Alright, I've finally managed to cobble together a band. The guitarist/vocalist is a bit of a shredder, which is a good offset to my bluesy style of playing, but at the same time it means we're playing metal now. I'm fine with that (I may prefer Blues and Classic Rock, but I can dig a lot of Metal), but I don't want to have to switch from my strat(my favourite and preferred guitar) to my HH PRS copy for every metal song we do. I'm not looking to have it go all the way to downtuned nu-metal stuff, I'm just looking for stuff as heavy as Iron Maiden out of my strat since Adrian Smith uses a strat, as do IM's other guitarists. Other stuff I'm fine with a switch on.

So, if I got a DS-1, could I use it to push single-coils to metal? And if not, if you have anything that can, could you link it?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
your not gona get a very good metal tone with that amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
You'd probably get a similar sound by setting your blues junior into a bit of OD, the turning on your big muff with a medium gain setting...

In other words, it'll sound like ****, but it'll pass for metal as long as your vocalist has decent tone.
Yes you can get a metal tone but it might not sound very good
I leik music
Yes, your amp will need changing right off the bat if you're going to play metal.

As far as single coils go, single coils can be used to play metal but you have to be careful otherwise two things can happen:
1) lots of background noise and hum
2) your tone will be like an ice pick tot he brain of anyone who hears it.

You can certainly get single coil pickups that are more suited to metal (actives, single coil sized humbuckers, noiseless, etc), but even then it's dodgy ground.

And the DS-1 is not a good pedal, and can't produce a good metal tone no matter what guitar and amp you're using. It's fine to use as a basic boost but nothing more.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Hmm...well, is there anything I could do to/with my current amp for a more metal tone? I don't need a solo tone, I'm likely to be playing rhythm on the metal stuff. I could also pull out my old SS amp and crank the gain. It's crap, but it's more metal-y.

you will need a new amp
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
...Which I can't afford. The most I can spend right now is $200, and even then I'll be kicking myself, as my computer is slowly dying and I need a new one. ><

Quote by chea_man
you will need a new amp

Not necessarily. He want's to play stuff like Iron Maiden, which isn't that heavy
I leik music
get a metal muff

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Hmm...alright, would this work?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Nano-Pocket-Metal-Muff-Distortion-?sku=150099

I know I'm reaching to the bottom of the barrel, but like I said, my computers dying, so I need cash on-hand to replace it once it finally goes, and really I only need this for about a third of our set, the rest I can do with my USSR Muff and TS9DX. Plus I had good experiences with my first dist. pedal, a regular, $40 Nano Muff. And as long as I've mentioned that, just in case for my cheapness, could I use that for metal?

Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...alright, would this work?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Nano-Pocket-Metal-Muff-Distortion-?sku=150099

I know I'm reaching to the bottom of the barrel, but like I said, my computers dying, so I need cash on-hand to replace it once it finally goes, and really I only need this for about a third of our set, the rest I can do with my USSR Muff and TS9DX. Plus I had good experiences with my first dist. pedal, a regular, $40 Nano Muff. And as long as I've mentioned that, just in case for my cheapness, could I use that for metal?

I think it would, but if I were you I'd rather buy the Micro Metal Muff (if you don't want to spend a lot of money): http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Micro-Metal-Muff-Distortion-Pedal?sku=150128

It's only 10$ more than the Nano Pocket Metal Muff, and at least it's got a tone knob and top boost.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Yeah I'd spend that extra 10 bucks and get that pedal.

/Useless comment.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
just whack that ds1 thru your amp and get a single coil sized humbucker at the bridge. you can get em on ebay quite cheap.

true your amp isnt ideal for metal, but thats what the distortion pedal is for. try a metal muff if the ds1 aint brootal enuff 4 ya ;-)

give it a go :-)
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Vox Satchurator can get some metalish tones. I was rather impressed at what it did to the Blues Jr. I was playing it through. I was using humbuckers though.
Quote by Benjibum

Or in Final Fantasy terms, think of him as always casting Reflect on himself. The only way to hurt him is to cast Reflect on yourself and bounce Firaga off yourself.

What a load of rubbish. Just punch him in the ****ing shins.
Quote by hippyheaven1
just whack that ds1 thru your amp and get a single coil sized humbucker at the bridge. you can get em on ebay quite cheap.

true your amp isnt ideal for metal, but thats what the distortion pedal is for. try a metal muff if the ds1 aint brootal enuff 4 ya ;-)

give it a go :-)

the distortion pedal isnt "brootal enuff" for metal either

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
the distortion pedal isnt "brootal enuff" for metal either

i beg to differ personally... i own one and its plenty heavy enough for iron maiden tones
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
The DS-1 should get you into Maiden territory imo...especially if you aren't playing lead...but for anything heavier I would go with the metal muff.
Quote by MrFlibble
Yes, your amp will need changing right off the bat if you're going to play metal.

As far as single coils go, single coils can be used to play metal but you have to be careful otherwise two things can happen:
1) lots of background noise and hum
2) your tone will be like an ice pick tot he brain of anyone who hears it.

You can certainly get single coil pickups that are more suited to metal (actives, single coil sized humbuckers, noiseless, etc), but even then it's dodgy ground.

And the DS-1 is not a good pedal, and can't produce a good metal tone no matter what guitar and amp you're using. It's fine to use as a basic boost but nothing more.

Those 2 statements kinda contradict each other.

If you were using something like a Laney LC30 (just as an example, i haven't tried this), which is a modern-voiced amp, it wouldn't do metal on its own. Kick in the DS-1 as a boost, and it could probably work. I just don't think it'll work with a blues junior.

although i agree about ice pick. Usually, DS-1 + single coils + high volume = Ice picky horrible shrill tone. Unless you roll back the tone on the pedal a lot.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
it'll be distorted for sure. how good will it be for metal? who knows..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.

Necro? Metal??

Anyway, my friend uses some sort of fender amp similar to yours, and he just uses a metal muff.

But he also has EMGs. But still. Metal muff would do wonders. And it's ALMOST a necessity to use humbuckers. Sorry. =/
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
http://www.myspace.com/ilovepuppies36459

that's my old band's myspace. our lead guitarist refused to use any guitar except for his tele when we recorded, and didn't want to bother with an amp. the guitar you hear is a squier tele into a ds-1 straight into an interface.

p.s.
the second song on there is a rap song i made in school. check it out!

p.p.s.
i'm not singing in the recordings.
Last edited by SlappyMcLardfat at Jan 8, 2009,