Hey what's up? I've been playing guitar for like 3 years on and off, and just this christmas I got my first electric guitar. It's a Schecter Omen 6 series, along with a Roland Cube 30x Amp.

So, here's my problem, whenever i pick either of the first 3 strings simultaneously, on any fret, it produces like a weird sound.

Lemme give you an example:
I'm playing Sweet Child O' Mine's intro. When I get to the final part that goes:
|----15-------14-------|
|------------------------|
|---------14-------14--|

I leave my finger on the 3rd string, and the one I move is the one on the first string. Thus I let the 3rd string "ring" as you guys say. So when I play the last two notes, both strings Ring. When this happens, a strange sound comes from my amp. Like a brrrrr sound or something.
What I'm asking myself:
Is this normal?
Is it my guitar/amp?
How can I fix this?

Sorry if you don't undertand what I'm saying. If you want, I'll record the sound and upload it for you.
Thanks.
Last edited by Flipd9 at Jan 5, 2009,
Fret buzz?

OR

You have your trebble set to high. I was aslo trying to play the intro of this song yesterday, and I also had this problem. I turned down my treble and this solved the problem.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

its kinda like when you tune your guitar listening to the "wave". im pretty sure its bc they aren't supposed to ring out together. kinda like a power chord.

when you play it

|----5--------- it sounds good but if you miss finger it like this
|----3---------

|----4------------ it sounds bad.
|----3---------
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
you gotta roll your finger off of the note kinda its hard to explain look it up on youtube but that is how u play the intro to scom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rCXoZl_0xg

thats me playing it i think u can kinda tell how i roll my finger on and off the note
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
Death metal (sounds amazing through bass amp)
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by donwuzhere69
you gotta roll your finger off of the note kinda its hard to explain look it up on youtube but that is how u play the intro to scom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rCXoZl_0xg

thats me playing it i think u can kinda tell how i roll my finger on and off the note

Yes.

[Borat]

Great Sucess!!!

{/Borat}
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Thementor, I tried lowering the treble, didn't work.

And Black Label, It happens on any frets. Even if I hit them open it sounds like that.
I'll record the sound tomorrow, it's too late now.

EDIT:
Don, so I have to like not let them ring together?
Last edited by Flipd9 at Jan 5, 2009,
yea dont let em ring together
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Quote by Flipd9

And Black Label, It happens on any frets. Even if I hit them open it sounds like that.

EDIT:

yea it takes some practice but theyre gonna make that buzzing noise if they ring together, so if u can play each note individually, which on the intro is easiest by rolling your finger on and off the 14 on the g string, then itll sound better
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
Death metal (sounds amazing through bass amp)
ibanez weeping demon
There will always be resonances, it's just physics. The key here is to learn to mute the unwanted strings.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Oh thanks a lot guys. I was starting to feel like it was my guitar or something.

I'll learn to not let em ring together. Thanks
It's your amp On a great amp like the jcm800 slash used, the A+G going into the A+F# makes the amp roar in a very pleasing way. It's all about the amps string seperational abilities. Try for instance to turn on your amp with the same gain level as when you play sweet child. Fret a normal G barre chord and pick one string at a time, letting the previous notes ring and listen. The low E A and D string sound great right? but as soon as you get to the G string you get into trouble. Thats because an amp with poor string seperational ability will not take too kindly to the 3rd being thrown in the mix as it technically upsets the frequency you have in the 1+5 powerchord. Same thing in the last part of the sweet child theme you tabbed above. You have the G being the 1st degree first sounded with an A which is the 2nd degree in G major, then you have the A with the 7th degree namely the F#. now when these three notes are sounded at once you run into trouble just like in the G triad chord.
But a great amp like the jcm800 will take quite kindly to these frequency "instabilities" and roar in a very pleasant way For now just play them one at a time, but when you someday look at a new amp, this is imo a great test for the amps cababiliteis. Afterall it is more fun to be able to play some complex crazy chords with overdrive, rather than having to stick with powerchords for all overdriven purposes
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Last edited by chrisdam at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by chrisdam
It's your amp On a great amp like the jcm800 slash used, the A+G going into the A+F# makes the amp roar in a very pleasing way. It's all about the amps string seperational abilities. Try for instance to turn on your amp with the same gain level as when you play sweet child. Fret a normal G barre chord and pick one string at a time, letting the previous notes ring and listen. The low E A and D string sound great right? but as soon as you get to the G string you get into trouble. Thats because an amp with poor string seperational ability will not take too kindly to the 3rd being thrown in the mix as it technically upsets the frequency you have in the 1+5 powerchord. Same thing in the last part of the sweet child theme you tabbed above. You have the G being the 1st degree first sounded with an A which is the 2nd degree in G major, then you have the A with the 7th degree namely the F#. now when these three notes are sounded at once you run into trouble just like in the G triad chord.
But a great amp like the jcm800 will take quite kindly to these frequency "instabilities" and roar in a very pleasant way For now just play them one at a time, but when you someday look at a new amp, this is imo a great test for the amps cababiliteis. Afterall it is more fun to be able to play some complex crazy chords with overdrive, rather than having to stick with powerchords for all overdriven purposes

Thanks for the educational lesson. I thought more complex chords were just incompatible with overdrive. I will definitely keep this in mind during the testing phase when I buy a better amp.
Quote by Flipd9

EDIT:

you say "them" even doing that will cause what i explain. play a normal power chord. if it still does it then im wrong and i have no idea what im talking about
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Quote by Monsterhog
Thanks for the educational lesson. I thought more complex chords were just incompatible with overdrive. I will definitely keep this in mind during the testing phase when I buy a better amp.

Good luck
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla