hey folks!
whats up?!
to start off, ive been playing for about 3 yrs now.... im not gonna say im good or bad... but im learning thats for sure!!
so i have this problem with my picking hand ......
well, i can play pretty fast with my fret hand, im able to do some leads by yngwie etc etc.... BUT..... i can never follow up with my picking hand..... if i wanna play something fast, i gotta legato it, my picking hand is not able to keep up with my fret hand....
now im not talking about tremolo picking/alternate picking on 1 string, coz that i can do...
but when it comes to playing tremolo picking w/ string skipping, my picking hand just cant keep up....
now is there any exercises that i can possibly do to pick up the speed of my picking hand!!
please dont link me to an alternate picking lesson as i already know it well...
thank you for ur help!!!
Quote by Mike-T93
Practice?

haha i do that regularly, but i still dont seem to be able to get the picking hand speed up right, i mean i see a slight increase, but the fretting hand is making much more progress then the picking hand....
Practice slowly while focusing on keeping your hands in sync and work your way up to whatever tempo that Yngwie lead was. Your only as a fast as your slowest hand

As for licks, you could try 3 note per string scales or the extremely basic chromatic scale exercises
Last edited by MRavioli at Jan 4, 2009,
play slowly with a metronome starting at 60 bpms and going up in increments from 2-5. only go up when you have it down perfectly at the pace.

ex: you play something at 60 bpms perfectly, then go up to 63 play it perfectly etc.

if you can't play slow you can't play fast PERIOD. that's what is wrong with most guitarists who say the can't pick fast enough. do this everyday for the rest of your life.

when you get to a pace where you can't play anymore (let's say 155) try a few more times and if you can't do it, give up for the day and play some songs and **** and do it again tomorrow and the next day and the day after that until you can get past that ceiling. eventually you will be able to play faster and faster. it's the only way to learn to play faster period.
Quote by ironman1478
play slowly with a metronome starting at 60 bpms and going up in increments from 2-5. only go up when you have it down perfectly at the pace.

ex: you play something at 60 bpms perfectly, then go up to 63 play it perfectly etc.

if you can't play slow you can't play fast PERIOD. that's what is wrong with most guitarists who say the can't pick fast enough. do this everyday for the rest of your life.

when you get to a pace where you can't play anymore (let's say 155) try a few more times and if you can't do it, give up for the day and play some songs and **** and do it again tomorrow and the next day and the day after that until you can get past that ceiling. eventually you will be able to play faster and faster. it's the only way to learn to play faster period.

THIS ^
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.