So, as I was walking out of guitar center today I looked in these three buckets- discount items like open box or crap returns and stuff. In the $10 bucket there I saw it, some Seymore Duncan Lightnin' Rod Basslines active pickups for P-bass. List price on the sticker said $156. I ask the dude at the counter, "this thing seriously $10" he said yea. SO I got them.

Problem is- I don't own a bass. I own only a Squier strat guitar. I'm still learning both guitar and bass, enjoy listening to jazz, funk, metal, rock, and I guess you would call it contemporary christian. I play guitar/bass for my youth group worship band through a PA system, practice at home using a fender g-dec junior, which for now works fine for both guitar and bass.

Any recommendations on what I should do with the pickups? I could get a pawn shop bass and install them, could get a pick guard blank and install them to be rigged with a guitar, could just mess around with the pots and stereo jack that came with them and save the pickups for later. I'm open for anything.
well if you got alittle extra cash go to www.Rondomusic.com and pickup a cheap bass thier exellent quility dont let price fool you slap em em and you will have a mean bass poundin machine or if you dont want to do that sell them to me lol
Quote by WyldeMan666
well if you got alittle extra cash go to www.Rondomusic.com and pickup a cheap bass thier exellent quility dont let price fool you slap em em and you will have a mean bass poundin machine or if you dont want to do that sell them to me lol

I hear the SX manufacturer is not so great though. I'd like something with decent quality wood if I'm gonna be modding it though.
Last edited by Jerry.thewise at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by Jerry.thewise
So, as I was walking out of guitar center today I looked in these three buckets- discount items like open box or crap returns and stuff. In the $10 bucket there I saw it, some Seymore Duncan Lightnin' Rod Basslines active pickups for P-bass. List price on the sticker said $156. I ask the dude at the counter, "this thing seriously $10" he said yea. SO I got them.

Nice!

SX is great quility read any review i have a fender p-bass and an sx p-j bass and the its no contest the sx is way better
Quote by WyldeMan666
SX is great quility read any review i have a fender p-bass and an sx p-j bass and the its no contest the sx is way better

I guess it was more inconstant in the craftsmanship. Besides, it was just something I heard.

I'm really more interested in a jazz bass though, so this p-bass pickup is kinda in the way, which is why I'd be coo with a pawn shop bass.
Quote by WyldeMan666
well rondo makes A cool J-bass with one j and one p pickup

Well so does Ibanez. And on the not so great fender jazz knock off I use at my church, I prefer the neck j-pup rather than the bridge, which is the j-pup that's on all the Ibanez and sx I've seen.
ii like a combo of them both the jazz for me is a little thinner sounding than the P but i find it a little more responsive
Even still I think I'd go for a pawn shop bass rather than ordering a fresh one. Could probably pull off a better deal anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am still quite curious as to how a bass pickup would sound on a guitar. Any experience on this from anyone?
well actually i have i put one half of a p pup in my mandolin and it is very good clean its not gonna be a great hi-gain pickup though