I just suddenly got some money, and from what I've gathered it's best to improve amp before guitar, especially as my amp REALLY sucks. I'm currently really liking the peavey vypyr, and was wondering how high up the gig chain I'd be able to go with the 75 watt model, and the 120 model.

Like, bottom of the chain is a school talent show with like 50-100 people there...

Basically I like how they sound, but would they be able to cope with a band setting? Or should I get a tube?

Thanks very much.

NL
if your looking at the vypyr 120 watt, im guessing your budget is around 700? at that you can get a fairly nice tube amp used. whats your genre? what kind of guitar? any features you want specifically?
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
if your looking at the vypyr 120 watt, im guessing your budget is around 700? at that you can get a fairly nice tube amp used. whats your genre? what kind of guitar? any features you want specifically?

My guitar's a Squier...actually fairly decent to be honest...my guitar shop's cool and they set it up well...but still a Squier.

And basically I want to move on from my little practice amp that I got with the guitar.

And I didn't realise the 120 watt was that expensive (I really hope you mean $700 not £700)...I'm not sure I want to spend quite that much on my second amp :P.

Lets say my budgets around 120-300 (pounds, so about 200-500 dollars)...and I play metal mostly, but I'm into other genres aswell, and there's every possibility I'll be playing in a worship band sometime soon...although that'll probably be with my bass.
120 aint that expensive. its somewhere in the 300/400 range
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
Hey, I was looking into the amps in more detail, and I'm definetly getting one, all that remains is deciding which model.

I noticed only the 60 and 120 Watt models have "Real 6LC tube power", how much does that matter? and only the 100 and the 75 Watt models have "Patented "PowerSponge" technology"

How much do those things matter?
Also looking at the cost I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to afford the 120, but if I can, I think I will...But some answers to my above question would be MUCH appreciated

NL
It's a shame your budget is just under Tube amp level. Is there no way you can save up another 100 at least till you can afford something you could keep for life?
Most people decide to go tube and with those modelling amps, you'll be happy for a while..

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
The 60 and 120 ARE TUBE AMPS and the rest are solid state. They have 4 6L6's in the power section and 2(i think) 12AX7's in the preamp. So you get the best of both worlds, tube and modeling. Plus the distortion is analog not digital so you get real tube overdrive/distortion!

The 60W would be more than enough for most gigs except an arena or huge hall but by the time you're playing those you'll have money for much better gear anyway! And if you find it isn't loud enough which I doubt, you can add a cab to it to push some more air around!

Hope that helped!
____________My Gear:___________

Bad SX starter kit Guitar
Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250
Bugera 333xl 212 Fund $0/$880

Finally got myspace, go check it out ---> www.myspace.com/ianbearmusic
Woop, I'm almost definetly getting the 60 then, I just hope there aren't any features missing, like the USB 2.0 plug and the CD/MP3 in...*goes to check*

Thanks very much mate.

Also does it matter that there's only 1x12" speaker, rather than the 2x12" that are on the 100/120?

EDIT: Been looking and I now think the only 2 options are the 75 and the 60. Choices Choices...
Last edited by NinjaLamppost at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by NinjaLamppost
Woop, I'm almost definetly getting the 60 then, I just hope there aren't any features missing, like the USB 2.0 plug and the CD/MP3 in...*goes to check*

Thanks very much mate.

Also does it matter that there's only 1x12" speaker, rather than the 2x12" that are on the 100/120?

EDIT: Been looking and I now think the only 2 options are the 75 and the 60. Choices Choices...

Don't worry about the speaker, you'll be fine with 1 12".

As far as the 60 vs the 75, if it's true that the 60 is tube and the 75 is solid, definitely go for the 60.
yea, that 60 should be fregin loud....that powersponge will be RLY handy for bedroom practice. *sigh* i wish these things had been out when i bought my first real amp instead of the spider III's... oh well!

looks like your on the right track, dude!

EDIT:
wow, i didn't know that they had an MxPx buddy icon, awesome lol
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Jan 5, 2009,
I don't mean to burst all your bubbles but:

1.) can anyone confirm that the 60 and 120 are actually shipping?

