Well I've been laying on my cube 30x since I started to play seriously. I just joined a band recently so I was thinking of buying a half stack.

I play a lot of pantera,metallica,slayer,megadeth anything metal(except for Avenged Sevenfold,god...)

First I just want to say that I live in Norway so there aren't that many guitar shops around here so I would appreciete you not telling me to go trying it out, I will of course do some research on it, but I hope you understand.

I tried out the randall RH120DH and I wasn't happy with the sound I got out of it. It was too bassy for my taste and there was not enough gain to satisfy my personal preferances.

I have been looking at the Kirk hammett's signature Randall KH120 and for what I've heard on youtube and and read that is amazing. I do not have the oppurtunity to try it out my self so I hoped that some of you guys here at UG could give me some feedback.

I do not have the money to get a peavey XXX o peavey 5150 or such, because guitar and amps in general is expensive is expensive here. I am open to any tips on a budget half stack that can handle heavy metal/thrash metal.

EDIT: I thought that it may be help for you guys to tell you that I am playing on a Gibson Les paul Slash signature with Seymour duncan alnico pro. So I do NOT have active pickus.
Last edited by cissaman at Jan 5, 2009,
Trenger du virkelig half stack?

Hvis du ikke gjør det kan du vel se på en Valveking 1*12, eller 2'12.
Jeg har en 112, og den spiller høyt nok til å spille med en trommis som behersker seg litt.

Nå blir jeg sikkert banna for å skrive på norsk
Quote by _Sanitarium_
"Budget" and "Halfstack" are 2 words that do not go well together.
How loud do you need to be?
What's your max budget?

this.

EDIT: Try looking at a Line 6 Flextone. Now don't bash it cuz it's Line 6. This thing is infinitely better than the Spider series. and it can get plenty of gain for the music you play.
Last edited by ortrigger at Jan 5, 2009,
Oh sorry I forgot For my own hearing and my neighbours' I think around 100-120 w if it is solid state and if it is tube maybe around 50-60 w. I do prefer solidstate this time around because I live in a house with 5 people so I can't really crank it up that much. My max would be around 1000-1500 $.
you want to buy a half stack but you intend to play it at home? so what about your band? are you intending to move the half stack around every time there's band practise?

i've told many people the same thing actually, don't buy a half stack and think that it can be used for practise in a house that is not heavily sound insulated.

so my suggestion is, yes buy a half stack if you want and need it for your band. but DO NOT CONSIDER "ability to practise in the bedroom" as a factor that should affect your decision because i can tell you all half stacks in the world will overwhelm a bedroom that is not sound insulated.
Last edited by daryle_goh at Jan 5, 2009,
That is a good point, my room is not well isolated. I don't think I will use the amp where I practise because there is already a fairly good amp there(Marshall). Maybe I should rethink the idea of getting a halfstack. Have any good suggestions for a good combo?
Quote by cissaman
That is a good point, my room is not well isolated. I don't think I will use the amp where I practise because there is already a fairly good amp there(Marshall). Maybe I should rethink the idea of getting a halfstack. Have any good suggestions for a good combo?

noooo!!!! read my last paragraph again!

buy a half stack if you need it for band practise, but don't consider "playing in the bedroom" as a factor that should affect your decision.

...do you understand what i meant?
old school ampeg? you could get one for fairly cheap, it will get all the gain you need it to. your in norway so trying one is pretty much impossible. not a ton of sound clips of these old amps but they are out there...at least i found some. ebay would be a good bet for one of these

VH-140C?

SS-150?

at least leaves ya money for a good cab too.
If you can find an at100 head and buy an avatar 4x12 I think you'll be well under 1k.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel