I'm guessing the song needs some notes beyond the 21st fret. If so, you have a few choices:
Change the key
Bend up to the note
Play it an octave below/use a whammy pedal
And its probably a frowned upon technique but a friend of mine who's guitar only went up to C# could play a high D by pushing his finger down after the last fret, as if there was another fret past it. Not sure if I've described it well but it worked.
Or, if it's part of a solo, you could omit the part that goes up to the high note.
Change the key is your best bet.

Unless its only to the 22nd fret then bend that sumbitch!
Quote by NiceMuscles Bro
It depends on the context of the note(s). Bending might be useless if its a demanding passage.

Bending before you pick, and then pcik?
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by abcdboy
Bending before you pick, and then pcik?

It's more about the speed than anything. If it's a part that's 16ths at 180, and you have to hit a 24th fret note with your 22nd fret, bending isn't going to work very well.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
It's more about the speed than anything. If it's a part that's 16ths at 180, and you have to hit a 24th fret note with your 22nd fret, bending isn't going to work very well.

yea. im not familiar with the song the TS asked about, so its hard to say what is needed. changing the key or tuning of the guitar could work.
You could just drop the part in question by an octave. That would be the simplest solution.
The one I would suggest would be bending up to the note.

However, be aware that there is not always going to be one quick thing that would make this possible because it wasn't written to be played on a 21 fret guitar. It's a bit like asking how to play a bassline on a five-string bass on a four string.
Pinch Harmonic on 15th fret on the b string with a a full step bend is 24th fret E string sound.

/thread

That or 22 fret guitar or ^ above mentioned options

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 5, 2009,