I'm almost 100% sure I'm going into some branch of the military after high school. What I would want to do is get into a medical field in the military and once my service is up go to a medical school for a few years and then hopefully get a job in a hospital. I've been doing research on my own and talking to teachers who have been in the military and my uncle who is a surgeon. But I would like to talk to anyone who is getting into the medical field or anyone going into/been in the military who knows about medical fields.

So anyone with knowledge who can answer questions or anything, post or PM me if you can.
wouldn't you do it the other way around?

go to medical school, have the military pay your schooling and then do your required service then be allowed to apply for a job in a normal hospital. That's what'd happen over here anyway.

what's the point in hiring someone for a medical field position if they have no medical skills?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I'm in AFROTC... get an anesthetic degree, you come out as a Lt. Col! nuff said.
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Quote by Lemoninfluence
wouldn't you do it the other way around?

go to medical school, have the military pay your schooling and then do your required service then be allowed to apply for a job in a normal hospital. That's what'd happen over here anyway.

what's the point in hiring someone for a medical field position if they have no medical skills?

That's what I meant. I didn't work it correctly. Or even in that way slightly... My mind is in another world right now.

Quote by metaldud536
Just make sure you heal people when they call for a medic otherwise they'll have to respawn.

It's OK. When we run out of guys I get teleported back to the Pokemon Center and they all get revived. Better not go with a group of more then 6 people though....
Last edited by The_Paranoia at Jan 4, 2009,
if your mind is in a nother world right now im not sure theyd want you..
either way its bad - i dont know animals
Quote by chickrawker
if your mind is in a nother world right now im not sure theyd want you..

I sent a letter to him to come back but he hasn't respond. I'd go get him myself but with the price of gas, I'm sure you understand.
Quote by BostonLP
I'm in AFROTC... get an anesthetic degree, you come out as a Lt. Col! nuff said.

Are you sure a recruiter hasn't sold you a bill of goods on that one? I know Pharmacists that have come in as Captains, but have never heard of anyone coming in from college as a Lt Col. Heck, that's one step below Brig. General. I'm sorry, but that just doesn't sound right and I put in 20+ years in the Air Force.
Quote by metaldud536
Just make sure you heal people when they call for a medic otherwise they'll have to respawn.

I smell a Delta Force player.
Hows it goin man, obviously, im in the marines here, just thought id put in my $.02. I think that what for what youre looking at, it would be best to go through the Navy, either through an NROTC program, or the reserves. With the NROTC, you can go to college, have it all payed for, then you go to OCS to become an officer, and at elast in my opinion, they have the best medical program of all the services. Or, if you do the reserves route, you'll go through their basic training, then, (I know this is the case for the Marines, pretty sure its the same for the navy though) you do 1 weekend a month, and you have the rest of the time to go to school/ whatever it is you want to do. It'll pay at least for a good chunk of school. Just a few questions, how are your grades, extracurriculars, etc. that colleges look at?
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

... wow...
Quote by The_Paranoia
I'm almost 100% sure I'm going into some branch of the military after high school. What I would want to do is get into a medical field in the military and once my service is up go to a medical school for a few years and then hopefully get a job in a hospital. I've been doing research on my own and talking to teachers who have been in the military and my uncle who is a surgeon. But I would like to talk to anyone who is getting into the medical field or anyone going into/been in the military who knows about medical fields.

So anyone with knowledge who can answer questions or anything, post or PM me if you can.

Spent 8 years as a Navy Corpsman and 4 years as an Army medic -- all the while certified as an EMT-P. I'm now a nurse. I might be able to answer a few questions.

My suggestion would be to look into the Navy Nurse program, last time a I checked you got a $1200/month stipend, tuition repayment, and a commission as an Ensign -- all for a paltry 4-6 year committment. Why waste time being enlisted like I did? Get the education, get paid for your knowledge, and be ready to start working when you get out.
Quote by used123
Hows it goin man, obviously, im in the marines here, just thought id put in my $.02. I think that what for what youre looking at, it would be best to go through the Navy, either through an NROTC program, or the reserves. With the NROTC, you can go to college, have it all payed for, then you go to OCS to become an officer, and at elast in my opinion, they have the best medical program of all the services. Or, if you do the reserves route, you'll go through their basic training, then, (I know this is the case for the Marines, pretty sure its the same for the navy though) you do 1 weekend a month, and you have the rest of the time to go to school/ whatever it is you want to do. It'll pay at least for a good chunk of school. Just a few questions, how are your grades, extracurriculars, etc. that colleges look at?

Not sure I understand what you mean with Reserves. I go to basic. Then after that, one weekend a month I have to do what?

My grades are a working thing. I had Senioritus last year (Freshmen year) and pulled off a 2.7. I buckled the hell down this year and I'm sitting on a 3.3 and I hope to bring it as high as I can before the end of the year. Extracurricular isn't something I'm good with. I am in one club, Improv. And other then that nothing. I have played baseball for about 12 years and I didn't make the team this year or last year. I'm going to a new school next year where I know the coach so I might have an in. My friend volunteers at the local hospital during summers and I think I'm going to join her this summer.

Quote by jblittlefield
Spent 8 years as a Navy Corpsman and 4 years as an Army medic -- all the while certified as an EMT-P. I'm now a nurse. I might be able to answer a few questions.

My suggestion would be to look into the Navy Nurse program, last time a I checked you got a $1200/month stipend, tuition repayment, and a commission as an Ensign -- all for a paltry 4-6 year committment. Why waste time being enlisted like I did? Get the education, get paid for your knowledge, and be ready to start working when you get out.