2.) you can call it all tube if you like but 1- 12AX7 preamp make it a hybrid amp in my book.

3.) sure, you'll get power tube saturation if you crank it up but the rest is transtube technology as far as I can tell.

4.) never played a 60 a 120 let alone seen one.

5.) Not a vypyr hater.
^buzzkill. JK

I haven't seen them out yet either and I concur on 1-5 above. Does your squier have a bridge humbucker pup or three single coils? I liked the vypyr I tried but it was the small 15wattr.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I certainly think that the Peavey Vypyrs are ideal for what you're looking for as for what you're using them for, some modeling capability would be quite useful as you explore your musical tastes further. The 75w should be loud enough for most purposes and sits nicely in the budget at £249. The price of the 60w valve version hasn't been announced yet to the best of my knowledge but I think it will be a bit over £300 otherwise who'd buy the 75w? As it's tube driven I would anticipate the 60w being slightly louder than the 75w and from what I've heard the 75w is bloody loud! Having said that, the 75w with the power sponge would probably be better at bedroom levels. I'd wait until the price of the 60w is announced and if it's too expensive just get the 75w. If it is affordable, then try them both and decide from there.

As an alternative to the Peavey Vypyr (and as some people have already bemoaned the fact that you're not going all valve) I have a couple of valve alternatives for you to consider.

Peavey Valve King 112 - £279
This is about the cheapest valve amp available that is powerful enough for a decent sized gig and as such appeals to the valve purists. I tried one a couple of years ago and while I wouldn't say it was a bad amp, I just didn't find it that special. For a valve amp I was expecting more. Having said that, a lot of people seem to use them and love them so it's at least worth a try to compare it to the Vypyr at your local store.

Peavey Valve King 212 - £339
A touch over budget I know but I thought I'd mention it just in case having another 12" speaker was important to you.

Laney VC30
Normally I'd say that these would be too expensive but they seem quite cheap at GAK at the moment. They're selling one with 2 X 10" speakers for £335 and it's slightly bigger brother with 2 x 12" speakers at £380. These amps aren't Metal monsters so you'd need a pedal to get them into any kind of high gain area but the underlying tone is really excellent and could be a longer term investment.

These are all worthy of consideration (otherwise I wouldn't have suggested them) though if I were you I'd still be tempted to see what price the 60w Vypyr is and go from there.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
The two things i'd be looking at if I were you:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77820
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/line6-flextone/7072

Both pretty much perfect for you, try them both out. The valve-poweramp vypyrs aren't in the shops yet, least of all in the UK and I don't anticipate them to be for a while so...

Reason that I excluded tube amps from that is because at that price, unless you go bargainhunting then none will really be able to handle high levels of gain and will often not be versatile, so I think either of those would be perfect really.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't mean to burst all your bubbles but:

1.) can anyone confirm that the 60 and 120 are actually shipping?

2.) you can call it all tube if you like but 1- 12AX7 preamp make it a hybrid amp in my book.

3.) sure, you'll get power tube saturation if you crank it up but the rest is transtube technology as far as I can tell.

4.) never played a 60 a 120 let alone seen one.

5.) Not a vypyr hater.

Please read the facts BEFORE you post something stupid like this. As i said the 60w and 120w have 4 6L6's in the power amp!! But unfortunately you are right about one thing...they aren't shipping yet The new date is 01-05-2009.
____________My Gear:___________

Bad SX starter kit Guitar
Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250
Bugera 333xl 212 Fund $0/$880

Finally got myspace, go check it out ---> www.myspace.com/ianbearmusic
Quote by frets15
Please read the facts BEFORE you post something stupid like this. As i said the 60w and 120w have 4 6L6's in the power amp!! But unfortunately you are right about one thing...they aren't shipping yet The new date is 01-05-2009.

I never said they didn't. As a matter of fact, I said this:

"2.) you can call it all tube if you like but 1- 12AX7 preamp make it a hybrid amp in my book.

3.) sure, you'll get power tube saturation if you crank it up but the rest is transtube technology as far as I can tell."