hey guys Im not sure if this is in the right forum, so let me know. Anyways, I'm in a band right now, and we are working on a couple of songs. I'm basically the lead guitarist, and I dont really contribute too much in making the songs for our band. We have about 4 songs, so we obviously arent big at all.
In my spare time, i like to write acoustic riffs, think kinda john mayer-ish and john butler trio. I hope to write lyrics for them, but at the same time, i feel bad that i am not sharing many of my ideas with the band. I guess it's because i have an interest in a wider variety of genres. What do you guys think? Should i be sharing what ever i got or is it alright to have some solo acoustic ideas?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
I only put forth about half of the songs I wrote towards my last band.

I legally own the all, though.

No, but remember if you're ever famous, you can only be in one band.

Serj Tankian can't actively be in SOAD and still release records, unless it's under a similarly-housed project such as SerjArt.
Quote by Josh Shiells

Serj Tankian can't actively be in SOAD and still release records, unless it's under a similarly-housed project such as SerjArt.

john frusciante? he doesnt contribute any of his songs to rhcp even though anthony keidis has asked him to on many occasions. he thinks they are too personal for him to submit to the band
Quote by Josh Shiells

Tell this to Mike Patton. Or Maynard James Keenan. Or half of Pearl Jam.

You have no moral obligation to present songs to your band unless you feel they should hear it. If you want to start a second band, and you have time for both, go right ahead, there's no law that says you shouldn't.
Quote by dmiwshicldply
john frusciante? he doesnt contribute any of his songs to rhcp even though anthony keidis has asked him to on many occasions. he thinks they are too personal for him to submit to the band

Dude, he wrote about 80% of Stadium Arcadium. But yeah, he saves a ton of songs for his solo work.
Quote by Josh Shiells

I'd like to look at this and say

Ronnie Dio
Quote by koslack
Dude, he wrote about 80% of Stadium Arcadium. But yeah, he saves a ton of songs for his solo work.

not the lyrics he just wrote the melodies and stuff if im not mistaking but i could be wrong
it's fine.

in my band it's like that, except im the drummer, but apart from that, i'm virtually in the same position as you. Just ask them before you start it up if their cool with it, the last thing you want is your band to boot you because of this, which may even lead nowhere, and may be only happening because you feel the need to be creative.