Nurse Program sounds interesting. I'll have to look more into that. Any time you have to spend on boats? Ever since I was forced to watch Jaws as a child I've had a small fear of boats Especially ones that could get shot at. Not like I can't get over that fear.

Is there any programs that don't require you to play "GI Joe" for a while? I'm in shape but I'm far from a fan of waking up at 5 AM to run and stuff. Thanks for the info, mind if I PM you if I get anymore questions?
Last edited by The_Paranoia at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by The_Paranoia
Not sure I understand what you mean with Reserves. I go to basic. Then after that, one weekend a month I have to do what?

My grades are a working thing. I had Senioritus last year (Freshmen year) and pulled off a 2.7. I buckled the hell down this year and I'm sitting on a 3.3 and I hope to bring it as close as I can before the end of the year. Extracurricular isn't something I'm good with. I am in one club, Improv. And other then that nothing. I have played baseball for about 12 years and I didn't make the team this year or last year. I'm going to a new school next year where I know the coach so I might have an in. My friend volunteers at the local hospital during summers and I think I'm going to join her this summer.

Basically for the reserves, you go to your duty station one weekend a month and you do drills, which can range from shooting on the range, working on field tactics, PT, etc (im not completely sure what it is that you do, im on active duty right now) and other than that, youre basically a civilian the rest of the time. A couple of my good friends are doing this to get college paid for, because they will pay a very large chunk of it, depending on the school you go to. The reason I asked about grades is because for the NROTC scholarship, its very competitive, seeing as they will pay for all of your schooling, tuition, books, give you money for food and housing, (which in the Marines is the same as a sergeants housing allowance around $2000 a month for where I live). If youre just a sophmore and you start getting ready for this stuff early, thats great. The best thing to do for getting information is to go into you're local recruiting office. I know it can be intimidating, but they have the most information available. Since youre only a sophmore, they wont try to sign you up there, they cant until youre 18, so it should be more relaxed.
Quote by gallagher2006

... wow...
Quote by KG6_Steven
I smell a Delta Force player.

Smells more like BF2.
Quote by The_Paranoia

It's OK. When we run out of guys I get teleported back to the Pokemon Center and they all get revived. Better not go with a group of more then 6 people though....

Yea cause then they start spamming the voice command with "Medic!" for every little scratch they take.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by KG6_Steven
Are you sure a recruiter hasn't sold you a bill of goods on that one? I know Pharmacists that have come in as Captains, but have never heard of anyone coming in from college as a Lt Col. Heck, that's one step below Brig. General. I'm sorry, but that just doesn't sound right and I put in 20+ years in the Air Force.

It does happen, what they end up doing is going to school for the 4 years for a bachelors, another 4 for a doctorate, and I think another 2 for another specialized degree. I'm not entirely sure of the order, but about 10 years of schooling, and about a year or so of your AFSC training and I believe you are eligible to be commissioned as a Lt. Col. You have the pay-grade but the YOS kinda holds your salary down I don't know how often it happens, but it does exist.

Btw-I try not to talk to recruiters that often, it kinda numbs my brain :P
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Quote by used123
Basically for the reserves, you go to your duty station one weekend a month and you do drills, which can range from shooting on the range, working on field tactics, PT, etc (im not completely sure what it is that you do, im on active duty right now) and other than that, youre basically a civilian the rest of the time. A couple of my good friends are doing this to get college paid for, because they will pay a very large chunk of it, depending on the school you go to. The reason I asked about grades is because for the NROTC scholarship, its very competitive, seeing as they will pay for all of your schooling, tuition, books, give you money for food and housing, (which in the Marines is the same as a sergeants housing allowance around $2000 a month for where I live). If youre just a sophmore and you start getting ready for this stuff early, thats great. The best thing to do for getting information is to go into you're local recruiting office. I know it can be intimidating, but they have the most information available. Since youre only a sophmore, they wont try to sign you up there, they cant until youre 18, so it should be more relaxed.

Alright thanks for the information. What GPA should I am for to get the NROTC? So they pay you 2 grand a month? Sweet deal. No wounder why its competitive. I think I'm going to wait a little longer to talk to a recruiter. First off this idea isn't sitting well with my mom. She wants me to get a desk job or something. And even though I would kill to get into medical, I'm still only 15/16 so my mind can change tomorrow.
Quote by The_Paranoia
Alright thanks for the information. What GPA should I am for to get the NROTC? So they pay you 2 grand a month? Sweet deal. No wounder why its competitive. I think I'm going to wait a little longer to talk to a recruiter. First off this idea isn't sitting well with my mom. She wants me to get a desk job or something. And even though I would kill to get into medical, I'm still only 15/16 so my mind can change tomorrow.

There isnt a set GPA to aim for, seeing as it depends on the people who apply for it, but usually 3.5 or above is what to aim for, also, the 2.7 freshmen year doesnt necessarily need to be a bad thing, if you bring it up in the next couple of years, it can show that youre working toward making yourself better. And definitly, take your time with it. I'm not a recruiter, and I wouldnt want to be one because I never want to make up someones mind for them. You have to decide for yourself what you want to do, its good that youre starting early though.
Quote by gallagher2006

... wow...
Im a Navy Corpsman right now...working at a hospita...if you go in enlisted you can go into a officer program where they will pay for everything....if you decide to say go into the nurse corps you can talk to recruiters there....and if you just say decide to stay in and do your years enlisted then you can always get out and use your GI Bill which is WAY better than it used to be...