so I am tempted to buy a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 122 and sell my vox ac30cc2. idk if this is a good idea. do you guys know what kind of music th Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 122 is good for? I want to play pop punk, rock, hard rock, and soft rock...blues maybe? and some other stuff.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
the JCM is very modern sounding, and it can be quite harsh and trebly

theyre completely different amps. i'd have the vox tbh, perhaps an OD pedal too?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
The AC30 is a much better amp in my opinion, but they're very different. For the genres you play I prefer an AC30 over any marshall, but you just have to try both and pick with your ears. But just for the record, the TSL isn't one of Marshall's best amps.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
well what I was thinking is that I could buy the Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 122 and keep the vox for a while. whichever I like best I would keep..the only thing is that if I liked the vox better still, then I would probably have to sell the Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 122 for less than I got it for...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by stradivari310
The AC30 is a much better amp in my opinion, but they're very different. For the genres you play I prefer an AC30 over any marshall, but you just have to try both and pick with your ears. But just for the record, the TSL isn't one of Marshall's best amps.

why do used Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 122 on average sell for no less than 1000 dollars? and used Vox AC30CC2s sell for under 1000?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Because they're Marshalls, and you're paying for a name. The nameplate doesn't make them sound any better...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

oh ok...well I can get this amp for 500 used. idk if I should just go for it. I wont be able to play it because its on ebay...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by stradivari310
Because they're Marshalls, and you're paying for a name. The nameplate doesn't make them sound any better...

this.
plus the ac30 would probably kill the TSL
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
If you want a Marshall I'd look into the used market for an old JCM 800 or something and maybe throw in an OD pedal, you'd get a far better amp than the TSL.
^That's almost as good an idea as keeping the damn AC30 and buying a nice OD pedal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
^That's almost as good an idea as keeping the damn AC30 and buying a nice OD pedal.

I said if he wants a Marshall, it'd be much more cost effective to keep the AC30 and buy a nice OD pedal I know, and that would still be a killer rig.
idk though, the vox is too soft for me I think. would an od pedal make it more alive and a little more trebly? and more gain? idk what sound Im looking for, but as the vox is now, I think its lacking a little bit..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
are the dsl's better than tsl?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
also, is the vox going to be better than the marshall for pop punk? things like mxpx, sum 41, paramore...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
It's strange you should say that because I remember that when I bought mine, quite a few people commented that the DSL was a better amp than the TSL. I'm not entirely sure why as the TSL wasn't in my price bracket so I didn't try it but I'm certainly very happy with the DSL and I've heard a number of people commenting on how good it is for Rock sounds.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by fifer
idk though, the vox is too soft for me I think. would an od pedal make it more alive and a little more trebly? and more gain? idk what sound Im looking for, but as the vox is now, I think its lacking a little bit..

HHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHA.

The Vox is to soft for me.

By itself maybe i can understand beacause it aint balls to the walls deathmetal.

Its definately geared more to blues and rock but its not soft at all.

With and OD pedal in front of it youll be saying **** marshall as soon as you hit one note.

Marshalls are just way overpriced and shortly after playing an AC30 and AC15 is when i realized this.
Quote by fifer
also, is the vox going to be better than the marshall for pop punk? things like mxpx, sum 41, paramore...

neither amp is ganna be better at genres if you ask me.

Its all about prefrence.

To me marshall products sound to rehashed and refined.

The Vox just seems to offer more sounds with one channel than a multi channel Marsahall with 30 knobs on it.

Its just stupid funny how marshalls compare to Voxes in that they suck balls.

Well the new low balled ones.

The vintage modern is a deiffrent story tough, but even the JVM talk about being overpriced.
dang well idk what Im going to do then, lol. Ive beel looking for another sound to see if its my style. I might just offer less, but I mean for 500 a 100 watt all tube amp is pretty good...I think.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
^it aint a bad deal.

If you like it, try it out, it all checks out buy it.

but make sure you try other amps too.

I think alot of people would be better of getting a mid ranged overdriven amp with an OD than a High gain amp just cause alot of the time all that distortion isnt really needed.

For example people thinkg you need all this distortion for ACDC or Maiden but all you need is a Mid gainyy amp pushing the tubes as hard as they can.
what od pedal would you sugest? something that isnt too much, Im not really into pedals..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
well it depends how much are you willing to invest.

If you want something on a budget check out the Bad monkey for 50 bucks should push it far enough so it aint "soft".

if you want to get a good quality pedal then look into the CM-2 hardwire overdrive for 100 bucks, this will definately do the job nicely and get you very nice and dirty.
well one of the guitarrist from paramore uses a marshall jcm 2000 dsl head...sum 41 uses marshal jcm something, idk. mxpx uses some mesa amp. I think that the vox ac30 is really good for a lot of what I like. but right now my genres changed a little. I want something with more gain that can do from soft to things like emery.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The AC30, sadly, isn't your kind of amp. The TSL just isn't that good of an amp to begin with. I would sell your AC30 and get a Mesa F-30.

