Can I learn to write down what I hear?? Or is it a natural ability? Like, sometimes I'll think of a riff in my head, then it'll take me ages to figure out on guitar, or I'll never be able to figure it out...I can't work out songs, or the keys of songs...or anything like that.

Is it a natural ability I don't have (like good eyesight, ), or can I learn how?
Last edited by NinjaLamppost at Jan 4, 2009,
You get it with time.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Practice, practice, practice.

Train your ears. Play guitar. Know your notes. Practice some more.

I can't do it for shi# but when I'm at school and a cool riff pops in my head, I sure as hell attempt to write it down so when I get home to my guitar I can try and play it.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Every sound that you can hear, you will be able to transcribe. (Just like everything you see you can describe)

You just need to connect the little dots in ur head (link between ur mind and the music).

It's like learning to speak/understand a new language. Start out with simple stuff and graduate to harder stuff.

Sometimes it's hard to pick out stuff because of effects or other instruments(just like people with accents are hard to understand sometimes even if they talk the same language as you)

I recommend all traditional songs first like; happy bday, jingle bells, greensleeves etc.

If ur into videogame music like zelda or something, try those tunes out. Just practice, and it will come faster then you think trust me. Within a year you'll be able to transcribe at least 50% of western music.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 4, 2009,
yea dude i did what darren told yu to do. It works, it might be alittle annoying at first but you will get it. Just once a day figure out a simple tune, it will really help.
Ear training. I highly recommend training yourself to recognize intervals, because from there you gain the ability to work out melodies significantly easier.
Quote by NinjaLamppost
I figured out happy birthday on bass

And thanks for the replies, I was really worried it was a natural thing I didn't have.

Nah man.

IT looks natural, because some people are deeply into music at a young age.

I was figuring out zelda and other snes rpg's tunes on my grandad's piano when I was about 10, so I was aware of "notes" at that age already. I'd put on my snes tunes rather then pop songs, and always had a natural pull towards instrumental music.

when I was 12 I made a knex drumkit and drummed to C&C tunes. I always wanted to be a drummer, but I have no garage or something so my neighbours would probably kill me.

I also got an acoustic guitar when I was 9 which I smashed. Sadly I didn't pick 1 up again till the age of 16

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 5, 2009,
So much to do, so little time. I'm trying, but this is my last free day until next weekend (and then just saturday), and I'm being forced to do academic stuff -.-

I will do my best to learn it...it can be another new years resolution...
Quote by NinjaLamppost
So much to do, so little time. I'm trying, but this is my last free day until next weekend (and then just saturday), and I'm being forced to do academic stuff -.-

I will do my best to learn it...it can be another new years resolution...

Not so little time at all - you've got the rest of your life to learn stuff.

You don't learn to play the guitar in a set time frame, and more to the point you NEVER stop learning.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com