ok, so im ready to upgrade my STARcaster by Fender(strat copy). ive already replaced the trem. now i want to put on some beter tuners and maybe even a better nut. im a very big fan of my whammy so i really want something that will keep me in tune longer. i was thinking about locking tuners but i wasnt sure. what do you guys suggest to keep me in tune?

I do NOT want to install a floyd rose!
I do NOT want to buy a beter guitar!
I do NOT want new pickups!

please help me out!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
LSR rolling nut and Schaller locking tuners. Works nicely on the Jeff Beck signature.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
You don't need a new nut unless there's something ****ed up with your action. It really only affects the open notes, so...Yeah. Not wroth it. Tuners on the other hand, go for it.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by jarudy
How bout a new guitar
What whammy/tremelo did you put in? Hopefully a floyd

nah, i replaced the stock one with a standard strat trem( bought from GC for $24).
the floyd from GC waas $70 and i didnt feel like routing.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by abcdboy
You don't need a new nut unless there's something ****ed up with your action. It really only affects the open notes, so...Yeah. Not wroth it. Tuners on the other hand, go for it.

Can also affect the intonation and life of the strings.

Every piece of a guitar has a purpose.
A nice graphite nut and locking tuners.

Put some graphite on the trem-saddles too by the way.
Quote by Ekofu
Can also affect the intonation and life of the strings.

Every piece of a guitar has a purpose.

Screwed up action comes hand in hand with intonation, and unless you have a really sharp nut and it's cutting the strings or something, it won't affect the life of them. A new nut to replace an okay nut is the last thing you should get. My advice to TS was to save the money, so yeah.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by abcdboy

dont mean to flame you dude, but youve given the TS totally inacurate advice/information.

his concern is getting his guitar to stay in tune better, particularly when using the trem. A better nut will help with this.

basically, when you use the whammy, you are taking the tension off the strings and causing them to move through the nut as if you were tuning.

you know those "pinging" noises you get when you tune or use the whammy on a strat???? Thats the sound of the strings as they move through the nut, friction is causing them to stick, hence the ping noise.

A graphite nut would help with this, or that roller nut would be even better.

locking tuners are deffo the way forward.

a good tip is to pop the strings out and draw in the string grooves with a pencil (graphite) which will lube your strings, but you will need to do this periodically as the graphite dust will dissapear.

regards

G
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Quote by hippyheaven1
a good tip is to pop the strings out and draw in the string grooves with a pencil (graphite) which will lube your strings, but you will need to do this periodically as the graphite dust will dissapear.

yes, ive been doing this for the last few string changes. it really seems to help alot! now what are the best bang for the buck tuners out there that would keep me in tune? and how much is a roller nut and is it really worth it?

EDIT: also, would one be better than the other? like just locking tuners or just a roller nut? or do they need to be done together to notice an improvement?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Last edited by f22master at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by f22master
yes, ive been doing this for the last few string changes. it really seems to help alot! now what are the best bang for the buck tuners out there that would keep me in tune? and how much is a roller nut and is it really worth it?

EDIT: also, would one be better than the other? like just locking tuners or just a roller nut? or do they need to be done together to notice an improvement?

hey...

tuners fisrt then nut - but preferably both togeather if you have the cash.

lots of folk are using grahtech nuts (solid graphite) these days - ive heard theyre good. I couldnt say if the roller nut or graphtech is the best, but theyre both a similar price (under 10 quid) but you might need pro help to fit that part.

as for the tuners, most folk choose "spertzel" for lockers but at 60 quid or so, they aint cheap (but they ARE the best) - you may need to drill the headstock as the mounting holes might be in a different place.

there are cheaper lockers available, but I cant seem to find any of the cheap ones that have a proper locking mechanism like the sperzels.

some links...

roller nut: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROLLER-NUT-for-electric-guitar_W0QQitemZ130144681309QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item130144681309&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

graphtech nut: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Graphtech-trem-nut-for-STRAT-guitar-slotted-curved_W0QQitemZ130279169913QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item130279169913&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

sperzel locking tuners: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sperzel-Mini-Locking-guitar-machineheads-tuners-CHROME_W0QQitemZ130279172695QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item130279172695&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I hope that helps you :-)

G
Planet Waves locking tuners are nice. 18:1 ratio and they automatically snip the excess string.
thats a cool little feature :-)
brass nut

this is exactly what ya want to get. its on malmsteens guitar
My Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX

Cort VX 2V

Marshall JTM 60

Boss MT-2

Marshall Bluesbreaker Pedal (BB-2)
With that guitar, I would recommend at least changing pickups but if you really don't want to, a graphite nut will probably give you the most for your money. Locking tuners would probably help to if you use your tremolo bar, but if not, I don't think it would be that necessary unless you're guitar goes out of town easily.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Quote by Red989
With that guitar, I would recommend at least changing pickups but if you really don't want to, a graphite nut will probably give you the most for your money. Locking tuners would probably help to if you use your tremolo bar, but if not, I don't think it would be that necessary unless you're guitar goes out of town easily.

dude.... how exactly would changing his pickups help with his tuning problems ?????????

if you go back and read the first post, youll see the TS's question was SPECIFICALLY with regard to using his whammy. Locking tuners will have way more effect than a graphite nut in that respect.
^yes, that is how ive been winding my strings for the past few string changes. it really did help noticably!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B