Page 2 of 14
Quote by DanteR*
A Place to bury strangers should be added.

I agree, their debut is awesome, The Falling Sun is one of my favourite songs at the moment.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Is the Pyramids you guys are talking about the band that made Running Through the Tracks, Forcing Motion Through Phases? I wouldn't think they're what you call shoegaze.

Basically, I'm lost. I've heard of Dinosaur Jr. and Silversun Pickups, but I've heard very little of either of them. So what really is Shoegaze, and what are some good bands?
The Pyramids I was talking was the one who just released their debut album this year on Hydra Head records.

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
if you like the silversun pickups you should try the band autolux and probably is'nt anything by my bloody valentine
+1

MBV are a direct influence to Silversun Pickups.

Saxo-Walrus

Although I'd say Loveless is better.
They're both great though.
Pyramids are more "metalgaze," heavier than a lot of shoegaze, like Jesu, Alcest, Nadja, and Trenches.
Heretoir's another good one, a lot more on the black metal side though.
I still need to hear some Nadja and Trenches.

And I always laugh when I see the word "metalgaze". duncang laughed at me the first time I used it here on UG, and he made up another genre name I'll never forget.

"Jazzical".

It gets me every time.

Saxo-Walrus

Last edited by fallenangel20 at Jan 8, 2009,
I am BEGGING people to listen to Coaltar of the Deepers.

In my eyes,

The. Best. Band. To. Ever. Exist.

The most adventurous, experimental, original, creative, talented, band I have ever heard.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
i'm really digging slowdive now. i used to be big into shoegaze, then stopped listening to it, and now i'm listening to it again. i'm starting to think that souvlaki by slowdive is as good as loveless.
Quote by fallenangel20
I still need to hear some Nadja and Trenches.

And I always laugh when I see the word "metalgaze". duncang laughed at me the first time I used it here on UG, and he made up another genre name I'll never forget.

"Jazzical".

It gets me every time.

that's what the quotes were for, it is kind of an iffy genre.
Most of it's just heavier shoegaze; I wouldn't call bands like Pyramids metal at all really.
Quote by dminishedthingy
that's what the quotes were for, it is kind of an iffy genre.
Most of it's just heavier shoegaze; I wouldn't call bands like Pyramids metal at all really.

I read it first in Decibel, so I take it as a real genre, but I don't use the term a lot.

It sounds badass, though.

"I'm starin' at you with mah Metalgaze!!!! O\ _ /O"

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by Monkeygone2hvn
would you consider bands like silversun pickups or autolux more of present day shoegaze?

i enjoy both bands but don't really know if they would qualify

well i love silversun pickups, and being a listener of my bloody valentine and ride, i do have to say they have some obvious shoegaze and dream pop influences...maybe not a 100% shoegaze sound, but it is good enough me. i look forward to their new album.
I don't know if I should mention this, due to haters (that's okay, you can have your opinions), but Coldplay has a hidden track on their new album called Chinese Sleep Chant, which is literally a shoegaze song. It has really nice chords and an amazing guitar tone. I highly suggest it to shoegazing fans...
Not usually a fan, but that was quite good.
SP are quite different. It seems that modern shoegaze has developed from the still rhythm-driven britpop influened earlier stuff into more amibent and spacey music, but SP still have a great rhythm going.
I <3 M83, favorite band right now.

How about Yo La Tengo, they have a lot of shoegaze-ness to them, at least in their album I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One.

Also, I wouldn't count them as a shoegaze band, but damn, NIN's Ghosts stuff has a bunch of ridiculously shoegaze-y textures.

EDIT: Also, Explosions in the Sky and Mogwai!
Counter Point: I go home and jerk off.
Last edited by Jonnybin123 at Jan 13, 2009,
I think if you start describing Explosions as shoegaze then the word's kind of lost its real meaning. They have some shoegaz-y influences, but their own music really isn't that I don't think.
Quote by Jonnybin123
EDIT: Also, Explosions in the Sky and Mogwai!

.....Wait, what?

No. It's not, really, at all.

