I want to try to make some songs(mainly rhythm), how much theory do I need?
I thought about making mostly rhythm riffs, power chords and such.. But also notes..

I listen mostly to bands such as Pantera, Metallica, Maiden, Slayer, Megadeth, some Melo-death, black metal etc.. but mainly thrash/heavy metal..

What theory do you need as the rhythm guitarist?
like e.x. james hetfield (metallica), eric peterson (testament), or dimebag (i know he's lead too but here i consentrate on his rhythm songwriting)...

I know some scales, but it's a bit late, i want to do other stuff..

I'm thinking more about the structure of the song...making verse/chorus/bridge/intro etc, not the solo/interlude..

for solo/interlude I'll mess around in scales..

help please! :P
double topic
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
i chuck theory out the door i dont know how other people do it but i listen to bands i like, then it influences the sounds i want to make ( i wrote a song after listening to what a horrible night to have a curse by the black dahlia murder) it ended being in 4/4 time and 3/4 without really following a particular key, i just used accidentals. so i think maybe just pick a key, a rythem (like 4/4 might be the easiest) then just see what fits the best way you like. i dont know if that answers you or is a random spew, but whatever.
Sing me a new song
A broken song of redemption and regret
Sing me a new song
And beg for all the mercy you can get

--------------------Monty Python and the Holy Grail----------------

its pretty simple once you get the hang of it....to keep it simple: songs work with climaxes, just like sex does, the chorus should be the climax, or the solo if you will, but lets keep it as the chorus. Now the traditional way songs are composed is verse-chorus-verse-chorus-one you reach this add a variation of the verse "call it a fill, interlude, or a solo space", and then you finish up with another chorus. now as i said, this is basic stuff, you DO NOT have to follow this pattern, but id recommend you this to start of with

Keep in mind when composing that you work has to be related with climaxes, its like a horror movie, suspense up, suspense down, you cant have a whole song with low suspense cause its borrin, and you cant have on with high suspense all the time cause ull go crazy. Hope this worked, im tired and i have no clue whatsoever if this is understandable
I have played a lot of covers etc.
I know the names of the notes ont he guitar.
I know some scales.

But, when I try to write a riff not much happens -.-. Or not even riffs, just songs in general...

What exactly do I need to know? I don't know waht 4/4, 8/8 is..
I dunno about chord progressions or rhythm patterns...

What do a rhythm guitarist need to know? Like James Hetfield for example?
How does he make all those songs? xD

Or whoever....Any songwriter who plays guitar in a metal band.

Just write down link to good lesson/tutorial, or explain some here please!

when i try to make up riffs, i sit and play random power chords/notes.. and it sux ass.. I need guide lines to follow, somekind of theory behind it, to back me up.
Quote by unnamed123
I have played a lot of covers etc.
I know the names of the notes ont he guitar.
I know some scales.

But, when I try to write a riff not much happens -.-. Or not even riffs, just songs in general...

What exactly do I need to know? I don't know waht 4/4, 8/8 is..
I dunno about chord progressions or rhythm patterns...

What do a rhythm guitarist need to know? Like James Hetfield for example?
How does he make all those songs? xD

Or whoever....Any songwriter who plays guitar in a metal band.

Just write down link to good lesson/tutorial, or explain some here please!

when i try to make up riffs, i sit and play random power chords/notes.. and it sux ass.. I need guide lines to follow, somekind of theory behind it, to back me up.

"What exactly do I need to know? I don't know waht 4/4, 8/8 is..
I dunno about chord progressions or rhythm patterns..."
There's you a start, learn some theory
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Learn theory (the "crusade" articles in the coloumn section of this site are great), analyse some songs
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
If you can't imagine any music in your head, what are you doing trying to compose music in the first place?

You don't need any theory to write music. Think something up, then figure out how to play it. Theory comes in when you want to expand upon it.
Practice. Play. Sleep. Repeat.

Quote by pearlJam_31490
i take it next your going to tell me that Cb is a note too!