I got the stock epiphone alnico pickups in it right now... would adding the gibson 57 plus and classic to it really make a difference in tone and sound?
I have the same pickups in my sg and yes that would make a big difference in the tone I would imagine. What style of music do you play?
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Yes, it would really improve the sound quality. Heck, almost anything would be better than the Epiphone stock pickups. (I own an Epiphone goth g-400 so I do have experience with them.)

Edit: Lol! The guy above me has the same guitar...
Ha yea I noticed that too. I just got it a couple weeks ago.
New Setup:
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by paintballcrazy7
yeah i got the g 400 lol. yeah i play alot of metal, but i dont want emgs... i hate using batterys lol.

First of all, if you're putting Gibson pups IN a guitar, you should do more research.

Secondly, if you want to put PAF style pickups in your guitar to play metal, you should do more research.

Don't buy pickups for the sake of buying pickups. Do you know how the 57 classics are gonna change your tone?

Oh, and what amp do you have?
Last edited by Mike! at Jan 4, 2009,
I would get some seymor duncans instead.
New Setup:
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

Jimi Hendrix
Randall RX120 Full Stack. Im not buying em for the sake of buying em. The stocks get really muddy. What kind of pick ups would you reccommend if not gibson?
You'll probably need hotter pickups than the 57s for metal.

Look into dimarzio and duncan pickups.

I won't go any further, I'm not an expert when it comes to metal tone.
The commonly used JB/Jazz combo is very versatile. There many others though, I just vouch for that one.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
As far as the Gibson Classics/Classic Plus go:
The stock pickups in Epiphones are made to the same design as the Gibson '57 Classic and Classic Plus pickups. If you replace the stock Epi pickups with the Gibson versions, the build quality is going to be a bit better and you should get a slightly clearer tone, but that's it. Through many amps (especially fi you play with any effects) you won't tell the difference.

Additionally, Gibson pickups are horrendously overpriced. The only ones worth buying are their P-90s and their BurstBucker #1/#2/#3 series, simply because there aren't any other pickups on the market that are close to those (unless you go to a private maker and have some specially wound for you)

As far as playing metal goes:
It's silly to say certain pickups don't have a high enough output for metal, because most people playing metal get their distortion from pedals or from using the amp's own gain control, it's very rare to see metal players only using their pickups to overdrive the amp hard enough, so high output pickups are usually wasted anyway.
You only need high-output pickups if you've got a naturally high-gain amp, you're not using pedals, you're not using the amp's own gain control, and you're fully cranking the amp as hard as it will go - this includes volume, which basically means for all you 'bedroom heroes', you're never going to get anywhere near close to this kind of set-up.

Is it worth you sticking the Gibson pickups in that Epi? Probably not, but not for the reasons given so far. They just won't be anything of a tonal change.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ i disagree, "metal" pickups (good ones, anyway, a lot suck, granted) are voiced for metal and are a lot tighter than pickups not voiced for metal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the G-400 Goth also, its pickups arent bad. But Id rather have EMGS, or D'marzio super distortions
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.