Saxo-Walrus

That's true, I wrote that last night and I realized this morning that Mogwai and Explosions aren't shoegaze really, more like an offshoot of post-rock with some walls of sound.
Counter Point: I go home and jerk off.
Jesu? Shoegaze? Sounds suspicious to me... very much on the edge of the genre. More post-metal perhaps
Fight the machine.

Quote by slaveofsatan
She lives in the next town!

You must ride your family cow over there and make sweet small town love. Then make sure she isn't the town bicycle.

Ressort (Click to Help Ressort!)
Sorry for the double post but uhhhh explosions in the sky and mogwai are VERY VERY VERY post-rock, not an offshoot. They're sort of the core of the genre now that godspeed went all infinite hiatus and whatnot
Fight the machine.

Quote by slaveofsatan
She lives in the next town!

You must ride your family cow over there and make sweet small town love. Then make sure she isn't the town bicycle.

Ressort (Click to Help Ressort!)
Quote by deadspoken
Jesu? Shoegaze? Sounds suspicious to me... very much on the edge of the genre. More post-metal perhaps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96RZDup-yxE

Plus a lot of material after that, like stuff on "Pale Sketches", and "Conqueror". Yes, it's metal influenced, but it's also heavily shoegaze influenced. The atmosphere, the vocals, etc.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by deadspoken

Jesus, this thread is exactly like the post-rock thread.

post-metal post-post-rock blah blah prefixes blah
Quote by fallenangel20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96RZDup-yxE

Plus a lot of material after that, like stuff on "Pale Sketches", and "Conqueror". Yes, it's metal influenced, but it's also heavily shoegaze influenced. The atmosphere, the vocals, etc.

Jesu sound more like Slowdive than they do like any post-metal I've heard. I'd say they were shoegaze. But yeah, categorisations are a bit silly most of the time.
Yo, I've only heard of a Sonic Youth, MBV and Dinosaur jr. and Jesus and the Mary Chain on here, and I was wondering who should I listen to next.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Lush's album "Split".

A bit more dream pop than shoegaze, but it all meshes in the end.

Saxo-Walrus

some bands that deserve to be on the list,

old stuff; blind mr jones, the darkside, eternal (christian savill's pre slowdive band), house of love, kitchens of distinction, secret shine, spaceman 3

and some new stuff; airiel, astral, depreciation guild, highspire, morning after girls, the pains of being pure at heart, skywave
I demand that you add Gregor Samsa to your list. They may not be as popular as some of the others but they still have a pretty big following. http://www.myspace.com/gregorsamsamyspace

Also, I love the music but hate the term Shoegaze, it just makes no sense!
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Just a quick question, would I be able to get that Mary Chain/A Place To Bury Strangers white noise distortion sound by using my distortion pedal then using an EQ to boost the hell out of the high end? Or is there a bit more to it than that?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Thanks for the input guys

I add most thing I see on this thread and although this is not a black and white list as to what bands are shoegaze but if they are similar or in the gray for w/e reason I'll leave them on just because chances are you'll like it if you listen to Shoegaze

Play nice people!

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Oh, can't believe I forgot Amesoeurs.
Definitely worth a listen if you like Alcest.
Has black metal vocals though.
Quote by Tombe
Just a quick question, would I be able to get that Mary Chain/A Place To Bury Strangers white noise distortion sound by using my distortion pedal then using an EQ to boost the hell out of the high end? Or is there a bit more to it than that?

The best way to get that white-noise distortion (if i'm thinking of the correct sound) is to crank a distortion pedal before a wah in the toe-down position.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Just bought Just For A Day by Slowdive... wow. It's the most beautiful thing I've heard for ages.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by fallenangel20
Yeah, I consider Silversun Pickups as modern shoegaze.

I'm not sure if that's how they're saw by most, but they have undeniable shoegaze influence, and their song structures are very much like MBV and Ride.

Yeah, I think I've seen the term nugaze used. Personally, I think shoegaze is shoegaze is shoegaze. Whether it's a new or old band. I think it keeps the spirit of the genre alive and not make it sound dated.

I saw Deerhunter on the list. I've only recently discovered them. I absolutely love Weird Era and Microcastle, even though they're both different in the own right. Some great stuff there.