Poll Options
View poll results: ????
Yes
83 66%
No
43 34%
Voters: 126.
Page 1 of 3
A lot of guitars I see at Guitar Center have fingerprints, smudges and scratches from so many people test-driving them, and it wears out the strings. If you buy them online new from sites like musiciansfriend, guitarcenter, or zzsounds are they in perfect condition?
Last edited by HGS9669 at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by HGS9669
A lot of guitars I see at Guitar Center have fingerprints, smudges and scratches from so many people test-driving them. A lot of strats have messed up pickguards with torn plastic or bubbles. If you buy them online new are they in perfect condition?

They're supposed to be.
They're sorta better like that though, because you can easily demand money off, and get it.
Floor models are obviously going to have some play wear. Many shops stock or can order ones that haven't been played.
BUT since you're going to play the thing anyway, why wouldn't you want to try the exact one you were going to buy? I'd rather have an instrument with a scratch or two that I knew was good than gambling on a mail-order one that might be a dog.

And are you really concerned about torn or bubbling plastic on the pickguard? Surely the first thing you're going to do is take the plastic off anyway?
Quote by Roc8995
Floor models are obviously going to have some play wear. Many shops stock or can order ones that haven't been played.
BUT since you're going to play the thing anyway, why wouldn't you want to try the exact one you were going to buy? I'd rather have an instrument with a scratch or two that I knew was good than gambling on a mail-order one that might be a dog.

And are you really concerned about torn or bubbling plastic on the pickguard? Surely the first thing you're going to do is take the plastic off anyway?

The plastic's removable?! I'm an idiot.
that's why you get display models for slightly cheaper, but what Roc said
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Another cosideration is acclimation. When guitars are shipped from dry climates to damps ones or vice versa the woods will have to adapt accordingly over a period of time. This can affect playability and requires an additional setup be done after that. Many guitar stores also have new pristine stock in the back which their floor models represent. So you cna buy the untouched one, leaving the floor model to continue to be battered and eventually sold off cheaper. You're also entitled to try the new model when it's brought to you before paying!
Moving on.....
I've only bought 1 guitar in a store. It was an ibanez jem7d in which I made them special order me one. I wouldn't take the floor model because the piickguard which was a mirror was scratched like crazy. I had the guitar for about 2 years, and when I traded it I traded that which coated me 1300$ for a kh-2 which coated a bandmate of mine 2400$
you can make a deal in a store as well if they are slightly scratched. I always prefer to buy a guitar in store. But they will most likely have a better finish on the guitars from the internet
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Last year I bought a 12-string solid from the now defunct H&S guitars in Germany. It cost about 165 euro so was a sensational price. As i only use electric 12-string for a few songs, I was quite prepared for just an okay model. What arrived, by post, in just a cardboard box, was supurb. The condition was perfect and the setup had been done really well. In fact it was pretty close to being in tune!
The last guitar I bought in a shop was a brand new Yamaha in 1986 and that was also good but needed a bit of tweaking on the setup. I have no complaints about online purhase and that's the only way to get my next one at a decent price. I'm talking 270 euro less than shop price including delivery. Other advantages of buying online include the credit card guarantee so in a way you have a bit longer to assess the instrument. Of course, nothing is the same as plugging it into your own amp (I've trained my shops to expect me to test thoroughly) but in my case, I've played a similar guitar from the same source so I know how good they are. But paying all that extra is not worth it when you know what you need.
On line or in the shop you should expect a brand new guitar if thats what you paid for. I buy my guitars from the same shop as they are friendly & helpfull, well set up and you can bargain the price down to a decent level even if paying by credit card.

If you do buy an ex demo I would get it cleaned and have new strings fitted as some people aren't as "hygenic" as others !!!!!

Good topic. I have bought 4 guitars online and never had a problem with any of them. I've never bought one in a store, but almost every single one Ive picked up had some sort of scuff or flaw or just felt "slightly used", because, well, it is. Hard telling how many people have picked those things up. I also understand the logic though that you want to be sure what you are buying and that you like the setup. I will go to guitarcenter and play guitars until I find the one I want, and then order it online. Will it come setup the same? No, but everyone needs to know how to setup their guitars anyways and I enjoy it, so no big deal. Every guitar Ive gotten online has been flawless, although I have had to tweak the action and truss rod on a few. One had a pretty bad buzz on the 12th fret but I took it to a shop and had it worked out. Overall I just like my stuff new, and musicians friend gives you a month (45 days I think even) to decide whether you are keeping it or not. Whats the risk?
^ It depends on what you're buying. I know MIM strats, for example, have lots of lemons. If you're buying an Ibanez, on the other hand, the one you played in the store will be the same as what you order online.
Another advantage of online guitar shopping is they always have what you're looking for. You don't have to waste your time calling to ask if they have what you want, or wasting time and gas driving to the guitar store and finding out they don't have it.
when i ordered my gibson, it came with a dodgy connection

i also ordered an AVT 100 5/6 years ago, that came with a dodgy logo.
I have a question. Are all guitars on those websites I mentioned brand new? Like, never been played before, and in mint condition? Where do they get the guitars they send you?
Last edited by HGS9669 at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by Roc8995

pretty much.

