Well I was watching Metallica Cliff 'em all today, I was curios as to what guitars that Tallica played way back in the day before all the endorsements and other shiz people rip on them for.

Well anyway, I was admiring some of James old Instruments whilst watching Cliff solo on his bass.

Well What Caught my eye is right when James walked off stage after calling everyone in the audience "fags" It looked like his Explorer was a bolt on.

I was alittle surprised. Since I've been searching around for cheap gibson copies. Idk why, But I love Copy V's Like the old harmony ones.

Anyway I forgot about it later on and began surfing the net thinking nothing of Cliff em all and found some interesting pictures.

Well for awhile I've been wondering "what happened to all those old guitars?".

I read somewhere that James old V broke.

In reality, by accident I found it. Well It wasn't broken. Infact, it may still be playable.

I was outraged what I saw though. Some guitar shop had the chance to work on this legendary V.

And they could cared less about it!

What really shocked me was that his V wasn't a gibson like every one says around the net. It was a bolt on Copy.

Even more, I expected to see the old beast on a stand or a case or something... Nope.. They layed it on the assfault, took pictures and then said "to hell with it"

I'm not a real big tallica fan, infact I rip on them hard at school, while wearing a master of puppets shirt (I forget I have it on)

Well anyway, This V has seen alought of abuse, most sertantly from The days of "Dangerous Dave" when they where known as "Alcoholica" and even to this day it seems thats its neglected.

I would really like to have this guitar, even If I don't like metallica Or what they have become.

Here are some pictures, This thing has been lost for along time and these will probaley be some of the last pictures you'll see of it

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_W6NlKeWLST8/R65BYtiR2hI/AAAAAAAAACM/K4E4lxKlvbY/s1600-h/DSC04511+copy.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_W6NlKeWLST8/R65BZNiR2iI/AAAAAAAAACU/1gWhpnIIJgU/s1600-h/DSC04507+copy.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_W6NlKeWLST8/R65BZNiR2jI/AAAAAAAAACc/lSp4634U12s/s1600-h/DSC04512+copy.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_W6NlKeWLST8/R65BZdiR2kI/AAAAAAAAACk/poyZ6uHXgMg/s1600-h/DSC04513+copy.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_W6NlKeWLST8/R65BbtiR2lI/AAAAAAAAACs/EqEc_7DaAc4/s1600-h/DSC04514+copy.jpg

Rest in piece my friend, you did good.... I guess time was as cruel too you as it was for the rest of us...
Washburn Dimebag Camo V>Digitech deathmetal distortion>Peaveyhotfoot distortion>Digitech Turbo stereo flange>Peavey Companded chorus>Peavey stereo Effect Processor DEP-16 (all on my peavey Peavey pfc-5 pedal board)
theres a whole article on that guitar in guitar world december 08 issue, and james is on the cover with the guitar...its still his. I think he even jammed on it for death magnetic if I remember the interview correctly...

When He bought it he thought it was a gibson...but james aint to bright heh.
Last edited by epptron at Jan 5, 2009,
Have you watched some kinda monster?? I dont think they get rid of their guitars...they have a room full of crates that are stocked full of guitars, its almost ridiculous, actually it is lol...its like yngwie with his strats, check out guitar world video of the tour of his studio and there is literally like 100 laying on the floor on top of eachother, rock and roll!!
thats pretty damn sad that guitar is like a legend it should be at a hard rock hang in up on a wall like all the other great guitars
Yup..checked the article, "James Hetfield returns to his roots,picks up his original flying V and vows once again to kill em all."
The photo on the first one looks like a different guitar than what is shown. . .
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
The photo on the first one looks like a different guitar than what is shown. . .

Hmmm you have a point there...

James dose fiddel with guitars alought... when hes not playing them, talking about them, reading about them looking at them and imagining them..

James is still notorious for alerting his guitars, like welding **** on them or putting random stickers all over them.

That and if this is that very guitar its like over 25 years old. I'm sure it was changed alought or modded frequently.
Washburn Dimebag Camo V>Digitech deathmetal distortion>Peaveyhotfoot distortion>Digitech Turbo stereo flange>Peavey Companded chorus>Peavey stereo Effect Processor DEP-16 (all on my peavey Peavey pfc-5 pedal board)
If it's fake; Nice story. Where are the pics from?

