ok so i take the back off my guitar to adjust strings and it looks normal except.... there is this black cable iv never seen on other guitars, and my buddy who also owns a floyd doesnt have one, what is this cable and what does it do
it is sautered( i know thats misspelled) onto the spring claw
a picture is attached, thanks
Attachments:
untitled.jpg
Mine has one too, I just assume its the grounding wire for the pickup or something.
I've seen that on every tremolo equipped guitar i've ever seen, but I have no idea what it is or what it does. Don't fuck with it, better to be safe than sorry.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Quote by fiend89
its a ground wire

yep
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
Quote by wreck1819
so what happens if it gets pulled off by accident or something

EVERYONE dies.
Quote by wreck1819
so what happens if it gets pulled off by accident or something

You can get electrocuted and...possibly die.

Yes, that has happened to someone before.
youll most likely get pretty bad hum from the pickups

and risk ELECTROCUTION
if it comes off, your pickups buzz more.

happened to the other guitarist in my band. it was annoying for awhile.
HAHA. ^ this is the correct answer.

you arent going to die. you just solder it back on.

you would only get a shock if you were playing thru a bad outlet or amp and were touching a ground like a mic stand.
in the case that you were going to get a shock and killed from those things, i doubt that wire is the only thing standing between you and death.
or you know, they'd put a little lock on it or something
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You pickups will buzz. But there is almost no chance of electrocution. The pickups have such a small amount of electricity that you wouldn't even feel it. It's a big deal when your amp isn't grounded correctly; it's only an annoyance when your guitar isn't.

Oh and the reason your friend's guitar doesn't have on is it's probably grounded somewhere else, or it has active pickups (EMG's, Seymour Duncan Blackouts, EpiActives, etc.)
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by TSelman
You can get electrocuted and...possibly die.

Yes, that has happened to someone before.

Not with that wire, infact if someone is electrocuted by a guitar, odds are it's because of that wire Edit:well not because of the wire, because of the amp, like someone else said, but that wire is pretty much what gets the electricity to the bridge and strings. It grounds the bridge, you can take it off and it won't do any harm, but your guitar will be all buzzy. keep in mind that electricutions through guitars are very very rare these days
Last edited by david_highland at Jan 4, 2009,
Its your ground wire. Leave it as is, its there for a reason.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I dare you to plug into a 300 watt amp after undoing that ground wire and then touch the bridge.

Ok so I dont dare you but I just read another thread where he was always getting shocked by his guitar and it was probably his ground.

Just putting that out there....
I love it when people confuse grounds that are there for sound reasons to ones that are there for safety... And I have run guitars without ground wires in the bridge before. The issue if you get shocked is in the amp. Remember, current does not normally go through a guitar cable to the guitar, it goes the other way. If your amp has a bad ground, depending on the nature of it, it can go through you if you happen to be the path of lest resistance to ground, and then when that many amps is heading your way, that little wire isn't going to do sh*t. Ground loop shocks though are fairly common, but that wire has nothing to do with it.

EDIT: To expand on something, a pickup is an electromagnet, and thus makes current. Without something to go to ground to (IE you) it will go to ground through the amplifier as that is the current path of least resistance, and that is what that buzz is if I recall the theory behind pickups correctly.
Last edited by CJRocker at Jan 9, 2009,
To put enough current through that wire to risk bodily harm would end up just starting a fire before you got a chance to touch it. That's some seriously light gage wire. There is some major current running through your amp, true, but not your guitar itself.
Quote by Chaos Nil
I dare you to plug into a 300 watt amp after undoing that ground wire and then touch the bridge.

Ok so I dont dare you but I just read another thread where he was always getting shocked by his guitar and it was probably his ground.

Just putting that out there....

A 300w amp isn't going to send any more current through your guitar than a 5w amp, afaik. I could be wrong, though.
Quote by Monsterhog
A 300w amp isn't going to send any more current through your guitar than a 5w amp, afaik. I could be wrong, though.

Probably not but it sounds TONS scarier.
yeah, you're gonna get extra buzz/noise, as all the other regulars said.

if your friend doesn't have one, he should probably attach one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?