Wanna get into funk bass, need some inspiration, and I mean like slap, not super fast ****, but good slap, or just normal funk--aaay playing.

No RHCP/Flea please.
He sucks.

Sort of.

In an educated way.

On a completely different topic, can you give me some names of bands / sol oartists that play with distortion on their bass, other than cliff.
Last edited by SlayedInTheFace at Jan 4, 2009,
Sly and the Family Stone and Graham Central Station both have Larry Graham, who invented slap.

Tower of Power and the various P-funk bands have some great finger style bass (the later also has a bit of slap).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Jamiroquai have some excellent stuff on their early albums.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Check out Infrectious grooves, even though thats really fast slap.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Try Commodores - Brick house. Good song to learn funk slap. The ohio players, Jamiroquai, Tower of Power, James brown, stuff like that. Learn finger funk first, and then go into slap.
DB Player
That's this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRvB6TFo3SU&watch_response

I suppose Wooten and stuff is what you're looking at.

However, it's very hard if you haven't slapped for long.

Take a look at...

You Can't Hold No Groove by Victor Wooten: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmFljE9gRc

and this bass solo by Mark King: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMzXtizKcXY
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Wanna get into funk bass, need some inspiration, and I mean like slap, not super fast ****, but good slap, or just normal funk--aaay playing.

No RHCP/Flea please.
He sucks.

Sort of.

In an educated way.

On a completely different topic, can you give me some names of bands / sol oartists that play with distortion on their bass, other than cliff.

I'm not going to say flea is the best bassist. He's not by anyway means, but a lot of bassists, including myself, owe a lot to him for introducing them to slap. Also saying he sucks is pretty ridiculous, some of his solos are pretty impressive.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
I'm not going to say flea is the best bassist. He's not by anyway means, but a lot of bassists, including myself, owe a lot to him for introducing them to slap. Also saying he sucks is pretty ridiculous, some of his solos are pretty impressive.

Yes.

On topic: Marcus Miller is pretty damn funky. I don't think he's been mentioned in this thread (sorry if he was, I didn't read it very closely). He's got that funky jazz sound somewhat similar to Victor Wooten and Stanley Clarke.

Jaco Pastorius has some pretty funky stuff too. Check out "Come On Come Over" and "Kuru Speak Like a Child."
as for distorted check out Death From Above 1979

EDIT: and just an FYI his "distorted tone" isn't as easy to replicate as others because rather than using pedals he rewired his amp.
GEAR
Fender American Jazz Standard Bass
EHX Russian Big Muff
Boss SYB-5 synth
Peavy Max 700 Bass Amp w/ Peavy Pro 410 Bass Cab
Ampeg BA-115T

Quote by loudog93
divide by zero records

destroys the phonebook
Last edited by BubbaBassGuitar at Jan 4, 2009,
You seem to want that psuedofunk type stuff of Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke and maybe Mark King. They all have that really distinct stylistic-dead-notes-everywhere kind of sound.

For funk stuff as well as distorted playing check out some Larry Graham in Sly and the Family Stone and Graham Central Station.
sex in a pan by bela flek is a pretty good song

check some victor wooten, marcus miller and some jamiroquai
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.