Hi guys,

I have a question about hooking my new Blackstar HT-5H head to a cab.

There are 3 speaker outputs on the head, 1 marked ‘1x16ohm’ which is used to hook up to a single 16ohm cab, that’s fine, no problem there.

The other 2 are marked ‘1x8ohm or 2x16om’ and this is where my question comes up.

I currently have the amp hooked up to the speakers on my Combo amp (connected to one of the 1x8ohm) but I am planning on buying a Marshall 1922 cab to hook it up to.

The 1922 cab has 2 modes 8ohm Mono and 16ohm Stereo, so am I better off using 1 speaker cable and using the cab in 8ohm mono or is there a benefit to using 2 cables and having the cab in 16ohm Stereo mode?

Or have I got the whole situation arse-backward? Thanks for you’re help.
You have ONE speaker cable connecting the cab, if I read what you're doing wrong correctly.

I would connect the 16 ohm output on the head to the 16 ohm input on the cab, since you will be running through one cab.

Also, check out avatarspeakers.com before you buy the 1922. Such a better deal, its really cheap for what they put into the cabs

If you ever run 2 cabs (stack) through your amp head, thats what the #1 and #2 outputs on the amp are for, dont hook up one 8 ohm and another 16 ohm cab at the same time. Hook the 2 cabs in 8 ohm.
Last edited by jarudy at Jan 4, 2009,
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the stereo is for stereo effects. Does your effects loop have a left and a right? Delay or leslie sounds better in the stereo mode. The delay will go left right left right instead of mono pushing the same thing through every speaker in your cab. If you don't have stereo effects, its nothing to worry about, just do mono. Make sure that the ohms coming out of you head are not lower than the ohms on your cab. I may not be understanding what your saying though.
Last edited by Nike-Man at Jan 4, 2009,
^It doesn't matter, since he doesn't have a stereo amp/two amps.
Mono, 8ohm is the easiest way to go.
Quote by Roc8995
^It doesn't matter, since he doesn't have a stereo amp/two amps.
Mono, 8ohm is the easiest way to go.

Could he have a stereo effects loop?
Quote by Roc8995
Not in a mono amp, no.
Well, you could, but it would be very silly.

Ight. I don't know anything about his head.
Quote by jarudy
Also, check out avatarspeakers.com before you buy the 1922. Such a better deal, its really cheap for what they put into the cabs

I checked out the Avatar Cabs and they look really good, but there not cheap here in Australia. guess the exchange rate, plus shipping and all that crap really adds up because the 2x12 cabs run close to $1k here and I really afford that much right now.

I'm probably just going to get the Bugera 4x12, I've read some pretty encouraging reviews and I can pick one up for $500 so it's half the price of the Avatar and $500 is pretty much as far as my budget will stretch.

Just wish someone did an affordable 2x12 cab down here =)