Im looking to buy a new guitar, but I dont know what I should get. My price range is 400-500 dollars, I realize this isnt going to get me the best guitar in the world. I want to get something thats good for playing fast (not neccisarly metal) but also has a some what dynamic sound. I was looking at the Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (if you want to look at it) but Ive been told basswood is a real crappy tone wood. Any advice or suggestions on brand or model would be great. Thanks.
Basswood isn't a crappy tone. Vai uses basswood.

I'd go with something Ibanez.
Looks like an alright guitar but you need to watch out for those EDGE III trems. They wear down quite quickly.

Find something with a Lo-Pro or an Edge Pro.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well I dont really care so much about the tremolo, I barely use the one on my guitar as is.
There is nothing wrong with basswood.

1st you should decide if you want a trem or a fixed bridge. Then, look for a guitar that has the tonal qualities you are looking for as well as the right pickup setup. Some people really are picky about the feel of the neck, so it would be good to try to get one in your hands.

Check out this link, it will give you a better idea on how woods sound:
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
Well I got a Ibanez ICX220DX.. it has a Basswood body, and it's great in my opinion, but obviously that's just my opinion, and I haven't played very many guitars at all, but I guess when I get my new guitar I'll be able to give a better comparison :P

In short, tone is a very subjective thing. If you can, play the guitar you want through an amp at your local guitar store if they have it, and decide for yourself whether you like it not.

Might not be the most time efficient way, but definitely helps you get a better guitar out of it if it's one you're comfortable with and enjoy the tone of
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
Quote by Ljk825
There is nothing wrong with basswood.

1st you should decide if you want a trem or a fixed bridge. Then, look for a guitar that has the tonal qualities you are looking for as well as the right pickup setup. Some people really are picky about the feel of the neck, so it would be good to try to get one in your hands.

Check out this link, it will give you a better idea on how woods sound:
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

Thanks for the advice! just a question though, what difference would it make if I bought a guitar with a trem neck, well besides being able to use it. Would it affect the sound or anything of the guitar itself?