Yeah, Ive seen threads like this before but I need suggestions.

I have been playing guitar 4 years as of this week and I dont feel like I am improving enough. In fact, I dont feel like I am improving at all . I took lessons for a while and I know my scales and chords.

I can somewhat improvise but not that well. The songs I play/write are all easy and consist of power chords. I just feel like I should be better than this after four years.

Suggestions?
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
Something tells me the Pit's not the place for this. Look at other's music and learn their playing styles. More difficult, technical stuff than punk or Linkin Park. <_>
quit.

seriously though.

keep playing.

play different genres, and styles. Learn new Techniques.

Also it's important to SLOW DOWN. everyone always trys to play fast, they get frustrated, then they give up.

Lastly, Relax while you play.

these are a few things that helped me
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
You're in a rut
You've gotta get out of it, out of it, out of it!
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by Kwonnie
Something tells me the Pit's not the place for this. Look at other's music and learn their playing styles. More difficult, technical stuff than punk or Linkin Park. <_>

I hate punk... and Linkin Park.

Im not saying that all I play is power chords, I just say when Improvising and writing thats what my main stuff comes down to alot of the time. I can still solo using pentatonics and arpeggios, but... I feel like I just dont have the fingers to play hard songs and the patience to learn new ones.

I find myself just playing the same simple songs over and over and getting bored.
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
just try to listen to new things maybe? ruts happen to everybody...maybe just try something new to get the creative juices flowing
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Quote by GibsonRocker14

seriously though.

keep playing.

play different genres, and styles. Learn new Techniques.

Also it's important to SLOW DOWN. everyone always trys to play fast, they get frustrated, then they give up.

Lastly, Relax while you play.

these are a few things that helped me

Possible the best advice your gonna get in this thread.
We all get in a rut sometimes. You just have to keep playing and eventually you'll break out of the clouds.
Quote by silent caution
just try to listen to new things maybe? ruts happen to everybody...maybe just try something new to get the creative juices flowing

...creative juices...
YOU'VE GIVEN UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP
wait wat?
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
You can play through it and force yourself to try harder songs or you can put the guitar down for a while and get a new hobby. You can always go back to guitar if you feel like playing again. There's no harm in it, guitar isn't the world.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by B4Dkarma

Im not saying that all I play is power chords, I just say when Improvising and writing thats what my main stuff comes down to alot of the time. I can still solo using pentatonics and arpeggios, but... I feel like I just dont have the fingers to play hard songs and the patience to learn new ones.

I find myself just playing the same simple songs over and over and getting bored.

Hmm...maybe go to an instructor for a one time sit down to discuss your technique- even Dave Mustaine did it, he said it helped him a lot.

Also, maybe think about changing guitars- maybe the instructor would have advise on that- something like ergonomics, you know?

Good luck, though.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
I had the same kinda thing as you, try learning "blackbird" by the beatles, and "under the bridge" by chilli peppers, just a few good songs to learn. Maybe focus on writing songs without using power chords, experiment with open/barre chords, adding new notes etc to them. what I did anyway.
What most guitar players dont know and what most guitar teachers wont tell you is that, when you feel like you are no longer progressing its one of two things

1. Your files were not archived properly.
2. You have progressed to the very limits of guitar technique and there is simply nothing left to learn.
Quote by B4Dkarma

hey f*ck you butthole, hybrid theory was actually and genuinely brilliant!

also punk's awesome too, bitch

also, just power chords has made some of the best songs ever. punk for example... oh wait, i see the problem here.

Quote by BlackandSilver
YOU'VE GIVEN UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP
wait wat?

oh, f*ck... i... don't know... how to react to that...
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by ChrisBG
Memorize the fretboard if you haven't already. It'll set you free.

I never understand what that means?

and TS just mess about playing major and minor chords until it sounds good.. its what I do

also for improvising.. its just letting your mind go, and generally not concentrating.. I find that is the best way.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

If you mostly play one genre, try others. Whip out the ol' acoustic once in a while
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
ia gree with one of the guys up there, go back for lessons for a few more times, see if it helps, i thought i could teach myself, i tried for like three years or something,but it got to a point where i wasnt improving, so i gave in and took lessons, and my playing has improved probably 3x what it was before, and that was four months ago.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Well first, make sure you are relaxed, but still very alert and concentrated when you practice. If your mind is not at ease or if your mind is wandering off somewhere, you won't retain anything. It'd be like if you sat in math class and went to sleep. The voices still go in your ear, but you don't remember any of it, and therefore learn nothing.

Second, practice anything fast or difficult slowly. Try it at 1/4 tempo first, then build from there in intervals of between 3 - 10 bpm each time. Make sure you do it perfectly when you're practicing slowly, and try to do so at least 3 or four times in a row at each tempo so you know it isn't luck that you're getting it. Make sure to watch your hands as you practice, and try to not just hear yourself play, but listen to it. Also, make sure, and this is very important, that you USE A METRONOME.

Third, try many different genres instead of just the one you like the best. Most techniques in music can be distributed amongst all styles, such as sweep picking in metal, jazz and country, and it is useful to know how to apply such techniques in many fields if you want to be a decent musician.

As for the writing part, once you have played enough of other peoples music, and once you have mastered skills that need to be used in the type of song you want to write, you should be able to sit down and channel your emotion into the guitar. Just lay down some chords or riffs as a rhythm base, maybe a drum beat or a bass line, then fiddle around with it. If you want to write lyrics, it's usually much easier to put lyrics to a song than put a song to lyrics. Then if you want a solo in there or something, just make sure you know what key you are in, check out some scales or whatever, and just mess around. Record it, see what sounded good and what didn't, and fill in the blanks. Make sure you know at least some music theory before you try to write.

Cheers