so im semi-new to the guitar world but i've improved pretty rapidly since i started in september and am looking to move up.

im looking for input on the g340sc, i went to guitar center today because its the only place open on sundays but they didnt have one in. i like the seagull s6 a lot but the takamine is a little more practical price wise. i play mostly acoustic rock--hard riffs, some finger picking, etc, so i want somethin with...i dunno, good volume? if you catch my drift...sorry im not super keen with the terminology haha.

basically i like the takamine because i've done some homework on it and it seems to be a good choice, and its one of the only cutaways in my price range thats not electric acoustic.

is it easy to play, low action, little to NO buzzing, etc??? how does it compare to other guitars under about 400 bucks? thanks guys

p.s. i've read the acoustics under $300 thread so please, just input on this specific guitar and comparisons to others.
it all depends on the setup, really, but that was my dream acoustic, i tried out several more expensive G series, they all had great tone, and good electrics. Playability varied though, remember, higher action gives better tone! heheh...

If i were you i'd fine a place online where you can get it with like a 30 day trial thing..

like on musicians friend scratch and dent items have a 45 day satisfaction warranty, where if you don't like it you can send it back!
That's my guitar! One of the reasons I love Takamine is how easy they are to play. I don't know what it is about those necks, they just agree with me. I played a few of the higher model G-series Taks at the store and fell in love, but they were out of my price range. They didn't have any G340SCs in stock so I ordered one sight-unseen with the faith that it would play similarly. I was pleased to find that it did. It is also quite loud.

Buzzing??? Please, that's an Ibanez question. You won't have that problem with this Tak. I say go for it! Of course it's better to play before you buy. See if Guitar Center will let you order one in for a small deposit. My guitar store let me put down one penny for mine.
sweet guys thanks, and anymore input would be appreciated. im gonna hit 3 more local guitar shops tomorrow, hopefully one of them will carry the tak im looking for.

and yea the buzzing kills me, i have a harmony sovereign that actually has great tone but buzzes like it's its job when playing bar chords or strumming hard, and the fender i play now (dont know what model, pawn shop ) doesnt buzz that bad but has a really mellow and sort of weak tone...same deal with my sisters yamaha, no buzzing, but sounds weak. so i really want somethin that will be decent in both departments haha. i play at a lot of college parties so loud and clean is what im going for haha
i went to like 3 different music stores in sac.

none had one...

should have thought of asking them to order it though..

heheh.. i just (edit turned 17 and new nothing about guitars.!

edit: you must have seen tenacious D huh?
Last edited by redking14ca at Jan 7, 2009,
still cant get my hands on a takamine. i really liked the yamaha fgx720 i played though...any experience with those? i'd kind of like to have an acoustic-electric as long as it sounds just as good unplugged, which to me i thought the yamaha did, solid top etc...
I think that's one of the ones everyone on her recommends.. If you really like how it sounds and played go for it.. but have you played it plugged in?

also, I don't think those have a cutaway....
Quote by MiNiDoggy
^I believe it's just their Yairi series.

... isn't Yairi a alvarez thing?
takamines are nice, i had my heart set on one untill i went and played the s6 entourage... for the money i felt the seagull was the best bang for the buck... i got mine or $280 on sale ... solid cedar top, cant go wrong
iM Get'n that fa sho!

play acoustic, jam hard

AiM - TheCarsonCity
i played an s6, dont know if it was the original or the entourage but i liked it a lot. i've just been leaning towards the takamine because i need/prefer the cutaway. and there are not many nice acoustic cutaway's in the price range that i've seen. plenty of acoustic-electric, but i dont think i want to go that route.

my under-educated opinion is that i'd be better off with the g340sc + an electric pickup which = appox $370 instead of similarly priced acoustic electrics in the 400 range....but i dont know i guess, just kind of what i've gathered from here
I understand that the guitar is good for finger picking, etc but what about chords? Does it give the crisp clear sound? I want to play wonderwall on it!
^--- You could've just made a new thread for your question

Anyway, yeah the G340SC is a good guitar for chords and playing things like Wonderwall... though I presonally prefer the tone of the GS330S a great deal more than the G340SC. They are both very good beginner level guitars, but I have owned each, and I definitely prefer the tone of the GS330S. It's a warmer and more balanced sound imo. The G340SC is a bit brighter sounding guitar and is a little tinny sounding compared to the GS330S imo.

