I've been reading about the scales in:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?%20t=519196

I don't understand when you're supposed to go up a string, and what it represents. As in, does going up one string mean a half step, or a full step? And when do you know you're supposed to go up a string?

And If I learn these scales, what will they help me out the most in? Writing basslines, or bass solo's (Which are essentially the same thing, but different)?
Don't think about scales in terms of strings and frets. Think about them in terms of notes and intervals.

It will help you in basslines and bass solos.

If you want you can play whole scale on one string, but that's not practical.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Playing guitar is all about playing efficiently. Most guitar players try to get the most bang out of one area on the neck - this is not only highly efficient, but it's less tiring. As DarTHie mentioned, you can play a scale on one string, but it's just not efficient to do so. Your arm would be tired after one song.

There are several sites that teach scales, as well as many different books. "Total Scales Techniques And Applications" by Mark John Sternal is one such book. There are many, many others, but I'd recommend this one. Guitar Center sells it and you can also find it online.
A whole step is 2 frets (a major 2nd interval)
A half step is 1 fret (a minor 2nd interval)

It doesn't have to do with string skipping. It just looks like it. The lesson skips strings to get to the next notes in the scale easier than going up frets on the same string.

Learning scales should help you learn bass lines AND solos. I think bass lines are more a rhythmic thing of their own with notes that correlate to the rhythm guitar. I don't play bass though, so I don't know. BUT, knowing scales will make it easier.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jan 4, 2009,
I understand that you can scale up one string, I'm able to do that already. I was just wondering how to do it with several strings, and when we know when to go up.

In terms of guitar and bass, I don't believe practicality is something that we all have to follow. It's more of a "Play how you're comfortable" thing to me. But then again I've been playing for 7 months, what do I know? Haha.

And I will definately buy that book, because scaling seems to help me out when making music greatly. I'll probably also buy something about Jazz/funk bass, if that'll help. I've done pretty well for just playing through watching, and reading, but I think it's about time I really put myself to work.
Quote by AfroRockerMike
I understand that you can scale up one string, I'm able to do that already. I was just wondering how to do it with several strings, and when we know when to go up.

In terms of guitar and bass, I don't believe practicality is something that we all have to follow. It's more of a "Play how you're comfortable" thing to me. But then again I've been playing for 7 months, what do I know? Haha.

And I will definately buy that book, because scaling seems to help me out when making music greatly. I'll probably also buy something about Jazz/funk bass, if that'll help. I've done pretty well for just playing through watching, and reading, but I think it's about time I really put myself to work.
I thought I answered this perfectly from your OP. It's not all half-steps and whole-steps. If you want to play the G minor scale, play the notes in the G minor scale (assuming there's a G minor progression playing under or nothing playing under)

It's all in the notes. Like my example G minor, as long as you play: G, A, Bb, C, D, Eb, F, you're playing G minor. It doesn't have to be in that order, it doesn't have to be on one string, it just doesn't matter.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