ideally you want a perfect condition guitar, but the problem with buying unseen is that you could end up with a lemon, which if you'd tried in the store, you'd have avoided.

then again, plenty of instruments on shop walls you'd avoid too.

it's a judgement call, depends on whether you can get one in your local shop, what condition it's in, what price it is, etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well, judging by what i read of ibanezrules, what he does to the guitars, you're pretty much guaranteed to not get a lemon..... it's like a 200$ upcharge tho...
I wouldn't buy a floor model unless it was obviously new on the floor, and was an EXCELLENT guitar standing a cut above the rest.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Roc pretty much nailed it. I had a friend order from sweetwater, though, and he was concerned about getting shipped a lemon, so his sales rep told him he'd check over it to make sure it was good. So if you order from a place like sweetwater, I guess it depends on how much you trust your "sales engineering."
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
AAAARGH

I don't know which question to answer. The thread title or the one in your post. Yes AND no?

The ibanez i bought online came in pretty nice condition, but it wasn't set up at all. Guitars that come online will always be in good condition but the store models can be crappy (knobs loose, dents, noisy pickup switch). But really, it all depends. If the one you tried at the store played great, but was in a horrid and unnappealing condition, then you may want to buy online. If the company that you are buying online from is reputable, but the guitar comes in subpar condition, the company will most likely let you send it back in for the same guitar in better condition.
Quote by HGS9669
I have a question. Are all guitars on those websites I mentioned brand new? Like, never been played before, and in mint condition? Where do they get the guitars they send you?

Will someone please answer me?
All of my 5 guitars have been mailed to me. I have never had a problem with damage.

One thing i will not recommend is tube amps. DO NOT ship them with the tubes still in the sockets. Bad idea. Take them out and put them in a separate box.
Or you could buy better tubes separately.

*deposits 2 pennies*
Exactly. What do you think happens when guitar center gets a guitar? It was mailed to them. Via the manufacturer. Learn to set up your guitar and save yourself a few hundred dollars every time you buy one. Don't be picky and learn to do it on your own. It still males me laugh when someone brings in a floyd rose for a string change. If that's the case, quit playing guitar
Quote by syntheticocean
What do you mean ? They get them from theanufacturers. They aren't lnockoffs or anything

What I mean is, does musiciansfriend.com keep all the stuff on their website in some building or something. Or, say that someone orders a fender MIA strat. What do they do? Does fender mail the guitar to them, then they send it to you?
Sweetwater keeps things stocked in their own warehouse, I think. MF may do something similar. Why does that matter?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Sweetwater keeps things stocked in their own warehouse, I think. MF may do something similar. Why does that matter?

Just curious.
i returned my first mitchell because it had a had a chip in the top right by the binding. but like one of the first posters said, i probably should have kept it because it sounded nicer than the one i have and the floor model. i was just afraid it could damage the binding because you could start to see that from the chip. in conclusion i'd rather buy in store because you can get a discount on a floor model or they give you a brand new one in box from the back. so it's the same as buying online. and you support your local economy and don't wait for shipping
Quote by syntheticocean
Exactly. What do you think happens when guitar center gets a guitar? It was mailed to them. Via the manufacturer. Learn to set up your guitar and save yourself a few hundred dollars every time you buy one. Don't be picky and learn to do it on your own. It still males me laugh when someone brings in a floyd rose for a string change. If that's the case, quit playing guitar

How is that fair to say? It takes time to know what your doing with a floyd rose styled bridge, some ppl it can be 10 minutes, other maybe a month or 2. Obviously for you, you know what your doing, but for others its a massive pain in the ass.
Tell you the truth, I believe all guitars at Guitar Centers and most other guitar shops are B stock. That is what my guitar tech told me. He said he has worked in shops for the last 30 years and they order in B stock guitars to save money. At the local shop I have, they use florescent lighting, and you can actually see the blemishes on almost all the guitars, its crazy, but I can't complain.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
In the store other people have handled them, but at least you can try out what you're buying and it will/should be kept set-up and so on.

Online they'll have been sitting in a crate in a warehouse. They won't have been kept in a safe way, so if you're buying from old stock then the guitar could already have developed a perminant problem due to it's storage conditions. The main problem is you simply can't try out what you're buying.

If you're only buying some cheap thing like a Squier or Epi to dick around with, I think you can possibly risk buying online. If your purchase is a serious one (either it costs a considerable amount of money or you intend it to be one of your main guitars) then you have to buy it from a store.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Can someone explain to me what a lemon guitar is? Seriously, are you talking about a physically damaged guitar when using that term, or just one that isnt setup right for your tastes? I truly don't understand how someone could be concerned with getting a "lemon" from online. If its physically damaged somehow, you return it free of charge for a new one.....and if it isnt setup like you want, you tweak the setup. Am I missing something?
this is a damn good topic, i was kinda wondering myself. However, it is most likely if you buy a rare model, or an unpopular model, it will turn up very very ****ing dusty
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
There are pros and cons of both. I prefer to buy online, but sometimes you HAVE to play the damn thing.

I bought 2 acoustics without playing them and was very disappointed.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Page 1 of 3