Explain you criteria on how you rate albums, how you see the difference between good and bad ones.

For me a good album contains a lot of songs that are pleasurable for multiple listening.
When more than half of the setlist is listenable, I call it outstanding.
For example, Journeyman by eric Clapton was an okay album because it basically contained one song, Bad Love, that I though was one of the greatest songs, but the rest was boring so it was a bad album.
But when I listened to How the West Was Won, Led Zeppelin's live album, I put the entire album in the playlist because I loved every song, so that would be a perfect album.
Last edited by radomu at Jan 5, 2009,
When I dont have to skip a song.

Slayer - Show No Mercy is a prime example.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I love ham, I'm gay!!!

Buy fresh sliced deli ham and stop being a bitch. Also, never microwave ham ever, it's in strict violation of ham law.
Last edited by Daydream_Goo at Jan 5, 2009,
A good album is an album in which all of the songs are good, or maybe one or at most 2 bad songs. Guy above me nailed it - when you don't have to skip.

One fantastic song doesn't redeem an entire album, although that will get thrown into my giant playlist of good songs.
Best albums are where all the songs are of equal standard, but varied and they tie together sonically and have an overall vibe or theme, not necessarily a concept album but has to sound like a complete work of a live band.
Depends on the genre.

Sound quality is a big thing for me, but some genres do better with lower quality production, like black metal, shoegaze, etc.

But, overall:

Structure
Overall sound
Fluidity between songs
Structure of each song
Individual feeling song by song

Or something similar.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Daydream_Goo
When I dont have to skip a song.

Same here. It's quite rare I find an album I'll listen to the whole way through.
If I don't skip over songs, and I really like it when one song leads into another. Also, I really dig concept albums.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
The first thing I think of is the number of good songs on the album. If I like more than half of the songs, then I'll deem it a good album. Diversity is a factor too, if the songs all sound the same in one respect or the other (i.e. all same tempo, same "vibe" etc.), then the album will be boring. Also if its produced well and equally.

Someone else said something about cohesive songs, but not necessarily a concept album. That too.
Quote by imdeth
Same here. It's quite rare I find an album I'll listen to the whole way through.

I know what you mean, they are getting less and less nowadays
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
System of a Down, Electric Ladyland, the world-record holding Dark Side of the Moon, and Still Got the Blues.
the songs have to be arranged really well, they have to be catchy and singalongable (pure screaming=no) and they have to have a lot of talented playing in them.

A few favorites
Pantera-Cowboys from hell
Dream Theater- Systematic Chaos
Avenged Sevenfold-City of Evil
Usually the flow of the album is big for me. Then you got sound quality, overall song structure, and whether it just plain ole' sounds good.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
I would also prefer it if the album is varied in it's songs.
The major example would be a varied guitar tone or a musical style, so I love multi-genre bands like Led Zeppelin or Cream.
I could not stand listening to any AC/DC as an album because the entire album has the same guitar tone and they do sound too similar.
Quote by Tehzekester
When I don't have to skip a song while listening to it, or get bored in the middle of a song.

I don't think I could find an album like that, besides a couple, in my 3000 song playlist.
I guess I don't have the patience.
Carcass Heartwork
Dark side of the moon
Dj shadow endtroducing
glassjaw worship and tribune
morbid angel domination
alice in chains jar of flies
megadeth peace sells and countdown
miles davis kind of blue
john coltrane love supreme
- Variety of style
- Thoughtful track arrangements
- No album fillers
- The music itself

Also, my favorite albums all have a rotational effect on me. I may start with a few tracks as favorites, but as I listen to the album more I pick up on the charm of other pieces that I previously didn't pay as much attention to.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Metal-X
Usually the flow of the album is big for me. Then you got sound quality, overall song structure, and whether it just plain ole' sounds good.

IT'S METAL-X!!!

Wow, I haven't saw you in forever.

Anyway, same here, basically,
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Xiaoxi
- Variety of style
- Thoughtful track arrangements
- No album fillers
- The music itself

Also, my favorite albums all have a rotational effect on me. I may start with a few tracks as favorites, but as I listen to the album more I pick up on the charm of other pieces that I previously didn't pay as much attention to.

Everything you said there is so true, I start to appreciate an album when I listen to it seriously.

Carcass Heartwork
Dark side of the moon
Dj shadow endtroducing
glassjaw worship and tribune
morbid angel domination
alice in chains jar of flies
megadeth peace sells and countdown
miles davis kind of blue
john coltrane love supreme

Interestingly I could only name dark side of the moon from your list. the rest is unknown to me