Hi everyone I am new here and I have started playing bass about 10 months ago. I am not very great at playing bass I do not practice as much as I should. Anyways down to what I came here to ask for I seen this video on youtube and I love the style he is playing Just that very very low drop tuning it sounds evil. Anyways I do not know any bands besides Korn and Mudvayne who drop there basses down very low.

Btw here is the video i spoke of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K57w9pdJPnY

What is he playing? does he make that up as he goes?

Also is there any bassists who play that low dropped? Because I would like to learn some very low metal bass lines. I am not sure where to look for new music.
alex webster from cannibal corpse has a pretty cool sound, im not sure if he drops it that low, but listen to the lil fill in hammer smashed face and i think you'd like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTpQOZcNASw

or paolo gregoletto from trivium plays drop d on a 4 string i think and standard 5 but listen to the solo in becoming the dragon its cool
Itll be difficult to play like him, he is using a warwick vampire which is factory tuned to F sharp which is very low, Im guessing your using a small practise amp, which wont be able to produce very low tunings. Not to put you off though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Thanks man! I already knew of Trivium there good but Drop D was not what I was looking for, I mean like Drop C and lower to get that very deep rumbly sound.

I like the bass Cannibal Corpse Hammer Smashed face *i just checked it out* but I do not like the vocals. I like Morbid Angel... the old stuff but I listened to them years ago I cant even remember if they even go below Drop D or not. Anyways I will keep listening to cannibal corpse just to see what else they got. Just keep posting stuff you know of and anyone else I appreciate it!
Quote by fatgoogle
Itll be difficult to play like him, he is using a warwick vampire which is factory tuned to F sharp which is very low, Im guessing your using a small practise amp, which wont be able to produce very low tunings. Not to put you off though.

I am not sure if I am using a practice amp or not I bought a Kustom KBA30 10 watt from a guy at my local music shop and he told me it could handle any tuning before I purchased it from him. Also I am playing a 5 string Ibanez and I have tuned it to F# B E A on the top low end strings (the fat strings) and it sounded fine to me it had a nice clunk to it I cant explain the sound... I know i need a better amp though! Thanks for the reply!
Ok, im not really into metal so have never gone lower than b, and my 15" speaker had trouble reproducing that.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I believe you man I think I broke my Amp because now its hissing and making a weird woosh noise and fading out I have not tried tuning back into standard and seeing if that would fix it.

EDIT:

Nevermind my amp is fine but it was having problems with the very low tuning F# I have tuned it to Drop C and I can tell you I never had problems with that though
Last edited by Eviscerate at Jan 4, 2009,
is he playing an F# through a 210?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I believe so. Eh If your serious about Low tunings and ever go into a band, youll need a good amp, With some good 15's
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
am i the only one that hates that type of growl, it just sounds like thumps
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
Yeah lol it does sound just like thumps but i like it, Also i like the click fieldy gets from his bass when he cuts out his mid range I know there is not many fieldy fans :P But i do appreciate good bass lines also slap and pop and solos But i thought i would try some of those metal bass lines and that video with the vampyre was awesome
God hoq do you like Fieldy, I look up a bass solo it sounded like the drums were playing some weird ****.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
rofl o_o whats hoq mean? anyways if anyone knows anything else besides cannibal corpse with some deep bass lines please post thanks everyone!
Quote by Eviscerate
rofl o_o whats hoq mean? anyways if anyone knows anything else besides cannibal corpse with some deep bass lines please post thanks everyone!

have you ever noticed hoq Q and W aren next to each other on a keyboard?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
oyd mpy nu gsiky.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I can watch but cant hear it, i blew up my soundcard.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
it sucks.

happy?
Quote by guitarhero_764

lol that's cool you know everyone is hostile here! because i bring up metal and like the bass dropped down low till it sounds like "****" as some would maybe describe it.

LoL @ person who's sound card blew up X_X

Your sound card could not handle teh Pwnage

Thanks for watching though
Quote by Eviscerate
lol that's cool you know everyone is hostile here! because i bring up metal and like the bass dropped down low till it sounds like "****" as some would maybe describe it.

No ones saying anything about metal. And to be honest, it doesnt really sound very good through computer speakers when the "bass is dropped down r8 low"

p.s. learn how to sarcasm
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by Eviscerate

I blew it up through my awesomeness, when i was recording a bassline so awesome my computer decided the world should not hear it.

I have nothing against metal, i listen to it, well some, I just dont like fieldy like clacky, he obviosuly never learned how to raise the action on his bass or ibanez refused to do it for him and i prefer my basslines to be more audable.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by fatgoogle
I blew it up through my awesomeness, when i was recording a bassline so awesome my computer decided the world should not hear it.

Nice 1 i hope i become that pr0 one day

Once again thanks for the comments / help o_____o....
..I'm going to defend Fieldy's tone. Have you ever listened to any Korn albums through a decent sound system? "Follow the Leader" and "Issues" would be the best albums. I'm not even a Korn fan, but I'd love to get his mix of low end rumble and high end clank. People who say "it's an annoying trebley click" are just wrong. There is a great low end rumble that drives EVERY Korn song i've heard.

Korn - Hey Daddy

Is that an annoying, trebley tone? No, it's a great deep, thumping bass line. The album before and after this also contained more bass tones like this.

EDIT : The question you asked. How about this?

Symphony X - Domination

Symphony X - Sea of Lies

Opeth - Harvest

I think these three songs cover what you were after? two have low, thumpy tones and the other has a more trebley feel to it.
Last edited by Micehorns at Jan 4, 2009,
Thanks! Symphony X is something i might wanna try to learn. About the korn thing yeah that tone is cool as hell but you know the song "predictable" right? That's got a cool tone too not so much click as most songs, more deep goes nice with the drums imo....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfKHAIc84Tw

there is a link if anyone wants to listen, well i gotta go to bed now i have to work tomorrow.
Yea man, Fieldy is really good. I mean, flailing at an open string? Genius.

Anyways, the guy in that video is using a bass that is made with F#BEA as the standard tuning in mind. So it's just a really low bass and he's doing some random improv by the looks of it. I don't listen to any bands that have a tone like that but I'd recommend looking around some standard death metal and maybe some grindcore.
lol, quit picking on fieldy guys, I don't even like Korn but he isn't that bad.

You should check out Meshuggah TS, the bass is fairly audible and there's some deep basslines(he plays a 5 string tuned to B flat I think.) Also check out the instrumental band Blotted science, Alex webster plays bass for them and tunes a five string to Drop A.
Quote by watchingmefall
IIRC Cannibal Corpse plays in E or Eb. Let me go check.

EDIT: Just checked, yeah it's Eb.

They used to, at least. I don't really listen to any significant amount of Cannibal Corpse, but on Kill (from -06) they definitely tune a lot lower then Eb.
Fler Ismaskiner!