i have been noticing a crackling sound in my amp for the past few days, but i thought that it was maybe just a cable or something. then today as i was playing my volume suddenly decreases until it isnt audible and one of my power tubes lit up a bright white color. needless to say, i quickly turned the amp off.

do i just change the two power tubes in this situation?

thanks in advance
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
yes , order from the tubestore.com , tell them what type of amp you have and they should pre bias and match them for free.
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
They can't "pre bias" the tubes for you.
Depending on the type of amp, you'll have to bias it when changing the power tubes.
Quote by Roc8995
Depending on the type of amp, you'll have to bias it when changing the power tubes.

yes i have a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 with 6l6s
i have already bought the groove tubes and i believe that the amp is self biasing

i just havent changed power tubes before and im kind of scared
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
You already bought Groove Tubes?

The Mesa Express is a fixed bias amp - meaning it has a resistor for the bias - Mesa uses a fixed resistor value, btw, instead of a pot or trimpot, meaning it can't be adjusted, not that it doesn't need be adjusted.

You should've bought tubes from thetubestore.com or tubedepot.com, and told them it was for a Mesa Express, they would given you tubes of the proper grade that will work well within that bias point.
You should be okay, because IIRC, Mesa amps are biased kind of cold, so most tubes in the "normal" range, should fall within its range. However, Groove Tubes just suck - and cost just as much as the good tubes.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jan 5, 2009,
GT = fail , they are just ****ing sovteks rebranded

Quote by Roc8995

Quote by forsaknazrael
they would given you tubes of the proper grade that will work well within that bias point.

It was late, that is what I mean't.
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
Last edited by isan at Jan 5, 2009,
This is why I think tubes amps r a waste of money... Constantly replacing tubes .....
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
Quote by BackDoorEntry
This is why I think tubes amps r a waste of money... Constantly replacing tubes .....

A fair opinion.
I personally like to have a nice sound, as opposed to sounding like regurgitated shit in a trashcan.

Isan, how come you don't like Groove?
Quote by BackDoorEntry

Are you ACTUALLY serious?

How much difference do tubes make to tone?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by BackDoorEntry

That's why I hate SS. They malfunction, and unlike the simplicity of a tube amp, they are too pricey to repair in most of the cases, not to mention the majority have a tone in the same league as Lars' St. Anger Snare. Gtfo.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by Retro Rocker
A fair opinion.
I personally like to have a nice sound, as opposed to sounding like regurgitated shit in a trashcan.

Isan, how come you don't like Groove?

They are overpriced sovteks , not terrible tubes , but 1.5x the price.
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
i just stuck the tubes in and they sound great
thanks for the help

I'm actually kind of liking the sound of these Groove Tubes in comparison with the original Mesa/Boogie Tubes that the amp came with

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
Quote by RR787
That's why I hate SS. They malfunction, and unlike the simplicity of a tube amp, they are too pricey to repair in most of the cases, not to mention the majority have a tone in the same league as Lars' St. Anger Snare. Gtfo.

haha
i agree
its definitely worth changing them once a year for the tone you get

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
Quote by Vlasco
It's once a year for most people; that's hardly constantly.

Not even that often.
Quote by BackDoorEntry

Not really. Preamp tubes can last for years and years. Power tubes are good for around 2, at least.
And that's for the gigging musician who practices often.
Quote by Ismail93
i just stuck the tubes in and they sound great
thanks for the help

I'm actually kind of liking the sound of these Groove Tubes in comparison with the original Mesa/Boogie Tubes that the amp came with

They're pretty much the same - both are rebranded Sovteks.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Not even that often.

Not really. Preamp tubes can last for years and years. Power tubes are good for around 2, at least.

They're pretty much the same - both are rebranded Sovteks.

class a's can eat the **** out of tubes
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
My crate palomino (from what i understand a ac30 imitator) eats them alive. Pre amp tubes have to be replaced 1 once a year or so too.
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
^Not really an AC30 imitator. Yours isn't Class A, btw. Most tubes with higher wattage are Class A/B.

And how do you know you need to replace yours that often? I have 3-5 hour long band practices twice a week where we crank it to deafening levels of volumes to get over my beastly drummer...I haven't replaced my tubes in over a year.
Preamp starts making subtle but annoying as **** noises , and power tube wise the amp will reach out and stab you in the ear often. both are resolved when said tubes are replaced.
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
not to jack this thread, but i need new power tubes too. what should i get for high gain in my b-52?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
ok cool. also is there anyway to tell which tube is out or should i just get however many it is i need?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by RR787

unecessary...

And i never change anything on a solid state, a solid state has never broken down on me!

My friend replaces his tubes every 2-4months, and he doesnt gig that much? Is it only the more expensive tube amps that need replacing every two years?
Quote by hell_monkey
your freinds = idiot/or has a ****ed up amp
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
Quote by BackDoorEntry

your not contstantly replacing tubes, it takes years for a brand new tube to die
even if you play quite a bit
Quote by BackDoorEntry
unecessary...

And i never change anything on a solid state, a solid state has never broken down on me!

My friend replaces his tubes every 2-4months, and he doesnt gig that much? Is it only the more expensive tube amps that need replacing every two years?

your friend has no idea what the hell he is doing.
Quote by seizetheday1103
ok cool. also is there anyway to tell which tube is out or should i just get however many it is i need?

wait do you mean like just replace the tube that died?(if they havnt all died)
i dont think i would, but i havnt had to change my tubes yet.
isnt it sort of like breaking your g string and just replacing that one string?
Quote by BackDoorEntry

That's unnecessary. Don't know why he's doing that, mine has been fine for over a year, and I can guarantee I clock in more time and crank it up more with my amp.
Quote by forsaknazrael
That's unnecessary. Don't know why he's doing that, mine has been fine for over a year, and I can guarantee I clock in more time and crank it up more with my amp.

oh, it seems ive been heavily misinformed
Sorry about my original comment.

EDIT:
I was going to go for the vypyr 30, if anyone can reccomend a tube amp around that price that would be greatt
Quote by hell_monkey
Last edited by BackDoorEntry at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by stratdud39
wait do you mean like just replace the tube that died?(if they havnt all died)
i dont think i would, but i havnt had to change my tubes yet.
isnt it sort of like breaking your g string and just replacing that one string?

well i have the same "symptoms" as this kid who started this thread but i dont wanna go buy a bunch of new tubes if i can tell which 1 is dying or dead

is there a way to tell which 1 isnt working correctly?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
i know my amp needs 6l6 tubes and a 12AX7 but what do you reccommend i get? i need durable tubes fro high gain metal
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Last edited by seizetheday1103 at Jan 7, 2009,