Poll Options
View poll results: Which drummer?
a) Simple, fast drummer
29 23%
b) Mid-tempo, complex drummer
98 77%
Voters: 127.
If you had to choose between

a) A drummer who plays simple fast 4/4 beats (like punk)
b) A drummer who plays complex, interesting beats/fills and can play in unusual time signatures (and play 4/4 mid-tempo), but couldn't play a song like Master Of Puppets

Which would you pick?

I ask because I'm practicing drums and wondering what area I should concentrate on.
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Jan 4, 2009,
Why don't you concentrate on being a good all round drummer? and what kind of drummer can't play a 4/4 beat?
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
both
G3AR:
Ibanez RG4EX1 (EMG-81)
Peavey AC BXP-4
Jackson Dinky Reverse (EMG-81)
Gallien-Krueger Backline 112
Peavey Backstage 110
Digitech RP2000

Someone who can't do 4 4 beats will have an even harder time with complex time.
Quote by Birchall17
Why don't you concentrate on being a good all round drummer? and what kind of drummer can't play a 4/4 beat?

I said simple fast drumming. Like punk fast, for half an hour. Never said option b) couldn't play 4/4.
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Jan 4, 2009,
How bout a drummer who can play anything?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by BrickIsRed
If you had to choose between

a) A drummer who plays simple fast 4/4 beats (like punk)
b) A drummer who plays complex, interesting beats/fills and can play in unusual time signatures (and play 4/4 mid-tempo), but couldn't play a song like Master Of Puppets

Which would you pick?

I ask because I'm practicing drums and wondering what area I should concentrate on.

most decent drummers can do both, but a is easier to learn quickly, since there's so fewer of those forms of beats, so learn A, then concentrate on B (btw, B will get you further in drumming).
im not real sure what your asking, but i would rather a drummer who could keep good time and lay down simple grooves over a drummer who could play ridiculously fast but had a hard time keeping time and/or slowing it down and just grooving
Musicianship > Speed.

It's better to be able to play cleanly at 160 BPM than it is to play sloppily at 200 BPM.
if you're playing punk, then it's important to have speed and to be able to maintain it over time, if you're playing progressive rock, complexity is most important, but most other genres will be somewhere in between.
I can keep time really easy so having an entertaining drummer is important for me
No means maybe
Quote by Second Rate
Musicianship > Speed.

It's better to be able to play cleanly at 160 BPM than it is to play sloppily at 200 BPM.

+2 to this post

also im pretty sure if a guy can play complex drum parts he could play Master of Puppets....Lars......ughh....though whether he would stoop to do so is a different matter.
Almost any drummer who can do the latter can also do the former. Just work on being a good, well rounded drummer. Master of Puppets is a really easy song, so it's pretty unlikely that someone would be able to groove comfortably in 7/4 or something and not be able to play it.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
B for sure, I'd much rather have a drummer who I could play something interesting at 135 beats per minute than someone who could play at 200 bpm but just hit the snare and bass drum. Plus the complex drummer would get faster over time anyways.
I like a drummer who knows how to compliment the feel of a song. Sometimes a drummer can be too focused on trying to play something complex or unique and it will end up ruining the song's feel. There are a ton of songs that just wouldn't sound right without a simple 4/4 punk type beat. But at the same time you don't want to have a boring drummer. There are a lot of good songs that would be extremely boring if the drummer didn't do something interesting.

It's all about finding a balance - a good drummer should be able to play a wide range of styles and also be able to recognize what type of playing compliments a song.
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
I believe the drummer your talking about is the Chad Smith.

+1

a drummer like chad smith would be the perfect drummer for me
A good drummer shouldn't be either of the two. A good drummer should be able to play simple, complex, slow, mid-tempo and fast - as well as being creative enough to know when to play what!

Lars Ulrich knows what drumming is about!
Quote by wise1man
A good drummer shouldn't be either of the two. A good drummer should be able to play simple, complex, slow, mid-tempo and fast - as well as being creative enough to know when to play what!

i feel sorry for those who think that.
Quote by BrickIsRed

I heard this somewhere and it sounded really wise. Here's it paraphrased:

Learn to do it right before you learn to do it fast.
Quote by wise1man

Don't cite an ok drummer as an example

how bout we get some LES BINKS! (early judas priest) in here!
Quote by wise1man

Yeah if by drumming you mean ham-fistedly bludgeoning a drumset in uncomplex and uninteresting ways, then yes he does.

The proper revised version of your statement should go like this:

Lars Ulrich knows what ham-fistedly bludgeoning a drumset in uncomplex and uninteresting ways is about!

so....yeah.....what you said.....plus what I said.
ive played drums for 4 years. start with the 4/4 beat basic stuff, then work your way to more complex beats and time signatures. that way, you can be both kinds of drummers.
I've been working on learning fills, which seems to be improving my speed/stamina too, so I guess this is a balanced approach.
Quote by Josh Shiells
John Dolmayan.

best thing i've read in this thread

TS; you might want to look up some system of a down. guitars might be easy and dull, but drumworks certainly isn't.
You like it
Rick Allen plays much better with one arm than Lars with both, so yea.
SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL

"And the earth died screaming as I lay dreaming"
you guys don't even know. Bill Bruford is the best drummer that ever lived. listen to his stuff on Fragile by Yes and his solo stuff with Earthworks.
Mitch Mitchell.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
So neither can play Master of Puppets?
Or at least, that's what I got out of this.
One plays beats as in a punk song.
The other plays complex beats, but not Master of Puppets.

Option c) A drummer that can play Master of Puppets!
My band plays punk, therefore my drummer plays simple but fast.

A complex drummer would be very unfitting, but they obviously have more skill.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
what kind of music do you play?
base your drumming style on that, if you play punk go basic but if it's something like prog or tech death you want to know odd time signatures etc etc
Quote by dead-fish
^My god.

98% of teenagers have had or have been around alcohol, sig this if you like begals
fast drummers that can't play complex beats suck
players of more complex styles that can't play fast don't necessarily suck.
nothing is keeping you from doing both,
and both are required to become more than average. ( in most genres )