im just wondering how famous do i have to be to be able to play music and get by without a part time job

get by i mean not barely survive...i mean get by pretty decent but not THAT THAT rich

cuz i know making it big for a musician is hhhhard
Depends, where are you to? Its easier in most of the States i expect than over here in the UK. How far can you travel/commit to make a living from it.
Kaya Scodelario... Wow

GEAR:
Air
Purple Tortex Jazz Picks
Whenever your band is signed by a recognized Record Label, then you're pretty much set to go.
Quote by GenderConfusedJ
Depends, where are you to? Its easier in most of the States i expect than over here in the UK. How far can you travel/commit to make a living from it.

im in asian
Quote by ovvyiljs
Whenever your band is signed by a recognized Record Label, then you're pretty much set to go.

No, not really. I imagine they'll give you a pretty big advance... which you'll still have to pay back. Also, getting signed by a major label doesn't necessarily mean the general public will want to hear your music.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by ovvyiljs
Wrong, having paid back the money the label gives you up front many bands find they are broke. I know My Dying Bride survive but I prob earn as much as they do (don't know them well enough to ask how much they earn, I just see them around the pub. I'm pretty sure Mullins signs on the dole between paychecks).
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
Quote by Antimage27
im in asian

i assume you mean asia, where in asia? the eastern coast of china? asia is very big.
Yes but the for sake of the question "how famous do you have to be to get by (survive) by playing MUSIC only". When you're signed by a record label, that means you're pretty much a professional musician in which case you will create music to put food on your table. I never stated that getting signed by record label will get you millions of dollars or make you the next most famous rock band.
Quote by jimithrash
i assume you mean asia, where in asia? the eastern coast of china? asia is very big.

taiwan
You don't need to be signed or in a band to make money in music. Sessions player, teacher, producer, so many different way to make money and good money.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
You don't need to be signed or in a band to make money in music. Sessions player, teacher, producer, so many different way to make money and good money.

ya but im already in a band...
plus its just not the same
anyone who said get with a label is so wrong it's not even funny

99% of artists who sign to a major label will be poor as **** and in so much debt it's not even funny by the end of their contract. it's only the 1% like metallica, green day and so on that make any money and they make loads of it.

being in a signed band is the worst way to make money.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
anyone who said get with a label is so wrong it's not even funny

99% of artists who sign to a major label will be poor as **** and in so much debt it's not even funny by the end of their contract. it's only the 1% like metallica, green day and so on that make any money and they make loads of it.

being in a signed band is the worst way to make money.

Alternative options much?
WTLTL 2011
Well....say there's four people in your band. You could play at bars in your surrounding area...oh 4 times a week...$400 a gig is average...split up in a week that's 400 bucks. By no means at all would you be rich, but you'd survive.

I can't say I'd feel comfortable paying a mortgage with that kind of a job, but to each his own.
Martin DX1
79' Strat with original 1972 maple neck w/bullet truss / Lace Sensor Golds
93' Strat mahogany neck with Lace Sensor Silver.
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..