If it's real; Damn...save that thing man, I may not be a metal guy, but even I can't stand to see such a great guitar treated like crap like that. Get that thing and have a pro fix er' up.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
U think?? Really!?

Like I said, he still has it..that is a pick of it. Its the same one he's holding in dec'08 GW. It now has EMG's just like the one in the posted pics...

yea unless its a original that ones a fake, or like done by the guy who does the fender replica models, still a dope guitar
Last edited by epptron at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by epptron
U think?? Really!?

Like I said, he still has it..that is a pick of it. Its the same one he's holding in dec'08 GW. It now has EMG's just like the one in the posted pics...

yea unless its a original that ones a fake, or like done by the guy who does the fender replica models, still a dope guitar

Thats what i explaining to that one guy ahhh! Don't kill me D:

Anyway, I've been searching around, I would realy like to see some of kirks (I Hate kirk so much) old V's that he had once gotten snagged by fans at a show when he dangled it over his back and someone grabbed his guitar strap. It had duct tape all over it for some reason.
Quote by jimithrash
ive got cliff em all, where does james call the audience fags? cheers

I have the old vhs, the first run that didn't get edited.

James is known for calling his fans "fags and sluts" for laughs. That and flipping them off on big screens with kirk jumping out of no where trying to get in the shot too :P

They cam ***** alought
Quote by wyattfilms

James is known for calling his fans "fags and sluts" for laughs. That and flipping them off on big screens with kirk jumping out of no where trying to get in the shot too :P

They cam ***** alought

oh dang lucky you, i have the dvd .. which is prob edited
Oh

my

god.

I'm not a die-hard Metallica fan, i like to listen to them (even the "St. Anger" album), but i have other bands i like more.
Hell, i don't even like Flying V's!!!

But i really would like to have this guitar, and i'd treasure it!
There are people in this world who really don't have a clue.

Damn, now THIS is sad... This guitar should be at a Hard Rock Cafe, for example...

R.I.P., James' old Flying V...
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
btw james has the orginal one and iss till touring with it its in guitar world december issue ( i think december)

this is just maybe a replica
I've looked around for pictures to compare the 2 v's (which may be the same after all)

Take a look at the one we have here, the neglected looking V

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_W6NlKeWLST8/R65BZNiR2iI/AAAAAAAAACU/1gWhpnIIJgU/s1600-h/DSC04507+copy.jpg

Note the paint chippings on the edges

Alright now look at this pic, you can kinda see where the edges on james v are getting alittle chipped along with the heastocks paint changing color.

http://images.quizfarm.com/1127545437hetfield.jpg

Now lets go forward alittle while. Heres a much closer shot of him with his V
Hmmm compare some of the chips near the scratch plate. They are very close to the ones on the one I believe may be his.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/1038/james1gy8.jpg

People are saying "This guitars different"
Well james messes with his guitars alought, go look up at the pictures of the old V.
You can see where the tunners where changed out at one time.

James did right stuff like "Eat fuk" and "Pisstallica" on much of his equipment.

It wouldn't surprise me for a second if thats his old v.

Infact look at the back where all the paint and most of the words worn off.

He wore amunition belts on performances, they could have easly damaged the finish like that.

And as I just read, His V was not a gibson.

"This is not a real Gibson though it was treated by James as a Gibson. James had taken a truss-rod cover off of a Gibson and placed it on his to make it appear to be a "real" Gibson." -I thought the same thing lol

It even talks about him replacing the pickups later on. and within oh say... 25 years im sure they had to be replaced once more and maybe he had to change the pick guard out with a new one too.
Quote by Horlicks
Couldn't care less.

Thanks a lot. Thanks mostly for contributing so much to this thread.

In one of the meet and greet vids where James was asked about his old V, he said that he still had it, but it was too beat up to use. He used a white V on Death Magnetic, but its new, and is an ESP.
Quote by epptron
theres a whole article on that guitar in guitar world december 08 issue, and james is on the cover with the guitar...its still his. I think he even jammed on it for death magnetic if I remember the interview correctly...

When He bought it he thought it was a gibson...but james aint to bright heh.

He was prolly drunk.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
Quote by wyattfilms

They cam ***** alought
are you trying to spell alot?

anyways tallica just isnt the same anymore. i still like them, but nearly as much as i used to before all their newer albums.

that thing looks like alot of work. but those pick ups look newer so it might actually be worth to buy. idk its your call. how much r they tryin to sell it for?