I've always wondered when you have a crap amp in general but it has a decent EQ system with mid, bass, treble, etc. If the distortion is crap, as long as you can supplement your own distortion pedal could it be worth it if the cleans aren't that much of a deal to you or the cleans are decent.

Reading all the amp suggestion threads I've always wondered this cause that's what I do with my 10watt Laney amp, it's built-in distortion is horrendous but the cleans are decent, so I got the Keeley BOSS DS-1 and now it sounds quite heavenly.

Basically this just came up to mind when I'm reading those amp threads and people say, "Oh, the distortion is horrible in the amp!"
Then getting a stand alone distortion pedal would work would it?
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
Yup, that's what i did when i only had my Fender Frontman 15G.

The drive channel is horrible and full of noise when you crank the gain, so i got a Boss OD-3 Overdrive (for warm, powerful, smooth and noiseless Overdrive) and a Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion (for agressive distortion).

I share your opinion.
If an amp has a nice clean channel, you can complement it with effects pedals.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
It can work. Very well, in fact, if you do it right.

But many people - including myself - have an aversion toward processing one's tone more than they absolutely have to.
Actually you are pretty right. A setup like that could work pretty well for home practice. Gigging with it would be less fantastic but if you're gigging you probably have a good amp anyways.
You could always just buy a good amp the first time and not have to spend money on pedals to make it sound decent...
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
I'm a pedal freak, so I'd stick a whole load of pedals even if my amp had a good distortion. But that's me.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by grobbo91
You could always just buy a good amp the first time and not have to spend money on pedals to make it sound decent...

Most beginners have no idea if they're going to stick with the guitar, especially if they're young and their parents bought their gear. No sense in buying gear for a younger person if they're just going to let it sit and collect dust.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by grobbo91

This.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by grobbo91

True, but I did buy my Laney LG12 when I knew nothing about tone. (complete electric guitar newb)
So instead of buying say, a new $300 Roland Cube for tone upgrades. I'd settle for this $100 Distortion pedal. During gigs I just borrow the other band's amp, so I'm sorted out heh.

Plus I like the option of turning distortion on and off at will (major factor) :P
Such a hassle pausing and pushing the button to turn the distortion on and off, I know some amps have footswitches and such, but I think those options are only available for more expensive amps from what I've seen.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
You can't really make a **** amp sound better with pedals. You need a decent amp to make the pedals sound good. Crappy amps usually don't take pedals well.