i'm using a gibson les paul. 490R 498T pickups.

my primary high gain distortion goes as follows, keeley ds-1 as my primary distortion, barber LTD as a drive stacked, into a valvetronix ad30vt.

keeley ds-1 has gain dial max and the barber ltd's gain around 9 o clock or sometimes zero. i dont want to dial the gain any higher due to lots of hissing and feedback. ESP when i use single coils.

i realise that i lack sustain for legato and tapping. is it because my ds-1 does not have enough gain? i used to have enough sustain when i stacked a barber direct drive ss and the ltd. with the ddss's gain only at 12 o clock. and i'm quite sure the ds-1 has more gain than the ddss. can anyone explain to me why this is so? i cant use my ddss anymore cos i traded it off.

btw, i'm not a fan of high gain stuff so i will not do stuff like go get a ehx metal muff or a mt-2 or a mesa dual recti..
im thinking its your amp atm.

you ideally want a full tube amp

i like your last chioce, metal muff, MT-2 or a dual rec
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by blue_strat
If you want sustain, turn up the volume, not the gain.

Hey, that even rhymes.

oops i forgot to mention. BOTH THE KEELEY DS-1 AND BARBER LTD'S VOLUME IS MAXED
^ The volume of your amp. If you've got a load of maxed-out pedals going into an amp with the volume on 1 or 2, you aren't going to get as much sustain as less on the pedals and more on the amp.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
im thinking its your amp atm.

you ideally want a full tube amp

yeah i wish it was that easy man.. i'd want a tube amp obviously. but i've played on a 100w tube amp's clean channel and used the keeley ds-1 as my main drive stacked with the ltd (abit stupid i know, when u have a tube amps drive). i jammed to crazy train and once the solo started i didnt have enough sustain to tap. and i stopped the song.
just a thought whats the action on you guitar like? was you guitar always set up for the tuning you play in normaly??
IRON MAIDEN
8th Feb 2008, Melbourne, Australia

Quote by SatanicShredder
One time I shat on the floor on janitor appreciation day.

Wasn't even caught.

Certificate in Music Industry 2, 3 & 4
and also do you have you mids up or treble because if your cutting them down it may lessen the sustain
IRON MAIDEN
8th Feb 2008, Melbourne, Australia

Quote by SatanicShredder
One time I shat on the floor on janitor appreciation day.

Wasn't even caught.

Certificate in Music Industry 2, 3 & 4
aww man the 2 question u have asked.. my guitar is set up for 10s at standard tuning. and, i pump my treble and mids the most. my eq is normally set bass-3 mids-8 treble-7
It's the Vox noise reducer, for some reason it's set stupidly high default.
To turn it off or down, bypass the effect, and hold down Tap while turning the effect mix. When you've done, you can put the effect back.

It's nothing to do with volume or gain.
i think mentioned but if your action is too low, then you might be choking notes short.

also this^ except you said something about using different amps too?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The problem is your pedals if you got the exact same problem on a different amp. I don't know why you're using a DS1 on the AD30VT, the amp sounds a hell of a lot better than the pedal.

Then again it could just be your technique that needs work, or your pickups could be too high and choking your notes off a bit.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Jan 5, 2009,
dude. its a KEELEY ds-1 not the stock piece of crap. yeah a tube amp sounds better but not my vox valvetronix.

my pups are fairly low and my action is higher than normal because i play slide.
Well if you managed to get the sound you wanted with another pedal, and then this problem magically appeared when you switched to the DS1...

Just sayin'.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
The DS-1 is a great pedal. but I wouldn't recommend it for the sustain. It's a distortion unit. I don't know anything about the Barber though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
dude, after reading your first post, what he's saying makes sense.

you had the sustain, swapped pedals, everything else being equal, what else could it be in this case?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i realise that i lack sustain for legato and tapping.

btw, i'm not a fan of high gain stuff

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!