Hello. I have a Peavey Transtube 112Efx and it has a problem. Well, 2summers ago I let my brother use it for band practice(he plays bass) and he said it stopped working one day. So I figured the speaker blew but I didnt get to look at it so I didnt know. Now, I got this amp back from where he had this week. And i turned it on, no lights lit up, it made a weird sound and started to smoke from the back where it looks like a head in the back. Right above the speaker. So, my house smelled like an electrical fire. So, anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?
Thanks.
you let your brother use your guitar amp as a bass amp?

STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
you let your brother use your guitar amp as a bass amp?

This was two years ago, I was stupid. I know.
Im not sure whats wrong but never play a bass through a guitar amp ever ever ever. Guitar through bass amp is fine (in fact some people prefer it) but never the other way around.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Take that mother to the doctor!

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Does anyone know whats wrong with it? I personally think the wiring system or the head or place were all the eqs control is fried.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
he could of fried something inside who knows but it would be better throwing it and buying a new amp rather than fixing it:P
IRON MAIDEN
8th Feb 2008, Melbourne, Australia

Quote by SatanicShredder
One time I shat on the floor on janitor appreciation day.

Wasn't even caught.

Certificate in Music Industry 2, 3 & 4
Quote by YByron
he could of fried something inside who knows but it would be better throwing it and buying a new amp rather than fixing it:P

Well I already have a good amp that im gonna' stick with but im wondering how much it would cost to fix it.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
yeah that was a pretty dumb idea but still, us bassists love makin some crunchy grooves. if you know anything about the wiring/tubes then you could replace them, but if you don't i say you bury the poor bastard and let it be
Quote by k_quest:
I feel like we are in Nazi Germany in this chat room
Quote by Obama FTW
Well I already have a good amp that im gonna' stick with but im wondering how much it would cost to fix it.

i wouldnt have a clue problem is dont know what is exactly wrong with it so cant say how much it would cost
IRON MAIDEN
8th Feb 2008, Melbourne, Australia

Quote by SatanicShredder
One time I shat on the floor on janitor appreciation day.

Wasn't even caught.

Certificate in Music Industry 2, 3 & 4
Quote by phasesevenfold
yeah that was a pretty dumb idea but still, us bassists love makin some crunchy grooves. if you know anything about the wiring/tubes then you could replace them, but if you don't i say you bury the poor bastard and let it be

Transtube is solid state as far as I know, maybe 1 or 2 small tubes in the pre amp. I don't know a lot about amps but I think you're speaker and your amp blew the **** out. There is a good reaon why bass amps have insanely high wattage.
I think your username is ****, and you're confusing poon and pwn, which is really sad. Go ahead and google pooner, I don't think you want to be one.

You're amp's dead, take it to a tech. It's solid state, you didn't put up any pictures of the insides. A tech will give you a quote if it's fixable, but if you decline to have it fixed (or if it can't be) he's going to charge you for the time he spent finding what the problem was. If you have another amp, let this one go
Its wasted. When SS stuff smells like smoke it will more than likely cost more to fix it than a new amp will cost. Tell your brother he has learned a valuable lesson about playing a bass thru a guitar amp as he will be buying the busted amp from you for the cost of what it will take to replace it.
New amp time.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD