To start off I have 550$ to spend. I have a Peavey JSX Half Stack and the band I am in plays metal/hardcore sounding guitar with solos and some clean slower songs. I dont know really anything about pedals but I want effects to give my solos and cleans that extra wooow.

I have looked at the boss gt-10, boss me-50 and the line6 pod x3 live. I have heard that both of the boss's have bad distortion channels but the line6 looks really confusing to me. Please help me out, what should i get???
dude, u got a jsx, thats sweet. if u were gonna get anything though, get an MXR 10 band equalizer (130$ canadian) and some kind of pedal to boost with.

but really, the MXR is a masterpiece, best 130$ you will ever spend, especially compared to multi effects.
Any kind of multi-fx pedal would basically kill your JSXs tone.

I don't know why you'd want a distortion or OD pedal. The thing already has a tone of gain and a super fat sound to begin with.

Maybe look at some single pedals or something. Echo, chorus, flange?
Quote by enselmis
dude, u got a jsx, thats sweet. if u were gonna get anything though, get an MXR 10 band equalizer (130$ canadian) and some kind of pedal to boost with.

but really, the MXR is a masterpiece, best 130$ you will ever spend, especially compared to multi effects.

Not to muddy the water, but I run my MXR through my POD XT Live, but i agree everybody needs a good EQ. As far as the POD, it does take some learning, but well worth it in the end.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
i really only want effects for solos and my cleans. so i should get single effect pedals instead of a multi effect for those?
get the damn MXR pedal dude, it's way below ur budget and absolutely worth it. u can get a great solo boost off it cause its got both volume and gain sliders, and it makes cleans really sing, i run a crate blue voodoo and it really smoothed out the highs, boosted the lows and made it all around awesome.
Agreed a Multi-FX would not be my pick for you at all. A nice delay, MXR Carbon Copy, or Boss DD-5,6 or 7 if you want somthing more versatile, Wah-Wah for solos any Morley are great for high gain amps, pedal tuner if don't already have one, and a chorus.
All I ever use is OD, delay and chorus, I have a wah, but it gets little to no action.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
A nice delay, MXR Carbon Copy, or Boss DD-5,6 or 7

+1, Satriani himself uses two DD-2s for reverb-like effect. I use my DD-3 for a similar effect, too, really makes the solos and cleans sound more "lush".
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
i'd just crank it with OD.. although it is untrue that a multi-effects pedal would "kill" the tone. that's bs.

No it's really not. I've run a GT-8, a Korg something or other, and a POD into my JSX for fun. Even with everything turned off it drastically alters the amps tone. The thing is is even with no effects turned on it still runs the sound through all the circuitry before sending it to your amp, generally leaving you with a really glassy thin process sounding tone. Oddly, they do seem to sound good with any and every Fender amp I tried them on though.

Granted with the GT-8 you can use the four cable method to get your amps true tone, but at that point you'd be looking at 60-100 feet of cable just so you could stand 10 feet away from your amp, which would kill your tone just as much.