so ive been slowly working on my body build, and im going over finishes for it now. i was going to oil it, but since this is going to take abuse, and i want it to last a while pretty maintenance free finish(i dont want to be re-oiling it every few months), im looking into a nitro finish instead. i have a low end RG(370 or something) body ive been testing stuff on (sanding, paint, etc) and will try it out on that body before putting it on the good wood.

i read the stewmac little bit on how to do it and while it kinda answered some questions it raised a few more...

its a maple top/mahogany body, it said i needed grain filler for the mahogany, but also said to use a brown or medium color, instead of clear... Could i go with clear or will it be white?

out of the 5 steps, 4 of them had Behlen Nitrocellulose Stringed Instrument Lacquer as a option for what to use (wash coat, sealer, color coat, clear coat), so if i got that would it cover my needs? and would it need to be applied differently for the different steps?

now ive been under the impression this stuff needs to be sprayed on, but it didnt say it anywhere. could i brush it on if i went with light coats and buffed between to get a smooth finish or am i setting myself up for disaster and should find a sprayable nitro?

now from my reading it sounds like i'd do my stain/burst, grain filler, then 12-15 coats of nitro over the course of a few days, sand to 600 or 800 grit, then buff the hell out of it? i feel i misread or am missing something. did i get/guess it right?
Last edited by chris024 at Jan 4, 2009,
lol nitro wont last that long unless your going for a reliced look
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Also, if you intend to use the guitar in the next couple of months, then the Nitro won't have cured.

If you buff it before it has cured, you will have to buff it again.

Can you access any spray equipment (small ish compressor, cheap gravity spray gun)?
that actually kinda pushed me in that direction, i dont mind it aging, it "seems" to hold up better than oil, and look better than other hard finishes. its going to be a wood finish, with either a light stain or a burst around the edges, and oil if i can oil under it. if im going in the wrong direction with nitro, let me know, but after 5 year of playing it, i do want it to eventually age into its own, i just want a bit more protection than i think oil only is going to give me.
Quote by Skeet UK
Also, if you intend to use the guitar in the next couple of months, then the Nitro won't have cured.

Can you access any spray equipment (small ish compressor, cheap gravity spray gun)?

??
edit: ^ you posted after i started my reply

Quote by Skeet UK

i can wait on it, i want this thing to be my baby, and i dont even have a neck built or bought for it yet. the body isnt even routed yet, i have a few different plans im deciding between (HH, P90,P90, HS, SH). i just want to try out the finish on the RG before doing it on this one to find out the issues i might have before i do it on the body i care about. this is a long work in progress that im not in a huge rush to finish, and i'd rather do it right, than fast.

i think a few friends have airbrush guns? i might have a wagner power sprayer i can get access to as well. not the greatest options.. would i be better off doing oil with a easier to apply hard finish?
No worries.

If you have time and you WANT a Nitro finish, then by all means go for it.

If you can borrow a compressor etc or some sort of spray equipment, then a 2 Pack automotive clear coat, will give a much more durable, very quick curing and glossier finish.

This is kind of something I know a bit about, so if you want to know anything, I shall endeavour to enlighten you.

Oil with Wax gives a very nice finish, especially for natural finishes and it will be easier and cheaper to do than Nitro or any other clear. All you have to do is maintain it, but that can be a pleasure in itself.

Speak to JCSCustom for that matey.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jan 4, 2009,
You canget incredibly nice finishes with acryllic lacquer spray paint, like Duplicolor or something.

If you use that as a clear coat and buff it, you will have a better than factory looking finish.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.