How can I spice up my bass playing? I feel so bored when I play... My band just throws songs at me and I play whatever I come up with. I mostly play root notes and passing tones.. Try to throw in slides and hammer ons. And I mostly follow the bass drum or whole notes on slow songs and 8th's on faster songs. To me it sounds funny when I just try to play notes from the key we're in instead of the root.. I don't know. Someone help me
The obvious answer here would be to learn some scales, or what notes sound good with one another, and use them so you're not just playing the root note. Learning scales might be the easiest way, but you can find them on your own if you've got time and patience.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
It's obvious.
You put your favorite spicy chip dip
on top of your amp.
Insta' spicy tone.

As far as spicing playing though,
Learn yo' scales and junk foo'
Listen to A LOT of music and A LOT of different music.
Analyze your favorite players
Analyze players that you hate.
Be open to everything.
And then apply it back in yo band setting foo'

Love the Low end
-Do you have any effects? I'd recommend a small cheapo multi-effects pedal if you are unfamiliar with effects or want to experiment.

-Other than that, try to think outside the box with your playing generally. for instance, I recently bought a cheap IKEA acoustic (it's awful by the way - totally not worth £10 ) and i've started using fingering techniques from that on my bass. I find just watching random bass lesson videos on youtube and stuff you can learn new techniques and things that keep you interested in playing.

-after re-reading the 1st post CHORDS seems to be what's missing IMO. Instead of playing just "notes from the scale" try playing i, iii, v, iii, i etc. like, walking bass. also playing actual chords sometimes, but don't overuse them unless you've got, like, motorhead-style tone etc.

- try following or complementing the melody, guitar riff, or any other instrument in the band.

-write your own songs, then you can start with the bass, and make it as difficult as you like.

-allways keep an open mind and open ears, you can take influence from anything
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 5, 2009,
Hear what the guitarist is playing, then use it as a leaning point to where you wanna go after playing roots.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
use a few more octave patterns.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by jimRH7
-Do you have any effects? I'd recommend a small cheapo multi-effects pedal if you are unfamiliar with effects or want to experiment.

-Other than that, try to think outside the box with your playing generally. for instance, I recently bought a cheap IKEA acoustic (it's awful by the way - totally not worth £10 ) and i've started using fingering techniques from that on my bass. I find just watching random bass lesson videos on youtube and stuff you can learn new techniques and things that keep you interested in playing.

-after re-reading the 1st post CHORDS seems to be what's missing IMO. Instead of playing just "notes from the scale" try playing i, iii, v, iii, i etc. like, walking bass. also playing actual chords sometimes, but don't overuse them unless you've got, like, motorhead-style tone etc.

- try following or complementing the melody, guitar riff, or any other instrument in the band.

-write your own songs, then you can start with the bass, and make it as difficult as you like.

-allways keep an open mind and open ears, you can take influence from anything

Okay thanks I think your right I never use chords.
Quote by ImaHighwayChile
Ahhh **** it just slap

HAha I want to learn how to do that too. It's hard without lessons though.
Try to synchronise with the rhythms the drummer is playing. It's a good sound, and I often develop more rhythmically interesting lines as a result.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by ksmash5
HAha I want to learn how to do that too. It's hard without lessons though.

you don't need slap to sound funky you know.

now you do need it to sound slappy, but right now, you should focus on getting that clever spicy bass playing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Yeah I'm not going to worry about slapping right now. I usually play guitar but we lost our bassist so I'm the new bassist and I suck.
Quote by ksmash5
Yeah I'm not going to worry about slapping right now. I usually play guitar but we lost our bassist so I'm the new bassist and I am not yet the amazing Basslord Bob yet.

fixed.

you don't suck. you have room to improve. much better for your self esteem, am I not correct?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by ksmash5
Haha thanks.

I accept donations on PayPal.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Deliriumbassist
What helped me is really listening to the vocal line, and bridging them with the drums- that's the area I feel best works best within a band situation, and it opens up so much in terms of melody.

Some of my favorite Jamerson lines do just this - Darling Dear, For Once in My Life.... both are almost an intricate duet between the vocals and bass. Writing stuff like that is so challenging!
Try to play a close version of what the guitar player is playing. Like in the Mastodon song Wolf is Loose, the bass player follows close to the guitar duing the bridge part with the ascending riffs. Or try to get your band to build a song around a bass riff you come up with, sorta like how I think 21st Century by RHCP, the verse at least, seems centered around the bass line, with sorta minimal guitar going on. Also, depending on what chord your guitar player is playing, try starting with the root, then move on to other degrees of the chord, like the 3rd, then the 5th. The intro part of The Crowing by Coheed and Cambria seems to have that going on in it.
When riffing, play the same thing as the guitar.

I know that seems obvious, but you didn't say what the guitar was playing. I tend to find that helps. Try to follow its mood - if it's laid back, hold off a bit, and play something cool. Throw in the occasional bit o' spice, as you put it. Then, if it KICKS IT UP A NOTCH, start getting a bit more crazy.

Circumstance, my friend
Work alot with phrasing, using dead notes, staccato notes, working the melody into your line, exploring the fretboard... basically keep busy. If you find yourself doing something too repeatedly, don't be afraid to get a little...

>_>
<_<

... avant-garde
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by Gerbs
When riffing, play the same thing as the guitar.

I know that seems obvious, but you didn't say what the guitar was playing. I tend to find that helps. Try to follow its mood - if it's laid back, hold off a bit, and play something cool. Throw in the occasional bit o' spice, as you put it. Then, if it KICKS IT UP A NOTCH, start getting a bit more crazy.

Circumstance, my friend

Actually it's just piano, bass and drums which I'm not used to... It's weird playing along with just the piano. I think that's what throws me off. Any suggestions for that?