I am currently picking on a cheap acoustic guitar. I am a total newb.

I want to play rock, 80's metal and blues.

I was looking at a used Epiphone Les Paul Studio for just under $200 bucks. It seems to fit well and I like the way it feels. I was wondering what is the general concensus is on these guitars? The guitar shop said they would sell me a new one for $330.

Is this a good guitar that will allow me to learn the basics and also be able to play the music that I like, or would my money be better spent on something else?
I own one, and I enjoy it. But I've been playing for 6 years and now i want a gibson les paul. But its totally worth the purchase
Hi! It's a really nice guitar man! I've been playing for over 3 years now and for the begining it's even too good if You know what I mean... If You have that cash, don't think, just buy it!
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
Guitar center sells the Epiphone Les Paul Studio for 260 to 347. In my opinion, 350 is high because you can talk GC down. Lastly, in my opinion, the lower end Epiphones have always crapped out on me, but for a beginners guitar, its probably good enough.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=epiphone+les+paul+studio
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Thanks, I was also wondering if there are any upgrades that I should consider, like better strings, pickups etc.

Thanks.
Quote by yellojeeper
Thanks, I was also wondering if there are any upgrades that I should consider, like better strings, pickups etc.

Thanks.

well with gibsons short scale i would recommend .10s or bigger.
and with the pickups i think you should play the stocks for a while to see if you like them or thry to find the sound your looking for. but sooner or later you will need new pick ups.
I had an Epi LP Studio. You see how everybody says they are awsome? well, mine sucked so much i sold it after a month. I bought it because i always wanted an LP. Well, i dont want one anymore. But i gues its my fault because i tried one in a store and then ordered it online, so i got a different one that i was trying out. I gues if you try it first, then go for it.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
just under $200? sounds like a good deal to me..especially if you are really new to the game. i have an epiphone les paul standard and love it. the studios aren't the greatest guitar, but it'd be a really good guitar to learn on. and at that price...i'd take it. you can always upgrade to a better guitar when you get more experienced.

for the strings, you just have to find what you like. it's kind of a guessing game. i like ernie balls. but it's all personal taste.

as for the pickups...i wouldn't worry about them at the moment.
"If it were not assize-time, I would not take such language from you." - 86 Eng. Rep. 684 (K.B. 1669)
Quote by Paith
Guitar center sells the Epiphone Les Paul Studio for 260 to 347. In my opinion, 350 is high because you can talk GC down. Lastly, in my opinion, the lower end Epiphones have always crapped out on me, but for a beginners guitar, its probably good enough.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=epiphone+les+paul+studio

You can't talk guitarcenter down anymore, they are real tough.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
your GC must be awful, I even talked our local GC down on a boss pedal I was giving as a christmas gift.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203