Hey guy's, I just started playing a month ago or 2 and I got some questions I want to be answered and by all means, I'm a nub ^^;;

-How do you know when to stop tightning before it breaks?..

-My string's sound like they're rattling or sounds very loose, time to get new strings?

-Let's say I tried tuning my guitar to something different (for a song) but then when i tried tightning the string to a higher note (like A to G?) but then the string get's very hard and tight. Wouldn't the string break or go further?..

-last question, on the eletric tuner I borrowed, I notice there's like D1 and D2..G1 and G2, what does the number mean?
1. u know its gonna break when its really tight, and its getting really hard to turn the knob up further
2. not necessarily .....
3. it would most probably break....
4. i think its for the octaves....
1. Use a tuner.

2. Either they're tuned too low, or your action is set wrong (too low). Please refer to #1, or have a guitar tech check out your action and set it. Expect to pay about $40 for this service. Once you're a little more familiar with guitars, you can save the money and do it yourself.

3. The strings will stretch to a certain point, then snap. We've all done it once. After that, we never do it again. Please refer back to #1.

4. I believe that refers to the exact frequency of the note. I generally use the chromatic function of my tuner, so I know exactly where to tune it.
You'll just know by experience when a string will break from over tightening.

This is due to what's called "action". If the action on your guitar is too low, then the strings are too close to your fret board and will touch the frets as the vibrate. There are a few ways to adjust this, but should be done by an experienced guitar technician.

I'm not sure about your string tightening question. As I said...you'll just learn from experience.

C4 is what is called "middle C". It's often the middle note on a piano. So if you have D3, it's the D below middle C. C3 will be an octave below middle C and C5 will be an octave higher etc.

Hope this all helps.
Last edited by grantjames at Jan 4, 2009,
1) When you go beyond standard tuning. Generally strings aren't made to go much beyond A440 (standard tuning). Like everyone else has said, get yourself a $10 electronic tuner.

2) Depends on the type of rattle. It could be your action, or it could be that you detuned a string too far and didn't tune it back up enough. That's somthing nobody will be able to answer without hearing it.

3) Don't worry about that yet. If you're only a couple months in, you should just stay in standard tuning and learn your basics.

4) Same thing as #3.

Don't try to bite off too much, just keep your guitar in standard and learn your basics like open chords, hammer-ons, and pull-offs. You're talking about trying to learn how to alley-oop when you haven't even learned how to dribble yet.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
- Well, you'll have to feel it actually. Strings are supposed to be tight after all. Just tune them to their pitch and it will be fine. Actually to break a string it must have been used very much and probably too hard.

- If they're old (eg. 2-3 months), why not? Else you should check if they're actually loose.

- At some point the string will break. But anyways, most songs don't use higher pitches than the standard tuning EADGBe.

- It's probably the octave of the note. E1 and E2 is the same note, just it's an octave higher.

Hope this helped you in any way