I learned a new solo last night Dont Cry by GNR took me like 3 hours... I've only been playing sicne June, I didn't take it seriously for like 3 months and my new years resolution is to get good at guitar. Just wondering how long would it take you to learn a solo like Dont Cry by GNR I could get every note right but the way its played is what gave me trouble.
Quote by 1ZlowZ
I learned a new solo last night Dont Cry by GNR took me like 3 hours... I've only been playing sicne June, I didn't take it seriously for like 3 months and my new years resolution is to get good at guitar. Just wondering how long would it take you to learn a solo like Dont Cry by GNR I could get every note right but the way its played is what gave me trouble.

1. Stop showing off (that is what it sounds like to me)

2. I do not know I have never tried to learn that solo because I thought that song sucked.

3, Congrats.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by 1ZlowZ

considering dont cry is a pretty slow song, not all that long.

lol Nevermind1299 not many people still do. im not one of em, just know the song.
Sing me a new song
A broken song of redemption and regret
Sing me a new song
And beg for all the mercy you can get

--------------------Monty Python and the Holy Grail----------------

Last edited by X Nocturnal X at Jan 4, 2009,
took about 40 minutes for me to get it right....

and i see x nocturnal x likes demon hunter
awesome
You WILL obey!!
Last edited by Punkishface at Jan 4, 2009,
Probably about half an hour, maybe forty-five.
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
It all really depends on how good you are at memorizing. me persoally i try to add my own "spice" so to say to solos by putting in the type of stuff i like in it. Congratz on your achievement. But do you know how to play the rest of the song too??? cause a solo is useless if you cant play the rest in my opinion. And if you really want to get good you should also learn to do your own stuff, not just solos and little licks here and there. Im working on that myself cause when i started i only learned by playing stuff by other bands.

Edit: and at this point in my playing probably an hour or so to answer your question. And maybe a little review the next day cause i forget pretty easily
Last edited by overlordandm at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by Punkishface
took about 40 minutes for me to get it right....

and i see x nocturnal x likes demon hunter
awesome

yeah, now try learning one of their songs in half an hour. goodluck finding a tab :P
Sing me a new song
A broken song of redemption and regret
Sing me a new song
And beg for all the mercy you can get

--------------------Monty Python and the Holy Grail----------------

Quote by Nevermind1299
People still listen to GNR?

A) gnr in the day were gods. hand down. axl's jam band is still good, just should not be called gnr.
B) I'd say 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the difficulty of the solo, speed, etc... Don't Cry took me 45 minutes after a fwe months of playing. Also depends how much you practice, and how much you copy the solo. If you're good at improv then that might be easier.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Why this stupid threads? Who says you can play it with right dynamics and flow?

Recording or /thread

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Its not a hard solo to learn at all..but in my opinion its a hard solo to play right. Slash's playing has lots of specific dynamics and nuances that are hard to emulate without years and year of playing....like his vibrato for example. Anybody can play a note...but it takes a good musician to play a note right.
This sounds so stupid to me. Everyone learns differently so you'll get like 2 hours 3 days bla bla bla. Honestly who cares how long it takes to learn something as long as you learn it?

but to answer your question I listen to a song 1-3 times depending on how long of a song it is and how complex it is. after that I know how to play it. but I find learning others songs lame. for beginners its awesome, but Originals are always great.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
People still listen to GNR?

You expect me to listen to that Enclave crap? How would I Fight The Good Fight?
Call me Batman.