Ran a flat edge across the top of my guitar, and its not flat. A yamaha fg700s. Its my first acoustic. Should I be worried?
its like that on mine too

so im curious of the answer
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
All flat tops are supposed to be slightly arched. The problem is when the arch goes away. Taylor has a video that explains it on their website under guitar maintenence.

I've seen that video before...that poor 714....

Yeah, as long as it's rounded and not concave you're good.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
It's concave in 2 places on the top, on either side of the bridge. Would buying a humidifier now even help? I mean, it doesn't really sound bad in my opinion, but then again my ear isn't trained very well just yet. Also, I received this guitar about 2 weeks ago, after I bought from ebay. Think it could have happened in that time?
Is it noticeable to the naked eye or did you just decide to check if it was flat?
If you just look at it in the right light, and the right angle than you can see it.
It is supposed to be that way -- guitar makers will radius both the soundboard and the back slightly. It's because an arched surface is stronger than a flat one. You might also notice that the top of your guitar angles slightly from the soundhole to the neck joint. Most acoustic guitars have about a 1 degree neck angle to compensate for the height of the bridge and that angle will continue on the soundboard so that the fretboard extension will set flush on the top.

Both are barely noticable, you've got a good eye!
take it to a guitar shop and ask about it...unfortunately, with us not being able to look at it and inspect it over the internet we can't give you a 100% sure answer. I personally do not think it is really that much of a problem, but the fact that you noticed it means that something is different. Even if you dont have any work done on it, go get it checked out.
Quote by MCone
It's concave in 2 places on the top, on either side of the bridge. Would buying a humidifier now even help? I mean, it doesn't really sound bad in my opinion, but then again my ear isn't trained very well just yet. Also, I received this guitar about 2 weeks ago, after I bought from ebay. Think it could have happened in that time?

Getting a humidifier will help. You should really already have one if it has a solid top. Keeping solid wood properly humidified (40-50% humidity) is very important.

EDIT: Although, now that I think about it, my acoustic is like that too. Probably not a big deal, but still keep it properly humidified.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by MCone

Sorry dude, I didn't catch that post from you. It may not be anything to worry about, it's also normal for the top of a guitar to develop a little bit of a belly over time due to the tension of the strings. If you're worried, take it to a shop and have them take a look.
I also have a slight dip in my Martin as well. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was like that when I got it from the store. It's nothing to worry about as long as you're keeping your guitar at the proper humidity levels.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Right on. So it's off to the guitar store tomorrow. Went today, but they were closed
I found this page on the Larrivee website to be extremely helpful in diagnosing humidity problems... Humidity Essay

According to Larrivee, be careful if the bridge wings start to dip:

(With prolonged exposure to low humidity)

"Fret Ends will feel sharp, Soundboard and back will become flat or collapsed (concave), action will feel lower, guitar will likely buzz, Bridge wings will appear concave, after several months the bridge may “lift” or shear off."
Quote by sunshowers
I found this page on the Larrivee website to be extremely helpful in diagnosing humidity problems... Humidity Essay

According to Larrivee, be careful if the bridge wings start to dip:

(With prolonged exposure to low humidity)

"Fret Ends will feel sharp, Soundboard and back will become flat or collapsed (concave), action will feel lower, guitar will likely buzz, Bridge wings will appear concave, after several months the bridge may “lift” or shear off."

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

RIP ibanez AW35

i hated you your whole life