Also, welcome to UG!
no, but i have played the full sized dread version, the yamaha fgx730s, and it's great for the price - good sound unplugged, good plugged in, nice finish, etc. i've never seen a 720, either acoustic or acoustic electric in a gc, but yamaha is pretty consistent, and most stores have a return policy that allows you to return undamaged guitars if you don't like 'em.

Quote by Dr89
still cant get my hands on a takamine. i really liked the yamaha fgx720 i played though...any experience with those? i'd kind of like to have an acoustic-electric as long as it sounds just as good unplugged, which to me i thought the yamaha did, solid top etc...
^-- that post was from January. crimsondarkn bumped the thread with a new question...

Quote by crimsondarkn
I understand that the guitar is good for finger picking, etc but what about chords? Does it give the crisp clear sound? I want to play wonderwall on it!
Quote by jimtaka
^--- You could've just made a new thread for your question

Anyway, yeah the G340SC is a good guitar for chords and playing things like Wonderwall... though I presonally prefer the tone of the GS330S a great deal more than the G340SC. They are both very good beginner level guitars, but I have owned each, and I definitely prefer the tone of the GS330S. It's a warmer and more balanced sound imo. The G340SC is a bit brighter sounding guitar and is a little tinny sounding compared to the GS330S imo.

Also, welcome to UG!

Is the GS330S a cedar top satin finish guitar? If so, I think my friend might be getting one.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
^-- Yeah, solid cedar top and laminate nato back and sides. Really a beautiful sounding beginner level guitar.
(though he may be biased )

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Last edited by roamingbard13 at Jul 29, 2009,
Have you ever played one, Jon? I'm sure you have. What's your opinion?

I still play mine pretty often. I actually have it out and in a stand next to me right now. It has spent a lot of time being part of a collection with guitars that cost $2000-$3000+ and it still always got played fairly often. I get compliments on the way it sounds every time I take it anywhere.

I really do love that guitar
I have, and it's definitely a great guitar for the price. While it wouldn't be my first choice in that range, I can easily see why it might be for others.

Gear:
^-- What is your favorite $300 acoustic? I'm not sure what mine would be really. There's a few that I like all about the same.

The reason that I'm partial to the GS330S is probably largely because the one I play is 7 or 8 years old and has been thoroughly broken in. It has really opened up nicely. Plus it's been through hell and is still completely structurally perfect.
Yeah, I can see that. Unfortunately, in my poorly informed high school years, I bought POS fender acoustic as my first guitar. I still have it for nostalgic reasons, but I never play it. Ever. Probably haven't in about 2 years (which was the last time I loaned it to someone who wants to learn).

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably go with the Yamaha FG730S. It sounds great, and the fit and finish (especially the necks of Yamaha guitars) are as good as it gets for $300. I'm also slightly partial to spruce over cedar in that price range, which is kind of weird because my $3000 guitar dream is cedar and rosewood. Oh well.

Gear:
I played the GS330S in the store for quite a while. As an entry level guitar, it stood out quite a bit for me compared to the rest. Even the Yammy's. The neck profile was easy and not too chunky.

To be 100% honest though, if I started over from the beginning I wouldn't be choosing either the Tak GS330S or the Yammy FG/FS7XX series guitars. I would get a Norman, without a question. Not an Art & Lutherie, nor a Simon & Patrick, or even a Seagull. I would get specifically a Norman. The sound is just stunning for an entry level guitar. Every single one I've played has left me thinking, "wow, I wish I had this when I started." It's that good.
Equipment:

^-- I don't believe I've ever played a Norman, though I have seen them mentioned around here a few times.
Made in the same factory as Seagull, S&P, Art & Lutherie, AND La Patrie. Sounds a lot better than my A&L though, for some reason. Norman's are actually less prominent in the market than S&Ps for some reason. I know lots of people who've heard of A&L, S&P, and Seagull. Norman seems to be overlooked quite often though.
Equipment: