After a long ass time looking for a singer we gave up. We're until further notice, an intrumental band.

But our problem is, music without singing is boring. How do we make it so that our music is not boring? We're a thrash/speed metal band.

Like we have awesome songs but it just sounds as if something is missing, the vocals. It's boring and repetitive without them.

So, what can my band and I do to make ourselves unboring?
UG'S THRASHOHOLIC DRUMMER
WRECK YOUR NECK WITH A PASSION FOR THRASHIN
Instrumental metal bands dont work too well so either keep searching orrrrrrrrrrrrr change your genre.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Try adding a good variety of melodies and definitely write songs that go through a lot of changes. The standard song progressions won't work so well for instrumental.
Listen to a lot of instrumental songs and bands to get an idea of what they do and apply it to your own songs.
Changing the arrangements, massive buildups, etc. all that sort of thing helps. But I mean people can rock out without vocals as long as it's not insanely repetitive. Hopefully a good vocalist comes your way soon!
Get another guitarist, and take turns soloing in place of the vocal melody?

And not shred-solos. Actual nice melodic ones kinda like a vocal melody.
1. use your lead guitar like a vocalist. replace your vocals with lead guitar work.
2. dont play the same riff 16 times in a row (unless its backing a solo/lead).

listen to good instrumental metal for ideas... orion and the call of ktulu* by metallica are good.

*personally i get bored after the second half of that song, but maybe thats just me.
Listen to Joe Satriani's entire discography.
Practice. Play. Sleep. Repeat.

Quote by pearlJam_31490
i take it next your going to tell me that Cb is a note too!
Dream Theater = Instrumental Metal

/thread

Okay they have a singer, but seriously they also have stuff that's instrumental which is purely awesome.

Thrash Metal without vocals won't work, cause it needs vocal.

It's like making instrumental guitar rock without a guitar.

You ought to change ur style to melodic metal and take some of the above mentioned suggestions in thread in consideration.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 5, 2009,
Stream of Consciousness! KERPOW.
Practice. Play. Sleep. Repeat.

Quote by pearlJam_31490
i take it next your going to tell me that Cb is a note too!
To make an instrumental band work you really have to drop the repetitiveness and focus on making the instrumentation as interesting as possible. i.e. Don Caballero
pull a steve vai/joe satch or yngwie or just growl and be death metal
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Quote by metal overlord
After a long ass time looking for a singer we gave up. We're until further notice, an intrumental band.

But our problem is, music without singing is boring. How do we make it so that our music is not boring? We're a thrash/speed metal band.

Like we have awesome songs but it just sounds as if something is missing, the vocals. It's boring and repetitive without them.

So, what can my band and I do to make ourselves unboring?

Maybe try some post-metal stuff, like Pelican, Isis, Cult Of Luna...
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Add an Symphonic into your genre and use an backing track orchestra? Just an idea.

I never find Instrumental Symphonic Metal boring
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Listen to the band Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet. Their most famous song is Having an Average Weekend (theme for Kids in the Hall). They're instrumental, yet I can never, ever get bored of their music because the guitar line is just so damn infectious, but not repetitive.
Koslack - only a Canadian would know them, eh?

Agreed, though.... it is a VERY tough go to be without a singer and to try to engage an audience with your material without one. You've gotten a couple of suggestions of bands who are doing it.

Add Apocalyptica to that list. Sure, they have the added 'novelty' going for them that they blow you away that they can sound like that without guitars, but their content speaks for itself too.

In any case, at least one of you has to be strong enough to carry and present a melody that the audience will buy into,

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I know some guys said it already but listen to satriani, how he uses his guitar in place of vocals.

Also there are some very engaging instrumental post-metal bands out there. Isis, Russian Circles, Pelican etc.....Liquid Tension Experiment, though listening to them will likely just depress you because they are so good.

Either that or put out a call for a singer, ads, flyers etc to get the word out that you are looking.
Last edited by Roxor_Mc0wnage at Jan 7, 2009,
I say just one of you sing. It's really not that hard. Besides there are benefits to being a ****ty singer- YOU DONT HAVE TO TRY! just put on a show . It's fun to sing like lemmy