*
I'm Luke.
I torrent pretty much everything, as of now.

I'll start buying stuff once I get a job.

EDIT: And even then, I'll still probably torrent a ton. There's too much damn music I want to listen to, I can't afford it all.
Last edited by goldmember1217 at Jan 4, 2009,
I download and really don't care that people think it's wrong.

If I paid for everything I listened to then I would literally never be able to buy anything else.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
No. I like buying CDs.

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

I rarely torrent music.
I prefer to have the physical album.
But whenever I do use torrents, most of the time I still go out and buy the album.
I download. I no longer have a CD player worth listening to, so I listen to everything once it has been ripped anyway.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
we recieved cease and desist letters and threatened with vourt action. my sister downlaods torrents and limewires every day.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
I'm an avid user of Waffles and What as well as a slew of other private trackers. If I had the money I'd prefer to buy more albums but that's just the way it goes.
Quote by Simsimius
I have torrented lots of games, and downloaded practically all... "images" on my computer.

XD
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
Quote by Simsimius
I buy physical CDs FTW.

Quote by Alpha_Wolf
I like buying CDs.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
I often download music, but only to check new bands and new albums. I don't want to waste money in albums that I don't like, so I download just to have a listen first. Then if I really like it I will buy it.
I buy CDs, but I have started downloading stuff that I wouldn't buy on CD. The band don't lose any money, because I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, I get a free CD and the band get the possibility that I become a fan, buy more of their albums and go to gigs.

Also, I can't download on my uni network so I have to buy albums at uni.
I can't lie and say I'm a pure angel and don't download anything, in fact I download relatively a lot of music, but even though I still go to school ergo don't earn any money, I try to much of the music I downloaded in CD for as I can. F.ex. I just paid out of my ass to get Fortress ordered (they don't sell it in Poland) but I love the CD, that I just bare having the torrented copy any longer.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Yes, I sure do like free st-

AWW FUCK BRO!
Why are his pants down?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Abhorred One
They're not losing money if you weren't going to buy it in the first place...

This.
Unless he plans to distriubute it?

Anyway, on topic. If I want to discover a new artist, get songs that are hard to find, or I just don't care, I download it.

If I really like an artist/album, I'll buy their music. I buy loads of tees and stuff anyway, so I replace what's lost, kinda.

You need an "inbetween" option in the poll.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Last edited by Stratoblaster73 at Jan 4, 2009,
because im usually low on money i torrent albums. but when a cd im looking forward too comes out, like the new offspring cd, i buy it.

i also torrent albums from bands ive never heard before so i dont waste like 15-20 bucks on a cd, which is just bull**** pricing.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
i do both. if i just want a song or two off a album i download but if i want the whole album ill either buy off of itunes or get the physical copy. im not going to pay $15 when all i want is two songs and im not putting .99 cent charges on my card to buy them off of itunes either
Since most of the music I listen to isn't available in Indian record stores, I have no option but to download music. Also, there arent any laws that prevent it either.
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Quote by Trefellin

your an idiot you realize that them "losing money" is due to people not buying their cd's but downloading them...so all you have to do is not buy their album and its the same thing idiot
Honestly, hypothetically if I do torrent (take that, feds) I get albums that I wouldn't have anyway. This makes me more likely to buy their other albums, and opens me up to music I would not have been exposed to otherwise. Hypothetically if this is what I do, I still would buy albums.
Quote by Poglia
I often download music, but only to check new bands and new albums. I don't want to waste money in albums that I don't like, so I download just to have a listen first. Then if I really like it I will buy it.

This.
Except I don't have a job so I usually just download the albums cause I'm always broke.
i do abit of both i mean
i wanted dragonforces inhuman rampage and it was £16
so i downloaded it yeah
but ive bought four albums 2day
but i like buying albums more it just gives me a special feel that downloading can't
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
I torrent most of my music purely because I wouldn't have enough money to buy all of it, and so much of what I listen to is very obscure and hard to get hold of on a physical medium, and having no credit card of my own I can't buy **** over the internet easily
ohai little sig.
Quote by Trefellin

Please explain how an artist loses money by you downloading their stuff and then deleting it, or how it really makes a difference in anything at all.

EDIT: there was someone else who said the same thing. You are a retard my friend.

On topic, no I do not download music. I ask for a ton of itunes giftcards for xmas and birthday from mi madre y padre.
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
Last edited by B4Dkarma at Jan 4, 2009,
I listen to music, don't look at me like if ur a secret cop on the internet seeing who does illegal internet downloads.
I'm 13 and buy all my music. I'm the only one I know who is my age that does that. For some reason I take a lot of heat for it
bands/artists I've seen: Protest the Hero, LIGHTS, Andrew Bird, Flight of the Conchords, Incubus, Nine Inch Nails, Between the Buried and Me, Guthrie Govan, Cynic, The Devin Townsend Project, Scale the Summit, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Darkest Hour
I don't illegally download music. Mainly because I'm an artist and I realise how insulting it would be to think that people didn't consider my music worth the money, and annoying it would be to not have any control over it.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I download most of my music and only buy CDs from my favourite bands(the ones that are well known atleast, they didn't even have Cynic's traced in air when it came out)
Page 1 of 4