Quote by fifer
I want to play pop punk, rock, hard rock, and soft rock...blues maybe? and some other stuff.

would you like to rephrase that.

if anything buy an OD invest in a good one like the CM-2 tube overdrive before you go off and sell you amp especially if you play what you play and you got an AC30.

to me it seems you just want some more dirt and it would be much more cost effective to just buy an OD or a DS pedal to satisfy your needs.

EDIT: if you still find the need to get a diffrent amp then due so but like i said try out and OD and DS first.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Jan 4, 2009,
ok I think I might buy that od pedal. how far could I take the amp with it though? will it be more gain than a marshall jcm 800 or 600, or 2000?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by THEKID546
would you like to rephrase that.

if anything buy an OD invest in a good one like the CM-2 tube overdrive before you go off and sell you amp especially if you play what you play and you got an AC30.

to me it seems you just want some more dirt and it would be much more cost effective to just buy an OD or a DS pedal to satisfy your needs.

EDIT: if you still find the need to get a diffrent amp then due so but like i said try out and OD and DS first.

The F-30 can do that kind of stuff. He doesn't need to rephrase anything.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
if anything the gain on a VOX AC30 is probly the same as a 800 not with the same flavor but about the same id say maybe a bit less.

It will probly reach about the same as a 2000.

^ I was trying to say like the AC30 cant.
The F-30 definately has more gain.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by THEKID546
if anything the gain on a VOX AC30 is probly the same as a 800 not with the same flavor but about the same id say maybe a bit less.

It will probly reach about the same as a 2000.

^ I was trying to say like the AC30 cant.
The F-30 definately has more gain.

Have you ever actually tried either of these amps? The AC30 gain doesn't get close to either a JCM800 or 2000. And the JCM2000 has much more gain on tap than an 800.

I actually think the JCM2000 DSL heads sound very good, Marshalls get a bit of a bad rep these days but the clean and green crunch channel sound great. One of the most versatile amps around.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 4, 2009,
ive tried an F30 but not an 800 sadly there hard to come by.

i was just judging from sound clips.

Point taken.

But i was saying it would probly get close to 2000 with a good OD and DS.
Quote by THEKID546
ive tried an F30 but not an 800 sadly there hard to come by.

i was just judging from sound clips.

Point taken.

But i was saying it would probly get close to 2000 with a good OD and DS.

An AC30 getting to JCM 2000 territory? Hardly. You'd have to hit the preamp pretty damn hard.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
ok, well what about cleans? I love my vox's clean sound. how does the tsl compare?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
If you can get the Marshall on a budget, just buy a nice A/B switcher if you want to keep the Vox for its cleans. Marshall isn't known for their cleans.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

well I just went into my room right now to play my vox (I havent played it in a LONG time, atleast not loud) and I am begining to think that I shouldnt sell it. either way if I buy this amp, I am going to keep the vox. I managed to put it at a pretty loud level (I live in the top floor of an apartment complex...) and dang it sounds really good. I guess I just hadnt tried it in a long time, I forgot what the sound was like. so Im going to bid on the marshall. the bid starts at 100, and the buy it now is 500. shipping is 50. Ill see what happens. and if I dont get the marshall then, for sure Ill buy the pedal.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by fifer
ok, well what about cleans? I love my vox's clean sound. how does the tsl compare?

I can tell you based on personal experience, as I own the AC30 cc2 and a friend of mine owns the JCM2000.
The comparison was made with my Les Paul Custom. With the Vox, I noticed that the clean sound was warmer, and certainly more mellow, lots of midrange and some bass. The treble wasn't in your face and didn't tear up your eardrums. A very melodic sound indeed!
I'm sad to say that, at about the same volume, the JCM2000 was nothing short of aweful! The treble was as if it was coming from a bad telecaster copy and there was absolutely no low end frequency. The sound was completely sterile, and if you do buy the 2000, you will curse yourself for letting the Vox go, when it has such an excellent clean sound.
(both comparisons were made with the bridge pickup)

Why on earth would you sell your Vox? Just put a good (or not so good) OD pedal in front and you will have quite a few choices as far as sounds go. Of course, this is coming from a VOX fanboy, so don't take me too seriously. One serious note is that my friend offered to trade the TSL for the AC30. I refused of course...
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
yeah I am not going to sell it after all...not unless someone pays me like 900 (I got it for like 1000 exaclty new, and so if I sold it for 900, I would save up for the cc2x...
Quote by RetroGunslinger