The first 3 frets of my new guitar is killing me...The intonation is is way out. I know that all guitars have this problem but how do you adjust it to lessen it?
Umm... what guitar is it? that really shouldn't be happening.

also, is it going sharp? or flat?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Does the intonation get worse as you get to the higher frets? Your problem sounds a little unusual. Not all acoustics have bad intonation either.
Quote by captivate
Umm... what guitar is it? that really shouldn't be happening.

also, is it going sharp? or flat?

i have a takamine eg340sc. The problem is that if i tune all the open strings currectly, when I play an A chord, the B string sounds sharp...and if I tune it flat, the D chord will then sound like crap.
are you pressing too hard? and are you pressing in the right place?

Since your takamine should have electronics, try plugging it into the tuner when tuning.

Other than that, there aren't many factors I can think of that would drastically change intonation in those frets. If it were farther up the fretboard then it would be understandable, but within the first 3 frets...? I dunno.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
This happened on my Taylor once, but only on the third fret. I took it to a shop, he turn the truss rod a bit, and it's not given me any trouble since.
It sounds to me like the nut of your guitar is wonky. If the strings are riding too high in the nut slots, when you fret those open chords, you're in essence bending the strings too far and causing them to go sharper than they need to be.
The problem I have with your description is that you say the notes "sound" sharp or they "sound like crap". Have you actually measured those off sounding notes to double check if they truely are out of range? Also, your tuning. How are you tuning the guitar? Are you sure you are tuning accurately?
Quote by LeftyDave
It sounds to me like the nut of your guitar is wonky. If the strings are riding too high in the nut slots, when you fret those open chords, you're in essence bending the strings too far and causing them to go sharper than they need to be.
The problem I have with your description is that you say the notes "sound" sharp or they "sound like crap". Have you actually measured those off sounding notes to double check if they truely are out of range? Also, your tuning. How are you tuning the guitar? Are you sure you are tuning accurately?

im tuning using the built in tuner so its pretty accurate. The problem is basically the B string tend to be a bit sharp. For example if I play an A major, or a B major(x2444x), the B string sounds a bit sharp. But if I detune it so the Amajor sound good, it will sound flat when I play D major(xx0232)
yeah, it is either a fret or nut problem, take it to a shop. For either of those things a fix won't cost much at all.