i got my first bass a few days ago after playing guitar for 2 years and most everything is easy ive looked at. I feel like im cheating somehow but i use my fingers and have learned to play most of the solo in nib. Is there something i should watch for. I dont want to be doing something wrong and end up playing with horrible technique.

Thanks
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=EmoSlayer
Well I get alot of **** from bassists when I play a bass, they say that I just look like a guitarist playing a bass.

Conversely, when I see a bassist playing a guitar I notice that they're just bassists with a guitar in their hands lol.

With time, you'll "look" more and more like a bassist, says I.
I wonder if anyone saw my original post... :P
Anyway, did you play classical guitar or electric?
Are you using a pick now or just fingering?
Do you play slap bass at all?
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Last edited by evilbeaver22 at Jan 4, 2009,
lol sorry i have a squier jazz bass

Edit: Wait you were just being a douche
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

Last edited by Emo-Slayer at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by evilbeaver22
I wonder if anyone saw my original post... :P
Anyway, did you play classical guitar or electric?
Are you using a pick now or just fingering?
Do you play slap bass at all?

yes i saw your original post

I have and takamine eg341sc and a gibson less paul and i am learnin slap from my friend and i use my fingers not a pick unless its like megadeth or something

Last edited by Emo-Slayer at Jan 4, 2009,
keep the thumb on your fretting hand behind the neck.

that's what exposed me.

also, arch your picking hand, so it's not parallel to the strings.
Quote by redflag69
Well I get alot of **** from bassists when I play a bass, they say that I just look like a guitarist playing a bass.

Conversely, when I see a bassist playing a guitar I notice that they're just bassists with a guitar in their hands lol.

With time, you'll "look" more and more like a bassist, says I.

awesome observation skills

what have you done that seems/feels/looks ankward or wrong in your playing?
I made the conversion too and i have two pieces of advice:

1. Remember that bass is also a rhythm instrument. It is your job to work with your drummer and get into the groove. You need to have a better sense of rhythm than the average guitarist

2. Be careful when writing bass lines. As a guitarist, they may come out sounding like guitar solos on bass. Your bass lines should start out with a structure similar to how you'd write a song on guitar with chords. Then you can jazz it up a bit. Don't get too complex too quickly.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
TS, in reference to your sig, I must request: video, or NIB never happened.

Sorry to correct you Ben but its

N.I.B.

the dots make it look evil as ****
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by Deliriumbassist
TS, in reference to your sig, I must request: video, or NIB never happened.

Quote by Deliriumawesomeness
I know it's N.I.B. dammit, I just couldn't be arsed to move my finger over to the full stop button three times in some sentence.

Orly?

I think you are awesome, sir.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
ellipsis doesn't count, bitch Don't make me post the new version of the picture I made

DO I LOOK SCARED?

I did a poopie in my pants!
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Deliriumbassist
say what now, Chris?

You're a sneaky, sneaky bastard

Didja see what I did to your name in my quote?

Oooh, burn!

EDIT: Haha, genius.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Deliriumbutthole
I wub you Chwiss! <3

Quote by Nuttsack_101
I wub you 2 Benji-boo! <3

Awww.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
fingering techniques (finark finark) can also make you look more like a bass player. try doing that thing where you put a finger on each fret eg: index-1st fret, middle-2nd fret, ring-3rd fret, pinky-4th fret.
or doubling up fingers to fret notes. I usually double-up for bends etc.

other than that, showing off amazing reach will impress them, but you shouldn't worry about what other people think of you or your playing - you can't please everyone and It might put you off playing, meaning you'l make mistakes etc.
and the bass forum has already strayed from whatever the hell we were meant to be talking about in the first place.
Quote by jimRH7
fingering techniques (finark finark) can also make you look more like a bass player. try doing that thing where you put a finger on each fret eg: index-1st fret, middle-2nd fret, ring-3rd fret, pinky-4th fret.
or doubling up fingers to fret notes. I usually double-up for bends etc.

other than that, showing off amazing reach will impress them, but you shouldn't worry about what other people think of you or your playing - you can't please everyone and It might put you off playing, meaning you'l make mistakes etc.

the thread got a little weird i dont give a **** what people think i just dont wont to develop any bad techniques

lol, oh well if the thread got wierd, i suppose that happens a lot!

Anyway, so long as the bass playing sounds tight and good, it should be ok, but thats just my opinion!

Try some fast funky stuff, or soul to test your bass skills! Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder is pretty hard to get you fingers round smoothly.
Even if you don't like the genre, its good practise!
Quote by Emo-Slayer
the thread got a little weird i dont give a **** what people think i just dont wont to develop any bad techniques

If you can play everything you say you can play without your hands (especially your fretting hand) hurting like a bitch, you probably aren't doing much wrong. The reason everything seems so easy is that you have played guitar (a quasi-similar instrument) for 2 years, and so you already have a lot of prior knowledge that you could apply to bass. I was the same way when it came to music theory. I played clarinet for 6 years before picking up bass, so I needed to learn very little music theory when I started, and so I could mostly work on technique alone.

And again, the main point of good technique is to reduce hand strain and the risk of repetitive motion injuries. If you can play all that and nothing hurts, your technique must already be pretty good.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
technique dont mean anything do what feels right
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"