I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I don't know that many people have explained the problem quite like I have so I'm going to give it a shot.

For me, finding inspiration or a strong feeling to write about is easy. The hard part is translating that feeling to the fret board. It feels like there is a gap between my heart and my guitar when I am playing, and I need to get over it before I get musical blue balls . I have a problem where something that angers me inspires me to play guitar, so I play something fast and thrashy that sounds angry, but I end up getting no where, all it becomes is release for me, not anything productive.

And to add on, I don't like the concept of "fast song+distortion=angry song" or "slow song+clean tone= love song"(you get the idea) or any of that crap. Just because that stuff works for other people DOES NOT mean its going to work for me. To me any emotion is too complex to simply be defined and then replicated.

So how do I go about translating my feelings to riffs and songs? Not sure if this is an easy question to answer, if anyone needs help understanding I'd be willing to clarify.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Quote by tremeloud

And to add on, I don't like the concept of "fast song+distortion=angry song" or "slow song+clean tone= love song"(you get the idea) or any of that crap.

Bro, that is so out of left field. Haha.

Music is music, my friend. As far as translating goes:

Don't force yourself to conform to cliche musical writing.

Basically, try studying the structure of other music (experimental may work the best). This is more of a learning process, then straight up cheating unless you intend otherwise...

I think you might be interested in the musical aspects of The Pixies. They manage to blend smooth imagery in a sometimes intangible, but meaningful, wall of sound.
No data.
Quote by jstarbob
Bro, that is so out of left field. Haha.

There was another thread in this forum where someone indirectly suggested that a person write a fast song because he was inspired by anger. I wanted to discourage anyone from saying things like that and suggesting that I conform to cliche music writing.

And from what I have heard of The Pixies, I really enjoy their music. If I could write a song like Where is My Mind, I would be bouncing off walls. But how would I go about studying the way the write in order to understand how they go from feeling one thing, and writing about it?

I'm most interested in what I am supposed to do while playing. Do I focus on the feeling, and hit random notes until something clicks? Or do I focus on the feeling and think of something to describe it in my head, and then try to recreate it while playing?
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Haha. Yeah, I love what Black and Deal did back in those days. So sad that you don't hear music like that anymore.

To be honest, and this may sound lame, but it's really whatever works for you. Though, I'd highly suggest not hitting random notes... chances are that will get you nowhere. I think recreation can be healthy.

If you can feel what your trying to convey, then approach your instrument like you would with a pencil to paper.

Basically, by studying other music structures it can give you an idea of how you want to structure your song. I'm not sure how I can expand upon that. Haha.
No data.