Ok well yesterday I had an idea. Since GG+A tends to love a good argument, howbout a deliberate thread for it?
The way this will work is that one guy will make a point then the next poster will argue against it before making their own point.

EG.
User 1: EQ pedals are important
User 2: EQ pedals are not important, amp EQ is enough (agrue point)
Everyone should always get a tube amp (new point)

Got it? Good. I'll start us off.

Point: It shouldn't matter whether new players use Spiders, MG's, or other poor amps. Playing development should be the only focus for the first couple years.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
I agree only to the extent that those are beginner amps. You should have good tone as soon as you can possibly appreciate it.

Point: TS, I'm going to steal your example. EQ pedals are in no way necessary except to function as a solo boost.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by stradivari310
I agree only to the extent that those are beginner amps. You should have good tone as soon as you can possibly appreciate it.

Point: TS, I'm going to steal your example. EQ pedals are in no way necessary except to function as a solo boost.

I disagree as EQ pedals are a very vital tool in shaping tones. Some tones can't be achieved with the stock tone controls on the amplifier.

Point: Tone is in the fingers. You sound like you no matter the gear.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I disagree as EQ pedals are a very vital tool in shaping tones. Some tones can't be achieved with the stock tone controls on the amplifier.

Agreed. Although your phrasing and style will shine through. The sound quality may not be anywhere near what is should be.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

However, the gear provides the right tone for the song you're playing. If Tony Iommi played all of his parts clean with a little reverb and a dash of chorus to pretty things up, he wouldn't be called the godfather of metal.

Point: The most guitar parts most influential on tone are the pickups.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

disagree

i like to think i have good finger tone, i love how my home rig sounds.

HOWEVER

playing a tokai SG through a cube sounded horrid, sterile, bland and generally crap. as obnoxious as it sounds im sure it wasnt just me playing badly

tone is in the fingers as long as you have a reasonable (tube amp) platform

my point: true bypass isnt all its hyped up to be, your signal will die through a large pedalboard without a decent buffer in there (boss im looking in your direction)
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by blue_strat

Point: The most guitar parts most influential on tone are the pickups.

nope. the pickups only play a small part. the amplifier contributes much much more towards ur tone.
^ Guitar parts, not of the entire signal chain, is the point.

ie pickups are more influential than body, neck and fingerboard woods; hardware; strings; scale length etc.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
disagree

i like to think i have good finger tone, i love how my home rig sounds.

HOWEVER

playing a tokai SG through a cube sounded horrid, sterile, bland and generally crap. as obnoxious as it sounds im sure it wasnt just me playing badly

tone is in the fingers as long as you have a reasonable (tube amp) platform

my point: true bypass isnt all its hyped up to be, your signal will die through a large pedalboard without a decent buffer in there (boss im looking in your direction)

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

On the topic of Boss pedals, their only decent ones are their delay, tuner, pitch-shifting, the DS-1 (yes I like it), and various old pedals. Everything else (i.e. metal zone....) is crap.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

On the topic of Boss pedals, their only decent ones are their delay, tuner, pitch-shifting, the DS-1 (yes I like it), and various old pedals. Everything else (i.e. metal zone....) is crap.

the DS-1 and SD-1 are a modder's wet dream
Quote by JLT73
Agreed. Although your phrasing and style will shine through. The sound quality may not be anywhere near what is should be.

Umm, if you argue another point, u have to leave one of your own for the person after you to argue. at least, that's how i read the first post. so i'll continue arguing this point...

I agree to some extent. If you have bad gear that doesnt sound very good, as a result, your music will not sound good. and some people may think that is because of your talent.

POINT: Um... Teaching yourself is the best method out there. If you follow a set schedule an instructor gives, you may become stuck on one thing and fall behind. With teaching yourself, you can go at your own pace, with very little pressure
Quote by Pinto111
Well thank you for your contributions to this discussion. I'm glad you kept it intelligent

,___,
[O.o] - O rly?
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬] - ya rly.
/)__)
-"--"-
Quote by paintballkid26

POINT: Um... Teaching yourself is the best method out there. If you follow a set schedule an instructor gives, you may become stuck on one thing and fall behind. With teaching yourself, you can go at your own pace, with very little pressure

Only if you have prior music experience and a general idea of how to play. I only taught myself because when I started guitar I had 7 or 8 years of violin experience behind me.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I think if you have a good amp good, and you're playing well it should sound well. I mean, if you have a fender Frontman 10w playing at a concert, it isnt gonna' sound very well.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
If you truly know how to play, and use an amplifier you can sound decent through any amp. If Satch picks up a beginner ibanez pack and starts playing, it will sound like Satch. It's in the fingers.

I think its better to gradually upgrade your equipment in small steps rather than buying a 3000 dollar rig after 2 years, as an upgrade to your fender frontman + $80 Best Buy Guitar.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
If you truly know how to play, and use an amplifier you can sound decent through any amp. If Satch picks up a beginner ibanez pack and starts playing, it will sound like Satch. It's in the fingers.

I think its better to gradually upgrade your equipment in small steps rather than buying a 3000 dollar rig after 2 years, as an upgrade to your fender frontman + $80 Best Buy Guitar.

that makes no sense

why upgrade from a frontman to a vox AD to a blues jnr when you know fine well you want a fender twin. may as well just go for it, you're losing money otherwise