Okay guys, here's another challenge for you. I'm getting really really sick of my single coil bridge pup. I'm going to route the pickguard and, yup, you guessed it, throw in a humbucker!

So my question to you is, what would be the best pickup (prepare for ultra specifics) for my style? I play mostly classic rock, as most of you know. Think Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Cream, Brownsville Station, The Doobie Brothers, The Doors, Blackfoot, Grand Funk Railroad.... You get the idea . I also play some metal, but no gain higher than Metallica. Also, a lot of blues, and blues rock (Albert King, BB King, SRV, Clapton....)

So what's a good all-around pickup? I'm shooting for decent cleans and nice overdriven sounds.

I was thinking the GFS VEH pickups, or the vintage wound Alnico 2's......

Any help guys? I'm confused

Thanks
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Have a look into Swineshead Pickups, their Venom sounds like your kinda pup, it might be a bit high output though, they've got some great samples on the website, just google it.
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

I'll look into it, thanks man! I'm not really trying to spend too much though...

But hell, if it's a nice enough pickup, then it'll be worth it!
--

--
The only thing I'm worried about with the higher output passives is that they may overpower my neck and middle pickups...

Will this honestly be a major problem? Or will it just require a little volume knob tinkering?
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
The only thing I'm worried about with the higher output passives is that they may overpower my neck and middle pickups...

Will this honestly be a major problem? Or will it just require a little volume knob tinkering?

i think that may only happen if you combine active and passive.
probably not anything to worry about
Ah, okay. Another thing... I've heard it rumored in the Ultimate Pickup thread that the /59 could be a little too bright/harsh (forget what was actually said)..

Is this true? Strats are pretty bright sounding instruments as it is.... As it stands right now, I'm leaning towards either the '59 or the Alnico II.

Hmmmm... Is the Dirty Fingers pretty ****? Or is it solid? Again, the Ultimate Pup Thread had it as kinda ****ty.....
--

--
I would go with the Dimarzio Norton. It has great tone and cleans up very good.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
DiMarzio PAF or PAF Pro sounds like it'd be right up your alley. I've never played a Gibson Dirty Fingers, but I've heard VERY mixed reviews on it. Some people it's the best pickup Gibson has done since the PAF, others say it's an abomination against God.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Check out WCRs. Most of the pickups on his site have sound clips.

http://www.wcrguitar.com

Jim Wagner is an awesome dude, very nice guy, and his pickups are incredible and hand wound by order. I have his Fillmores in my les paul, sick pickups, a hotter wound PAF style that nails those creamy, vocal Duane Allman lead tones from the "At Fillmore East" record, but also very versatile, does almost everything well and they clean up incredibly well.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 4, 2009,