so i recently started playing again, but just messing around, nothing serious. now i want to get very good and am ready to really practice. I only have limited time to play each day, so here is what i was going to do:

5 minutes - chord changes
15 minutes - scales
30 minutes - work on a song i want to learn
5 minutes - play anything/mess around, play riffs/songs i already know

i know its not much time, but let me know your thoughts. the more i learn the more i can move away to different things like tapping etc but for right now based on my level this is what i plan on unless you guys have bnetter ideas. thanks
Last edited by cantcme2 at Jan 4, 2009,
how about with the 5 minutes at the end you have there practise:
bends
slides
hammer ons
pull offs
?

i dunno just a suggestion
i would spend more time on chords. you have to get them down to learn good songs. you probably dont need 30 minutes to play scales
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
Quote by uncboy19
i would spend more time on chords. you have to get them down to learn good songs. you probably dont need 30 minutes to play scales

i put a small amount for chords because thats my strong point, the others are where i really need work. thanks for the advice
Quote by uncboy19

i would go the other way, if you want to get fast, you will need to spend more time on scales.
Take five from the song you wanna learn and add it to chord changes. When you get good at the chord changes ( shouldnt take long as you will also be practicing that with the song) learn some techniques like ROFLcamel said
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by larrythelefty
you make the guitar sound boring

agreed.
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
Quote by larrythelefty
you make the guitar sound boring

nah, i just need to focus when i practice
change the times around. 30 minutes on scales, 15 minutes on a song
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
I would put the noodling around on already known riffs as the warm up because I think it's one of the most effective ways to warm up. Then spend 20 minutes on chord changes, 30 minutes on scales, and then learn the song until you don't feel like playing anymore.
I'd say set two different schedules aside, and alternate between them. Somthing like (assuming the 55 minutes you already have set aside):

Day 1
10 mins- Warm up exercises (you don't just walk into the gym and power lift 350 lbs., you work your way into it so you don't get hurt. Yes, it's really that important)
10 mins- Chord changes
30 mins- Songs/riffs you already know
5 mins- Cool down exercises (same stuff as your warmup)

Day 2
10 mins- Warm up
10 mins- Scales/improv
30 mins- New songs/techniques
5 mins- Cool down

and just alternate between the two. It'll be more effective because you're covering all your areas without cramming, and you're practicing what you already know so you aren't losing anything along the way. That's how I generally do it, but with more time alotted.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play